A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need orginization help  (Read 2529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caitief
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011 04:35:32 PM »

I am finally actually getting organized. I had everything in one plastic Target bag, but it got to be too much. I went out and got a bobbin organizer from Freecycle (with bobbins!) and I am going to organize everything by projects in there.

I am trying to keep it all to one canvas bag so it is easy to take it with me to my various meetups!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sillybowtie
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011 03:38:09 PM »

I keep my floss on the plastic holders in a box. I also have a Google Document of all of my floss colors so when I am at the store I can look at my phone. This has saved me several trips back to the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012 12:08:04 PM »

I have been working on Teesha Moore inspired patches, which require No. 5 and regular embroidery floss. I have not figured out what organization system I like best, but I do have some things figured out. Teesha just keeps her thread in a tangle and pulls out what she wants, then cuts it off  Cheesy That is way too "free style" for me. I don't really need to keep track of the numbers because I don't do cross-stitch, but I do like to keep the numbers with the floss. I bought a bunch of No 5 and 8 floss at a thrift store and I use that for my patches, most of it does not have numbers attached any more. As I buy more floss, I need a storage solution. The thing I don't like about the bobbins is that the floss gets creased and I am not going to iron or dampen my floss before I use it as some people have suggested.
I was thinking that I would like an oval or spool system instead of flat cardboard or plastic bobbins.
How do you handle the creases. Is it a problem for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012 09:20:15 PM »

Have you seen those DMC Stitchbow things?  They might crease the floss a bit, but since they are longer perhaps it might not be as much of an issue? 

If worst comes to worst, have you thought of trying sewing machine bobbins and winding your spare floss on those?  If not, maybe buy a larger dowel, cut it into smaller more manageable segments, notch the top to hold the tail, and wind floss onto one of those.  Or maybe even cut up an empty paper towel tube or toilet paper tube?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Craftsunderground
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012 02:47:33 PM »

thanks for the reply.
I wound my No. 5 thread around empty pill bottles. The cap keeps the end from unravelling and I put the number band inside the bottle. You can also keep needles or extra floss in there. But these took a long time to roll 20 skeins and I have a lot more than 20 of the regular floss. I bought some stitchbows to try. They look like a good idea.
I found some floss at a thrift shop. The previous owner had cut the floss into about 18 inch hanks. I put those onto 1-inch plastic rings that I had in my stash. That works pretty well, but looks messy and it is difficult to carry around a lot of floss that way. It seems there are flaws to every system.

I didn't think of sewing machine bobbins. I could wind them on my sewing machine and they wouldn't take that long to do. I will have to try that. I wonder whether one bobbin would hold a whole skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012 07:55:44 PM »

It's the classic card organizational method but it works for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Bouquet Holder
How to Make a Pillow and Blanket Set For the Car
Making Cards From Sandpaper
Three Tips for Embroidering Your Own Monograms
How to Make a Candy Box
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...