A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter Wonders- More specimens from the Marcus Kelli Collection (LOTS OF PICS)  (Read 953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Deee
« on: January 18, 2011 09:56:19 AM »

SO I have a really awesome boss who let me have an art show in the Ice Cream Shop where I work. Each of the bell Jars have a little tag with writting on it, and I thought I'd include those too! This is somewhat of a looong post but thanks for checking it out!

Here are some installation shots:

An assemblage of Marcus' ephemera and little nature bits

I actually sold the deer!

I made these trees out of books to help fill up the space, this one is from Jack London's Call of the Wild.
\
Detail w/ "knothole"
This one is A Cristmas Carol by dickens in it's entirety (including the illustrations)

Here are the specimen jars. I made the wood bases out of left over bits of black walnut (with the help of a jigsaw, belt sander, and router at my old schools woodshop where I worked) The bell jars are hand blown glass that I assisted in making- my old college was awesome and had a glass department! There are also Marcus Kelli field note excerpts for each one. (not that I expect you to read them all! lol)

Kelli's Scout Mantis
This mantis secretes a sticky fluid over most of its body, allowing it to secure itself to nearly any surface. Not only does this allow the scout mantis to live in high up/hard to reach places, but also creates a foul taste for predators. Im very excited about this discovery
-Marcus Kelli
Early Field Notes

Long Tail Mice
 I observed the mouse lay his tail near the opening of the burrow. He very curiously sat there for quite some time with the tip of his tail exposed from the burrow. The tail must be a tool to sense predators that come too near the burrow entrance, for when a curious fox sniffed at the hole a cloud of dirt rose from the burrow and he was momentarily blinded- then scuttled off annoyed. The mouse was apparently not worth the effort
-Marcus Kelli
Field Notes

Eastern Mountain Bird
This is a curious creature. Never before have I seen any animal, let alone a bird, with the mythical third eye. I found him this morning at the bottom of a very tall tree. The beast appears to have fallen, and without any apparent wings to guide him, he did not reach the ground safely. He must have used his bulbous legs to have climbed such a height.
-Marcus Kelli
Field Notes

Snow Moths
The snow moths are beautiful to watch. They flutter softly around each other, staying in tight groups of five to ten. They seem to be a favorite food of sparrows in the area. The birds swoop and lunge at them but they find safety in numbers, often confusing the birds by scattering and regrouping.
-Marcus Kelli
Field Notes

Freshwater Pygmy Whale
Up stream from the delta mouth I saw my little whale again today. At first I thought my eyes had been playing tricks on me, but the sighting today confirms its existence. It swam around, curling and uncurling its tail to propel its self it quick bursts in and out of rock crevices. Its beak like mouth seems covered in a baleen substance that it scraped along the rocks, loosening the algae from its hold and making it easier to for him to inhale his supper
-Marcus Kelli
Field Notes

The Nesting Dimi
New specimen collected- I shall name it a Dimi for its diminutive stature. It is barely the size of my thumb, with a thick mane of hair on its back. There is what appears to be a clutch of eggs nested in the fur. As far as I can tell the Dimi is a mammal. I have seen them in (very) small herds with young, but I have never been able to find a nesting site until now!  -right under my nose
-Marcus Kelli
Field Notes

Here is the "statement" for the show which was installed inside the large wooden pedestal in the upper photos:

"Welcome to Winter Wonders
An excerpt from The Marcus Kelli Collection

This installment of the Marcus Kelli collection focuses on specimens observed to thrive in harsh winter climates in regards to the winters we all face and overcome.  Here you will find the creative ways in which these animals worked to survive.
These specimens were observed, captured and mounted by the Naturalist Marcus Kelli. He discovered many specimens unknown to science as he followed the principles of Naturalism. He searched places many of his professional colleges disregarded, and thus vowed to always regard himself as an amateur, as to never overlook anything.  He artfully studied the natural world, and his sensitivity and attention to detail shows in his extensive collection of curious specimens.

The Naturalist must learn to see things that escape the eyes of most people, signs of what has passed, what is happening and what is yet to come
         -Vinson Brown From The Amateur Naturalists Handbook

If we follow this example we too will find the surprisingly beautiful works of nature that lay right before our noses." (c) Danielle Schlunegger 2011

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011 09:24:04 AM by Deee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
laur328
Blood, Sweat and Crafts.

Let's get high on art supplies and hibernate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011 10:15:51 AM »

amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rooftopstudio
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011 11:19:03 AM »

Wonderful! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of that - the notes really add to the enjoyment of each specimen. I love the way everything looks together too, the trees are beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aerangis
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011 11:34:12 AM »

This is really wonderful!

I'm in love with you Eastern Mountain Bird

and those book tree are fantastic, I might steal your idea and make one of them for my house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011 11:44:24 AM »

Wonderful!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011 12:05:48 PM »

Fan-freaking-tastic! *rocks*

ur boss is awesome, say thanks from us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
fiorinda
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011 04:16:40 AM »

Very nice!  I love the winter theme.  I really enjoy your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011 08:22:34 AM »

Yay! thanks everyone <3
I wasn't sure if there was too much writing to post... but most of the feedback I've gotten on the writing is that it goes well with the creatures it so I thought i'd bring it all to the crafster community and see what you guys think. Wink

I'm also working on a Pygmy Walrus right now, it's in the pre papermache stage ,but once it gets a little farther I think I'll get some progress shots up in the discussions board.
Thanks again for your lovely comments Grin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011 08:24:19 AM by Deee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraftykel

This place will try to change you, let it.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011 12:45:38 PM »

Incredible ~ Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every horse deserves a little girls' love.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Slick Wet Look Ponytail
How to Create a Messy Wet Look Hair
The Knot: A Great Hairstyle You Can Do At Home
The Right Way To Tease Your Hair: Hair Tips
Party Hair for Every Length
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...