A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why buy it when I can make it?  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2011 07:46:28 AM »

So I've discovered a really bad habit about myself. The other day I was walking around our local Dillard's department store, and I noticed they had a whole rack of scarves and hats that were knit and crocheted out of super-chunky yarn. I kind of liked the look of them, so I checked the price tag - and they wanted $35 for one of these chunky scarves! It wasn't a particularly complicated stitch pattern (the crocheted ones looked like your basic sc scarf, and the knitted ones were just knit-purl-knit-purl), and I didn't see the point in spending $35 on it when I could just go to the LYS, buy a skein of chunky yarn for $5, and make my own.

Crocheted stuff (vests, hats, scarves, etc) have gotten really popular in the past couple of years, and I just can't justify spending that kind of money on it when I know it would be cheaper to buy my own yarn and make it (or something similar) myself. Anybody else do this, too? Or am I just a weirdo? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011 09:21:46 AM »

Oh yes...

I refuse to buy it, because it too expensive for something so simple.
I'm sure that I can make it myself.

I just never do it... But that's another problem, I'd say Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011 09:44:58 AM »

i refuse to buy things that i could make myself for less, sometimes i will buy things, but only if i know the price truly reflects the value, the rest of the time i buy yarn or beads or whatever i need and have a bash at making it, then i usually realise i didn't really want/need it anyhow and end up giving it away
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011 08:54:18 PM »

Ha, ha, you're poor!

But seriously, most people here feels that way. One of Craftster's graphics at the top of the page says "Do It Your Own Damn Self." Store-bought knit and crochet items will normally be made of acrylic anyway, which isn't as warm as animal fibers. I prefer wool to acrylic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011 02:36:08 AM »

It depends.  My time is worth money, too.  The cost of that scarf isn't just the materials--do I think it's worth my time to spend the effort in making the item? 

I'm a crafting hobbyist, not a pro, but I read the business threads occasionally.  One of main issues posters there have about pricing is that if anything, crafted items are priced too low to compensate for the crafter's labor, and that pro crafters sometimes undermine themselves by pricing off of cost alone with no regard to adequately compensating themselves for time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neversaymichele
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011 12:02:03 PM »

i feel the same way; i see something cool and think, "Oh, I can make that for less monies."
it's not about being cheap or it being less, because sometimes it can actually cost more. it's about the satisfaction of wearing something you created yourself. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair Like a Movie Star
Herbal Conditioning Mixtures for Sparkling Hair
How to Create an Up-Do with Pin Curls
How to Create a Side Up-Do
How to Care for Color Treated Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...