A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 303,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Kind of Rolled Paper Bowl  (Read 8639 times)
Tags for this thread: bowl , recycled  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 19, 2011 06:12:39 PM »

I made this for a swap and thought I would share it here as well.  I am a big fan of recycled paper crafts.  The bowl is made from one black Christmas card I received and 2 catalogs.   I am really proud of how it turned out...in fact I am having a hard time giving it away

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011 06:30:37 PM »

That it such a fun bowl!  Great job!

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
Life & Creativity Coaching
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011 06:57:44 PM »

How did you make such a beauty?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011 08:44:16 PM »

yes-tute please!this is really cool!

I would absolutely love to have a personal Halloween swap! I'm interested in jewelry, hair accessories, soap, and anything that inspires you on my Pinterest
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011 10:21:36 AM »

I am so glad you guys like it.  Ok so this really is the easiest thing to make just requires a ton of time. 

First I cut 2 catalogs into 1/2 inch strips. 

I then made the base of the bowl.  This is done the same way you make coasters. I wrap my first piece around a small stick I have and then continue to wrap the paper until the base is a size you want. You do need to put glue down the whole length of the paper.  I use fast drying paper glue.

I then cut my black card (use any card stock paper) and cut it into 1/2 inch strips.

I then wrapped the black card strips around a fat marker I have.  I covered the black ring with 3 strips of magazine paper.  I made about 100 of these rings.

I then repeated the same thing but I used a round lid I found as the item I wrapped my paper around.  I made about 50 of these larger rings.

I then used a hot glue gun and assembled the bowl.

I will add pictures to help show what I am trying to explain as soon as I get my camera back from the Geek Squad. 
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011 02:32:38 AM »

This looks so good! My sister made me something very similar to this a few years ago, unfortunately it fell victim to a vase of flowers (well, the water anyway  Smiley) I thought a few times about making another but thought it would be too complicated, but now I've seen yours I might give it a go! Did you mould it around another bowl or something to get the shape or do it freehand?

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011 07:01:11 AM »

Wow I love it!  Thanks for sharing how you got it done!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011 05:49:27 AM »

I did not mold it around a bowl but I ace a relent for eyeing things like this...using a bowl would have been easier  Smiley
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011 02:54:00 PM »

Love it! I keep saving colorful ads on heavy paper, but I haven't actually made one yet.
Your use of the black card stock in the center really makes it special.

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011 09:32:58 AM »

maybe I missed this step, but did you seal it or anything?
I made something *kind of* similar,, though mine were random shapes and colors and I used hot glue and polyurethane to seal it. (but they were coasters).
I started making a bowl recently, the typical magazine kind, not like this. But I'm out of polyurethane so I was trying to see if there Was another way to seal it. Any ideas?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Film Lab: Aspect Ratios
SNTV - Take Me Home Tonight
Our 2011 Oscars Winner Picks
Unknown Premiere
John Turturro on Acting Out an Orgasm
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...