A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chicken condo  (Read 8520 times)
Tags for this thread: chicken_coop , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2005 04:06:23 PM »

here is my chicken condo I made for my lovely chicklets...Verbena, Belena, and Hydra!

i am proud!  and the chicklets love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005 05:27:13 PM »

That is so cool! I love seeing animal-related projects on here. Was this hard to make? My guinea pigs would love it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005 05:28:41 PM »

And I see your dog is keeping them safe...hopefully that's whats going on. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005 05:32:32 PM »

it took a cupple weekends to build...the husband had to teach me how to use the skilsaw...that was kinda scary!  i just drew up the plans and built away!  it is moveable to so that the chicks can fertilize my yard!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005 05:53:20 PM »

Neat little chicken coop and pen.  I'd love to see your chickens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ConcreteJungler
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005 06:23:23 PM »

That is SO cool.  My sister just bought a pair of ducks and now she's wondering where to keep them.  Is your coop made of cedar?  Is it very heavy to move around?  Have you had any escapes?  Were they free range before?  How many fingers am I holding up?  Who is buried in Grant's tomb?  Where were you on the night of the fourteenth?  Sorry to ask so many questions.  but I love your coop.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005 02:52:05 PM »

That is SO cool.  My sister just bought a pair of ducks and now she's wondering where to keep them.  Is your coop made of cedar?  Is it very heavy to move around?  Have you had any escapes?  Were they free range before?  How many fingers am I holding up?  Who is buried in Grant's tomb?  Where were you on the night of the fourteenth?  Sorry to ask so many questions.  but I love your coop.  Grin

the frame is not cedar...i believe it is 1x2inch pine...but the coop house part is cedar...and it smells so good.  it isnt too heavy...it takes two of us to move it. 

no escapees yet...knock on wood.  they were baby chicks i got at a feed store outside of portland...they are now adolescent chickies.  (their voices are chainging!) 
i think you are not holding any fingers up...at least while you type.....i dont know whos buried in grants tomb...shouldn't it be grant?!   Grin

no prob...about the questions...feel free to ask some more...there is a website called thecitychicken.com and they have lots of coop ideas...also the chicken tractor...which is easy to build and moveable...so that you get a super fertilized yard/garden!  check it out. 

tal

that dog is amos...he likes to worry about the chickens...so far he hasnt hurt them at all.  i think he is protective of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005 10:58:19 AM »

tut! i need a tut! even if it's just a line drawing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005 11:40:34 AM »

*sniffle*
I miss my chickens.

You did a great job.  Is that grass on the bottom or is there a floor to the outside part?  My dad made one when I was little with a wood bottom... which didn't make much sense because you have to clean out the wood... no need to clean grass.  You know what I mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005 12:41:41 PM »

i am sorry you miss your chickens... Cry where did they go?! 

it is open to the grass on the bottom...we are fertilizing the yard and garden that way.  I really enjoy the chickies.  they fertilize and they eat leftover veggies and fruits and they eat bugs!  they rock....

tal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005 12:45:33 PM »

I had chickens years ago.  My grandfather owned a nursery, so he had lots of room for a pony and chickens.  Sometimes he let us hatch some eggs and when the chickens got too big for us, he took them to his big pen of animals.  It's so fun to hatch them and watch them grow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005 01:03:48 AM »

I had chickens years ago.  My grandfather owned a nursery, so he had lots of room for a pony and chickens.  Sometimes he let us hatch some eggs and when the chickens got too big for us, he took them to his big pen of animals.  It's so fun to hatch them and watch them grow!

it is super fun to watch them grow...my girls are so big now! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005 01:08:12 AM »

crappiefisher, i am sorry to take so flippin long to respond to you....i could prob do a paint tutorial for you...but i will need a little bit of time.  it will basicly be a sketch of the frame...i dont have a camera or i would just take a million pictures for you...i will see what i can come up with.  again, i apologize for taking so long. 

tal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulicat
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005 08:09:48 AM »

that is one slick chicken coop.  it would work great for guinea pigs and rabbits too!  thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
2BDVM
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005 02:17:20 PM »

I have a chicken hutch very similar to yours that my dad and I made several years ago.  Now, it's starting to look old after weathering and use, but same idea.  Great job on the construction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005 12:59:14 AM »

thanks 2bdvm! 

crappiefisher, here is my make shift little paint diagram ala chicken condo!

heres a few little directions:
-- make base first.  it is L-shaped so that the frame can sort of "sit" in the base. 
--then make your frame. 
--cover roost part with boards or siding or whateva!
--the doors are just wood with hinges...easy peasy. 
--cover top of roost too with somesort of wood...i used more cedar siding stuff and then roofed (is that a word?!) it.  the roofing was my favorite part...
--after base frame and roosty part is done, you can buy yerself some "poultry mesh" (thats the pc name for chicken wire at home depot) and cover that puppy up.  and wah-laaa!  you have yourself a perdy little chicken condo, or rabbit hutch, or dog run for a toy poodle, or guinea pig house, or any thing you could think of!  sometimes i would like to put my dear husband in there Wink

i am sorry that my tutorial skills pretty much suck although i am a bit proud of the paint doohicky!  sorry it took me so long to post this...i am a slacker who is in nursing school, so i have to manage my time well.  good luck with your condo if you make one! 

:-*tal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothingrhymeswithcircus
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006 07:26:58 PM »

I'm sorry. I know this hasn't been posted in forever, but
IT'S AMAZING!

I am really glad to see this.  Chickens are adorable, I love all the though and hard work that went into it! They must be some happy little birds! It looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taloola

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006 09:03:34 PM »

thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michelleandherguitar
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006 02:19:12 PM »

oh my mom would love that. she has two pet chickens (who's names i cant remember right now...) who live in their own little "condo" complete with a house with roosting poles at various heights, nests on the right wall, and a little chicken sized door leading out to a fenced in yard/dining area. they love it!

thats an awesome project you have there, i bet your chickens love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

innocentpeace143
Crafty fiend and Future Navy Wife

Oh the possibilities!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006 01:40:00 PM »

Just be careful because sometimes young chickens will sleep outside if its warm, and if they sleep against the wire walls things (racoons mostly) can reach through the wire and cause some bad trouble. We lost a few of our girls that way when they were young.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist upon a star!
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006 01:48:17 PM »

lucky chickens
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allthingspink
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007 03:30:12 PM »

I had a pet chicken when I was 14.  My friend brought him to me at school and he had it in his shirt pocket.  He was sooooo tiny.  I had to keep the poor little guy in my purse all day.  (I emptied it out for him so he wouldn't get hurt.)  He was the most awesome pet ever.  He followed me around, and if you called his name, he would just run over to you.  He pecked at the door to be let out and do his business.  He was just great.
You made an awesome house for your chickens.  You must be loved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If God really loved us, our saliva would taste like chocolate.
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007 08:53:46 AM »

OH MAN!! That sounds so awesome. My DH won't let me get a chicken...but I do have a quaker parrot. He wouldn't be the type to bring to work or school he is noisy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ariethine
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008 04:27:50 PM »

That's awesome. My grandmother has a chicken, but unfortunately takes up the laundry room 'cause her past owners were uncaring. (she kind of came with the house). My grandmother would love to have something like that to put her in it... What a wonderful idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Lima Beans
How to make Apple Dumpling
How to make Mixed Beans
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Part 2
How to make Pecan Pie with Caramel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...