A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need orginization help  (Read 2541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KittyJekyll
GoofBall

I give you all the love that I can.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2011 02:56:34 PM »

I'm dipping my hand into may diffrent crafts and i need to get organized does any one have and ideas how I could? your threads/colors your patterns your crafts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When and doubt get the hell out.~GH______If wishes were fishes we would all be in an ocean.~JR______Right place wrong time they tell me to Hang cool teddy bear.~Meatloaf peace on earth
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011 09:08:52 PM »

For embroidery, I use two big bags and my floss boxes. I wind all the embroidery floss I purchase onto plastic bobbins (the ones in my username photo), then organize them in floss boxes by color. I don't cross stitch, so while I write the number of the thread on each bobbin I don't organize by number.

As for the bags, I use one bag as my project bag. All projects that I'm working on go in there, along with the floss colors I'm using, a pair of tweezers, and a pair of scissors. In the other bag I have all my extra supplies: fabric, hoops, patterns, and threads in skein form (silks and other delicate threads I don't want to wind onto bobbins). The two boxes of thread sit under this bag.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011 09:11:08 PM by Obsessed Knitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011 05:50:39 PM »

I use floss bobbins and write the color on them. I keep the bobbins together depending on what I need. For other floss, I have color coded boxes for different hues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011 12:06:25 PM »

I use a ringbinder with those clear plastic sleeves to organise my patterns.

I have one small box or bag for everything I need for my current project, and then have everything else sorted into plastic bags, folders and boxes.

But keeping it all organised is a constant challenge! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aislinntx
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011 09:50:29 AM »

The binder idea is genius! I gotta try that when I get home. But then that make me want to index things too. Gotta keep myself FTP
Nerding out too much!!

I'm a cross stitcher, so I have my floss (all DMC) organized by number. I keep them in the original skeins. I use sandwich baggies to group floss by 100s. If I have a lot of one color then it gets it's own baggie. When I start a project, I pull out the floss I need. I usually work on the couch, so I have a wicker basket on my coffee table where my pattern, hoop, floss, etc go. It's easy access and not too much of an eyesore.

Interesting side note... The iPhone autocorrect for "baggies" changes it to "maggots.". Quite different things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xperimentl
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011 06:21:34 PM »

I have my floss on cardboard bobbins that are labeled with the floss color number.  I keep the floss sorted by color groups in DMC storage boxes (or you an buy a bead box etc).  The boxes also have a larger section that leaves space for my needle packages and a small pair of scissors.  I have a photo storage box where I keep my extra floss, so when a bobbin runs out I can refill it.

I print most of my patterns off of the computer so I try to keep them marked as favorites on flickr or keep them in a special folder on my desktop.  I keep printed patterns and transfers in an accordion file sorted by designer.

I have just a small square gift box about 4" x 4" that I use when I am working on a project that holds bobbins of the colors I am using, a pair of scissors, and a pincushion for my needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
whitterp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011 09:05:32 AM »

I use long floss holders that can be used to organize new floss or to to wrap old floss around. I like these better than the shorter ones mentioned in another post because you don't have to unwind thread to use them, and then you keep all thread, new or leftover organized the same way. There are numbered stickers you can buy, or you can use a sharpie to write on them, but I usually skip this because I prefer to organize by color.

http://www.amazon.com/DMC-GC001-StitchBow-Floss-Holder/dp/B000Y3F6IE

I put them into binder inserts(they come in different sizes depending on your binder) and have an extra that I keep empty and then use for the project I'm currently working on.

http://www.amazon.com/jbr1083-DMC-StitchBow-Binder-Insert/dp/B000Y3IYME

I'm including links because I'm not very good at describing them :p This system works well for me because then I don't have to search through plastic bags to find the color I want, each one is displayed individually in its own pocket, but since it goes into binders it doesnt take up much space. It's really easy to just flip through and see all your pinks together, all your blues etc without having to pull them all out to compare.

Yes, I spent money on this system obviously but it wasn't a lot and to me its well worth it. Plus the stitchbow products are great because they all coordinate with their other organization products, and I'm a huge organization geek! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011 09:06:22 AM by whitterp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.whitneymakes.wordpress.com

pinterest.com/whitneymakes
wvudarling
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011 09:54:41 AM »

I wrap all my thread on the cardboard DMC bobbins and organize them in the thread boxes (I do both cross stich and embroidery, so I organize by number).  The only thing I do differently than a lot of people is that I have a 5 star type binder for my current project.  I put the floss bobbins I need in it using a coin collector sheet (it's clear plactic with square pockets the perfect size for a bobbin) then I use the binder's other pockets for scissors, needles, etc.  I keep all the things aren't thread or a current project in baskets on a bookshelf.

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aurone
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011 02:57:12 AM »

I am a cross-stitcher and have tried several techniques for organizing my floss.  I have tried the special DMC binders, but I am not a fan as the number slips fall off too easy.  I used the plastic bobbins to wind my thread around and then I label the bobbins by number.  I organize them by number into a bobbin box which you can buy at any craft store or in a tackle box which is sometimes cheaper and looks just like the bobbin box. 

For patterns, there are two good ways.  You can buy some plastic sheet covers, like students use for notes and put one pattern in each sheet and then put them in a three ring binder, this works good for patterns printed off the computer.  Or you can keep then thicker patterns you have bought in a file box.  And organize them by designer or whatever.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrittanyVictory
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011 02:59:40 PM »

I'm a broke-ass college student, so all of my organizational tools are free of from the thrift shop! XD

-I keep all of my embroidery stuff in a big-ish cardboard box. i'm going to paint the box when I get the time/inspiration
-All of my hoops and fabric are stacked and folded at the bottom of the box
-I have a pretty cigar box that a friend gave to me, and I keep all of my floss and needles in it. I don't like keeping my floss in the original packing, because I'm picky, so I keep it wound on little squares of cardboard I cut out.
-I also keep my current project in a big plastic ziplock bag. That way I don't lose what I'm working on, and I can drag it around with me to school, work, etc. I keep the fabric I'm working on, a hoop or two, all the flosses I need for the project, usually the original sketch/design/pattern the work is based on, needles, etc in the bag. I also mark it with my name and number in case I lose it.

Hope this helps! ^___^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently collecting PUNK ROCK EMBROIDERY! Cheesy
Message me if you're up for a personal swap? <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Grown-Up Glitter Eye Makeup
Beauty Test Lab: Brush-On Mascara
Is Coconut Oil a Beauty Miracle?
How to Rock Wet-Look Lids
What Make Up to Wear with a Tan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...