A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Juniors patterns  (Read 435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 18, 2011 12:02:11 PM »

Hello....so this weekend I took a creating a knit t-shirt block class. The instructor was adjusting the fit on a mock up of the pattern and told me that my sizing is juniors and that I really should use juniors patterns. I have always struggled with patterns never fitting me very well (I have some juniors patterns I have yet to try), but I had no idea that woman's patterns are not really designed for my body type. I am tall and skinny, and only a 34A cup.

So I am wondering if anyone knows of a good pattern company/place to get juniors sized patterns from? I have a few that are juniors from McCalls, but it does not seem like there are many juniors patterns out there, and there is not a wide range of styles.

Thanks,
Caitlin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011 08:20:04 AM »

Hi, there!  I wish I could give you advice on your specific question, but all I know is that the major pattern companies all tend to carry juniors patterns.  But as you've noticed, the styles tend to be limited, and geared towards a younger demographic (I don't know how old you are, that may not be an issue for you, but if it's not now, it probably will be eventually).  What I will say is that you might be better off looking into tailoring techniques to adjust the fit of women's patterns to suit your body.  The biggest thing that might come in handy is knowing how to make a Small Bust Adjustment.  This is a terrific blog written by a very petite lady, and this post specifically talks about SBAs: http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com/2008/10/small-bust-adjustment-sba.html  This is a good one, too: http://jsterndesigns.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-do-small-bust-adjustment-cup.html

Anyway, learning that will maybe help make a wider range of patterns (including the ones you have!) more useful to you, and you won't be limited by the small range of juniors patterns.

Oh, you may also want to check out Simplicity's Threads patterns, which are multi-sized by overall figure type, not just multisized for one nobody-really-fits-it figure.  There aren't a whole lot of them, because they're newish, but they're increasing in number, and they're good basics to add on to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
RaraAvis

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011 09:05:11 AM »

Thanks for the advice Aislynn! I am 23 so I think some juniors patterns are nice, but some seem a little to young for me. Those websites seemed really helpful. I will have to look in to the Simplicity's Threads patterns. Thanks again!

~Caitlin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Short Ribs and Whipped Potatoes
Fall Pork Tenderloin Recipe With Apple Cider Reduction
How to Make an Open-Faced Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make a Garlic Chicken BLT
How to Make a Sushi-Inspired California Roll Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...