A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vday FLIP IT book TUTORIAL  (Read 2150 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sminto
« on: January 16, 2011 07:40:05 AM »

I made this last year for my boyfriend (at the time -- he's now my fiance), and he loved it. He's "easily entertained," and this is one of those books that you flip through like a shark eating a fish, or a monster truck going through a ring of fire.

I have to give all the credit to a Craftster member, suganspyyce. I don't think she did a post about it, but she's the one that told me she had also made it for her husband.

You will need:
A video of yourself
Papers with a short message (I love you/Happy Valentine's Day/etc.)
Windows Movie Maker
Printer
Two 1" binder rings
Scissors

Step 1. Choose or make your own video. For the tutorial, I am using a video that I already have of Robus chasing a laser light. For the one I gave Matt last year, here's a summary on what I did...

Draw/Create/Print your message (I love you, Happy Valentine's Day, You're the Best, etc.) on card stock. I recommend card stock because it's easier to hold during your video. Use one paper for each word so it's easy to see.

You can record yourself or have someone record you. I recorded myself by sitting in front of my bedroom door with the camera on my dresser or nightstand, can't remember. Or use a tripod.

As you are recording, SLOWLY flip through each sign. Hold each one for several seconds. Try not to make any funny faces or fix your hair. Just smile and look pretty Wink Needless to say, it took me several attempts. At the end I held up each word (not gonna lie, that was tricky. Card stock helps).

That was the fun part. Now comes the time-consuming part.

Step 2. Upload your video to your computer. Find your video. Right click it, Open with, Windows Movie Maker.

You should now see your movie in Windows Movie Maker. Make sure it's facing the right way; you can fix this my clicking "Rotate right/left"

About 20 seconds worth is plenty for the book.

Step 3. Play your movie, pause for your first picture, and click Snapshot located at the top of the program. When you click Snapshot, it allows you to save that particular frame to your computer. I *highly recommend* creating a separate folder and numbering these frames in order as you save them!! This will make it easier, trust me. When I did it, yes, I had to go back and forth between the Snapshot and the original video. You can't pause, Snapshot, save a picture and then press play again from where you left off -- you have to play it from the beginning. Maybe y'all can figure out an easier way.

Step 4. Continue to play, pause, Snapshot, save.

I used exactly 40 frames.

Step 5. Select all the photos you plan on using. Again, I used 40 frames. You can select them by holding down shift while clicking on each frame or left click + drag your cursor/mouse. Right click, Print. Don't worry, it won't start printing automatically.

Step 6. Now you can choose how you want to print your photos. I suggest doing 4/page (3.5X5) or 9/page (wallet). Be sure the settings are correct at the top. I say that just because my printer setting used to automatically set itself to OneNote. Annoying.

Step 7. After they've all printed out on card stock, you'll need to cut them.

I cut them one by one. I left about half an inch of extraness on the left side to give me some room for when I hole punched them. That's important. Wouldn't you hate to punch all those stinkin' holes on the side and then it tears? Leave room so it doesn't tear! Make sure they're even because if not then it's difficult to flip through the book.

Step 8. After you've cut out all the frames and your hands ache, make them ache some more by punching two holes in each picture. Again, make sure the holes are even and aligned throughout because if not then it's difficult to flip through it at the end. Secure together with two 1" binder rings.

Step 9. Lastly, decorate your cover. I wanted something simple and not too mushy gushy, so I just wrote "flip it" in a Sharpie and added a little heart.

Step 10. Flip it to your hearts desire.

Here are some photos.. enjoy!!

Thanks for looking Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011 10:50:19 AM by sminto » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011 10:57:26 AM »

Such a sweet gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011 06:56:29 AM »

This IS time consuming!  I made one for my husband (boyfriend at the time) when he was at basic training.  I had a cute video of the two of us kissing.  I had kinkos glue the edges of the book together.

I love the sign idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Trinket Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Make a Paper Wallet
How to Make Fake Vomit
How to Carve a Pumpkin
How to Make Fake Blood
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...