A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nerds  (Read 2190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2011 07:56:41 PM »

HURRAY!
Finally somethings for myself! You may think I was MIA but I totally wasn't. I've been posting stuff on the kids board. It's easier + quicker to make stuff for the little monster than for myself!!

Here's a mishmash of  reconstructed goodness!

Periodic Table of Awesomeness

My dad bought me this shirt because it reminded him of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. He knows I am SUPER IN LOVE with Sheldon [my facebook name was Ari Sheldon-Cooper for ages before I changed it to Adam West ^_^]. He bought it in super large, which is ideal for t-shirt surgeons - this he knows! I resized it, using a seperate shirt for the sleeves and hood and... wait for it....

Surprise! A keyhole back!

I love how it turned out. A LOT. The trick to making it lie flat is to have the binding a bit shorter than the cirumfr. of the hole in the shirt. Then you're kinda pulling the fabric tighter and when you put it on there is no gapey-horror. Just rad holey-ness!

Close-up of the graphic

obligatory posing with my stormies pic

Hello Sailor mini

I whipped up one of my usual stretch-knit minis and added a big kangaroo pocket to the front. This was annoying because my machine decided it hated zigzag. They'd never gotten along but this skirt was like the ultimatum. They had a fight, things were said, and my sewing machine REFUSED to zigzag any longer. I got mad. I decided to have a vodka and leave my stormies to figure it out.

Turns out a new BALLPOINT needle was all that was needed and I was able to finish the skirt. [Thanks to Hieronimo + Ben! I shared some vodka with them too] You'll be pleased to know that zigzag and my sewing machine are back together and sewing strong ^_^

Pj Pants to frilly mini!
Mum bought me these leopard-print flanno pj pants when I was preggers with Vince to wear in the hospital. Well since having him, losing baby weight and now gaining whatever the frell this weight is called, my butt split the pants! SO EMBARASSING. My husband even stitched them up for me cos he felt bad.

Then they split again.

So instead of staring at them angrily I took to them with my scissors!

VOILA

Ok looking at those few things, I need to sew more Sad Its hard because I hate looking the way I do now, and I don't want to sew anything in my size because I'm all like "What are you talking about I'm supposed to be skinny! I've always been skinny! I'll be skinny again!" and have great intentions of losing the weight so sewing anything for myself right now is kinda like a waste??? lol I don't know.
I used Thera Joyce's tutorial for turning the pants into a mini. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to her blog or not [me + limbo have a love/hate relationship]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011 09:33:08 PM »

Nice to see you again!  If you do make more clothes for yourself at your current size, couldn't you just do simple recons of them when you lose the weight you want to lose?  It seems fairly simple, but that all depends on what you make originally I suppose. Wink  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreshMade
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011 03:21:00 AM »

I can totally relate, 18 months after having my baby I should be back to normal size already!

I love the periodic table top and you've done a great job with the keyhole!! and I love what you've done with your holey pjs I would prob just chuck them on my 'do something with this fabric' pile and let them taunt me everytime I see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhimsySister
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011 06:22:12 AM »

Oh, I LOVE the periodic table top too! It's awesome with that keyhole back!!!
I could never get that to work, ever. I would have it all wonky with it looking more like an egg!

What you wrote about your weight made me look at your older posts to see and girl you have MAD talent!!!
AWESOME! I adore all that you created! You can't punish yourself about the weight by not sewing for yourself.
That's cruel and unusual punishment!  Smiley

Having babies does cause most mothers to gain weight. And it's not the easiest to take off because we are focused on our baby. Sew yourself something gorgeous and celebrate who you are right now. You deserve it and like amazing_784 said you can always recon your clothes when you lose the weight. And you will lose it.

We'll be waiting to see what you create for yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... and they lived happily ever after ... in Ireland.
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011 12:20:20 AM »

Bawww you guys ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

solsticecusp
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011 09:15:45 PM »

love, love, the sailor mini! as for the weight issue, maybe you could try making corseted stuff? i have a corset back pair of cargo pants that i can wear during both skinny and not so skinny times by adjusting laces. but keep sewing for yourself, i always enjoy your work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011 10:12:35 PM »

Cute stuff! Good to see you working on some things for yourself. I think it's important to have something cute to put on, even while changing sizes. It's a good motivator to be able to look nice, and then if you drop a few pounds you also have a gauge to help you see the sizes you are dropping. I didn't go by a scale for months, I just got excited when my clothes got baggy. Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designer Fall Shoes You Want (and Can Actually Afford)!
Backstage at Zadig & Voltaire
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Style Sound Off: Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock & Kim Kardashian
Snoop Dogg Aka Snoop Lion on Making Music With His Sons
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...