A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first Amigurumi attempt- cactus  (Read 717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tennisgal86
« on: January 20, 2011 11:24:43 AM »

ok I am about to attempt my first Amigurumi.  I would like to make a little cactus for a friend for valentines day.  I always joke with him that he is my cactus because he's tall, thin, and very boney (his ribs poke me when i hug him too hard).  My question is what kind of yarn do I buy?  can I just use regular red heart or simply soft yarn? 
I am going to at least try to follow this pattern http://www.gleefulthings.com/blog/?p=471 as much as I can (I'm not very good with patterns I usually just get the idea going and then wing the rest of it) It looks like she just used regular yarn but I wanted to make sure, then I was planning on adding in some "spikes" with fun fur yarn weaved in.  I could use some advice before I get out of work so I can stop at joanns on the way home so I hope there are some workday lurkers like myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirsa
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011 10:04:23 AM »

Regular Red Heart or Simply Soft should both work just fine for that pattern, they are both worsted weight, which is what the pattern calls for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neversaymichele
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011 12:10:38 PM »

when making amigurumi, i always use a smaller hook than recommended. for red heart or most standard weight acrylic or cotton i use a 3.50 mm hook. it keeps the stitches tight, but not too tight. if the stitches aren't tight enough, the stitches will stretch and expose the polyfill/stuffing material, which i find unsightly.

good luck with your first project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Foxy Dragon
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011 07:37:41 AM »

when making amigurumi, i always use a smaller hook than recommended. for red heart or most standard weight acrylic or cotton i use a 3.50 mm hook. it keeps the stitches tight, but not too tight. if the stitches aren't tight enough, the stitches will stretch and expose the polyfill/stuffing material, which i find unsightly.

good luck with your first project Smiley

this is very true....but the yarns you mentioned will work fine...i ALWAYS use an acrylic yarn from ami's unless I need a different type to effects like fur, or feathers.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Tristan Bancks
A Message From Audrina Partridge
Demon from the Dark Book Trailer
Robin Wasserman Talks About Crashed
Alysia Sofios Reveals Her Best Quality
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...