A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarian Lasagna  (Read 1106 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , vegetarian , lasagna  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherry_blossom55
« on: January 18, 2011 10:52:31 AM »

Hey everyone! I threw this lasagna together last night to cut up and freeze so I had food to take to my studio classes with me. I've never made a lasagna before, but store-bought veggie lasagna is really not that good and really not that healthy, so I thought I'd give it a shot, and DAMN it turned out tasty! It's chock full of vegetables and tofu, making it highly nutritious, and given that it's lasagna, it's relatively low-fat too. Smiley

(I am SO sorry for the phone pictures, but my camera was dead and I needed to cut that baby up to freeze)

Please note: some of my measurements are estimates because this was a make-it-up-as-I-go,-whatever-looks-good kind of creation. The salt/pepper/spices are approximate guesses, and can be altered to taste anyway. The chopped vegetables is a complete guess. I think they were about equal with the sauce, but there could have been more vegetables than sauce. This is not particularly important anyway, add whatever amount of vegetables feels good to you! Everything else was measured.

1 package oven ready lasagna noodles
4 cups crushed canned tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 med. Onion, diced
1-1  tbsp kosher salt (note KOSHER salt, I don't cook with regular table salt so I can't even guess how much of that you would use, but I know it's less!)
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
2-3 tbsp fresh minced parsley
4 tbsp (or a large splash) milk
4 cups diced assorted vegetables (I used red peppers, green peppers, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms)
2/3-3/4 package firm tofu, either crumbled or diced into 1cm cubes or smaller
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup shredded cheddar

1.   Put crushed tomatoes into med-large saucepan and put on med-low heat. Add onions and garlic and stir to mix. Add salt, pepper, parsley, chili flakes, oregano and milk. Cover and let it do it's thing.

2.   While sauce is heating, chop vegetables and add them to the sauce in order of hardest to softest. (ie: I chooped carrots first and added them, then chopped and added peppers and broccoli. Carrots take the longest by far.) Allow to cook, covered, about 10 minutes while chopping soft ingredients like mushrooms and tofu.

3.   Preheat oven to 350oF

4.   Turn stovetop heat to low, add mushrooms and tofu, and 1 cups shredded cheese, stir to combine and cover.

5.   Lightly butter a 9x13 glass baking dish, then place near the pot of tomato mixture.

6.   Spoon an even layer of the hot tomato mixture into the bottom of the pan, then cover completely with 1 layer of lasagna noodles (do no pre-cook if they are oven-ready noodles!) repeat the layers until out of either sauce or noodles, and be sure to finish with a sauce layer on top. (I had 3 noodles left after 3 layers of noodles and 5 layers of sauce mixture).

7.   Top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover with tinfoil, and place in oven. Allow to bake for about 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and continue baking for about 15 minutes. After removing lasagna from oven, allow to sit 10 minutes to set and cool slightly. Cut and serve!

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy this recipe Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

louhi
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011 11:42:45 AM »

This looks really delicious.  Thank you for the recipe! I really have to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011 02:25:17 PM »

mmmm that sounds so wonderful...Wanna come over and cook that for us tonight ? lol...Can't remember the last time I had any form of Lasagna..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011 07:56:50 PM »

OMG! That looks delicious! I am a vegetarian of over 10 years and I never tire of a yummy new lasagna recipe! THanks for sharing...gonna whip one up this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011 07:42:29 AM »

Thanks guys! And no problem for the recipe, if you try it out let me know how it goes! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Print Designs on Dark Transfer Paper
How to Design T-shirt Transfers on the Computer
How to Apply Embroidery Transfers
How to Choose Transfer Paper
How to Iron On Numbers to Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...