A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
810 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sherlock Holmes & John Watson charity plushies  (Read 4916 times)
Tags for this thread: sherlock_holmes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Noxika
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011 05:08:51 PM »

Thank you for all the happy-making feedback! ♥♥♥

R U kidding me?! Gah, these are AWESOME! I just love the hair especially. Great job all around.
I'd love to know how you got started making these little guys, inspiration and study etc. Your work is very inspiring Smiley.

The hair probably took the longest time to do. Cutting out all those pieces..arghh.

Aww, that is so incredibly sweet, thank you!! Especially since sometimes being so close to what I'm making I have days where I can't tell if they are cute or strange looking.  Tongue

Um. I used to use polymer clay to make fandom things, but they never turned out like I could see in my head. One day I saw a random fandom plushie on deviantart and thought I'd try that medium instead (I have the unfortunate "ooh shiny!" disease, wherein I see something and HAVE to try it myself lol). It took me about three months to draft a (working) pattern and hand sew my first plushie (the 'Shawn' Psych) and the rest is kind of, as they say, history. I'm rather addicted to making them now.  Cheesy

I get myself into a bit of trouble now and then, trying to figure out clothes patterns. I have a couple of sewing books sitting on my shelf that I need to read, but It's hard to tear myself away from sewing to sit down and study them, hehe. I learned through trial and (lots of) error, and went through a lot of band-aids, lol. Cheesy

As for inspiration, Um, i'm not sure -- I just fall in love with tv show / movie characters and a light clicks on in my brain and I randomly declare out loud that I need to plushify them! hehe. Cheesy

...and I'll stop there because that's probably wayyy more than you wanted to know. Cheesy
♥♥ Thank you again for your lovely feedback on my work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011 05:38:07 AM »

Amazing. Even better that you're self taught. There are great patterns with instructions out there for free if you want to try something out without all the trial and error sometime. Ghilie's poppets and punkins are terrific for learning how to joint limbs and there is a boat load of inspiration in those threads (try looking at the enormous poppetalong using the "images only" function).
Your work is great, just wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011 08:37:47 AM »

Oh, these are awesome! I'm been having severe Sherlock withdrawal ever since that cliffhanger of an ending to the mini-series, and can't wait for the show to start this year. Your plushies are spot-on (well, John could do with a little less innocent look, but heck, he has his adorably clueless moments). And, omigod, the edits with the screencaps. I nearly died from the awesome.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
Dyani
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011 07:12:43 PM »

So adorable. The hair especially is fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnightTemplar

I'm a ninja zombie bunny robot princess.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011 08:20:42 PM »

They are so cute! I love the hair!  and the coat. I want a full sized one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be a saint is the exception, but to be upright is the rule. err, falter, sin, but be upright.

I craft, and live in my spare time.
Noxika
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011 10:02:35 PM »

Ghilie's poppets and punkins are terrific for learning how to joint limbs and there is a boat load of inspiration in those threads (try looking at the enormous poppetalong using the "images only" function).

I saw those recently, but there's something about the eyes on the poppets that freak me out a bit so I stopped looking at them, lol. I might have to go check out the pattern and see how they do the limbs, thanks!

Oh, these are awesome! I'm been having severe Sherlock withdrawal ever since that cliffhanger of an ending to the mini-series, and can't wait for the show to start this year. Your plushies are spot-on (well, John could do with a little less innocent look, but heck, he has his adorably clueless moments). And, omigod, the edits with the screencaps. I nearly died from the awesome.  Wink

ME TOO! Why only three episodes?! WHYYY!! lol. My favourite moments of John are when he's all wide-eyed with wonder when Sherlock does some nifty deducing "That's fantastic...", "Amazing.." hee. I wanted to try and give him that expression. Not entirely sure it worked... but oh well!

haha. I do that with all my plushies. I'm afraid I'm going to be re-using them when I post my fullsized plushies in a few days. Well, I might have to find a new John cap 'cause he's not wearing *the* jumper, but I'm using Sherlock again - it's too good not to. Wink

So adorable. The hair especially is fantastic.

Thank you!!

They are so cute! I love the hair!  and the coat. I want a full sized one.

Aw, thank you! I have a full sized one almost done (just having trouble with his silly gloves) but his hair is different. Hope you like him, too! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stove037
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011 09:03:37 PM »

These are perfect!  I'm sure they will do great at the auction!  I love this new adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.  So much better than the stupid Guy Ritchie one!  I'm also a big Martin Freeman fan so I love Watson!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's not think of tomorrow, but let's enjoy this fleeting moment of life." ~ Omar Khayym

pinterest - http://pinterest.com/stove037
wists - http://www.wists.com/stove037
teaandcraft
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011 09:28:10 PM »

Fantastic! They look great Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
prettyrustyrobot
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011 10:20:00 AM »

cute! i looove holmes' little coat and his hair is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoopla 5 swap: stitching!
iyp18 : dancing away!
make a friend : waiting.

wists: wists.com/prettyrustyrobot
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Noah Charney
Meet Author Susan Patron
Tough Customer Book Trailer
Antwone Fisher Reveals What the US Navy Taught Him
Rachel Kushner Talks About Telex from Cuba
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...