A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Black Bean Soup from Scratch (Mostly)  (Read 2293 times)
Tags for this thread: vegan , soup , black_bean , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMalaprop
« on: January 15, 2011 01:46:47 PM »

I just made this vegan black bean soup on Thursday and posted details to my blog yesterday, but I thought I would share it here as well.

Since the weather has gotten cold and weve had a package of dried black beans sitting in the pantry forever, I decided to make some black bean soup. I had checked out a whole bunch of recipes online for black bean soup, but I didnt strictly follow any recipe in particular. Here is what I did:

First I soaked the 1 pound package of dried black beans overnight. Rinsed and drained them. Then I diced up about half an onion and a whole jalapeno. Sauteed those in some olive oil for a couple of minutes. (Note: depending on how spicy you like things you may not want to do a whole jalapeno. We like spicy things.)

Then I added some garlic salt, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and minced garlic. I am my mothers child, so I dont really measure anything when it comes to spices. I just keep tasting and adding as needed along the way. I thought about adding cayenne pepper too, but refrained until I tasted how spicy the jalapeno would make it. If you like it SUPER spicy you could add some cayenne or hot sauce along the way. After adding spices, I added vegetable broth and then added the black beans. I simmered this whole concoction on low for about forever. Well, almost all afternoon, checking on it and stirring and tasting often.

After it had been simmering for a few hours, I also added a can of Mexican-style tomatoes with green chilies, a can of pinto beans, and a can of corn. (Note: if you want to speed up this whole process, you could also use canned black beans instead of dried black beans. I used the dried beans since we already had them in the cupboard.)

Next, I ran about half of the soup through our Vitamix blender, to give it a creamy smooth texture.

Then I put the blended soup back with the chunky soup and continued to let it simmer until the black beans were thoroughly cooked and it was super tasty and delicious.

Okay, so my addition of a giant handful of cheese on top makes it not vegan, but until that point it was. Obviously you dont have to eat it with cheese if you dont want to. We also served it with some tasty garlic bread I found at the supermarket. Dave approved. I am the master of one-pot cooking!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012 08:39:57 AM by MissMalaprop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleidoscope_eyes
dimestore diamond -shines just like the real thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011 02:15:42 PM »

YUM. Thanks for sharing! I will have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011 03:00:35 PM »

Looks great! I'm bookmarking this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011 03:27:59 PM »

Sounds awesome....I love black bean soup!  The spicier the better...

Cheese/Dairy products seems to be the line that a lot of vegetarians don't want to go w/out.  But if you want to try to make your own Vegan "cheese", here's a link, http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7108.0 ...then if someone wanted they could try this recipe all vegan...yummy either way, i'm sure. Smiley  Thank you for the awesome recipe..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011 01:28:21 PM »

Looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011 03:57:18 PM »

Wow this looks so delish.  I will have to make this soup and invite some good people over for a lil dinner party.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011 08:57:20 AM »

Looks good.  Thanks for sharing.  I tried a packaged variety once that was...um..not good.  Maybe it's time to try again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Basic Knit Stitch
Introduction to Yarn Fiber Types
Introduction to Yarn Textures
Deciding Which Yarn to Use
How to Weave at Ends
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...