A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycling your fruits and veggies? Is it possible?  (Read 1260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darthlaurie
« on: May 27, 2005 01:49:54 PM »

Okay, so I was thinking (yeah...probably dangerous!) that I would love to get a container garden going, but at the moment I'm horribly broke. So here I am at work plotting attempting something weird. We all know how to plant an avocado if we are so inclined. Apple seeds work just swell under the right conditions.
Soooo....what edibles can I buy from my produce section, eat, and plant the seeds? If this is possible, how would I go about doing it? canned tomatoes have seeds. There are poppy seeds in my spice rack, edamame in the freezer...could any of this be planted? What about strawberries? If I scraped off the seeds, could they be planted? Does anyone know where to look for information? I've looked, but I haven't come across anything. Huh
~Laurie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005 05:41:20 PM »

The seeds from canned tomatoes will not grow.  They've been cooked.  The seeds from fresh produce is iffy.  The fruits and veggies we buy are mostly hybrids.  The seeds are either going to be sterile, or revert back to one of the parents, which may or maynot be a good thing.  Also, remember, that the produce that we buy was picked green.  I've tried to plant poppy seeds from the spice rack, with no luck.  Some of the veggies, such as broccoli and cauliflower, we are eating the flower buds.  Green beans, snow peas and snap peas, sweet corn, we eat the immature seeds.  Green bell peppers, are another immature vegetable, a ripe one is red, yellow, orange or purple.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005 07:49:33 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammy
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005 05:44:00 PM »

Although it's not quite along the lines that you were thinking, most of the fruits and veggie scraps from my household end up with my guinea pigs or my mouse. They loooooove it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtle
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005 07:46:31 PM »

So, given the above comments, you know not to bother with cooked (canned, blanched, and probably frozen) produce.  Also avoid things sparayed with synthetic pesticides (anything not labled organic) and really, really, avoid genetically modified foods (anything with a 5 digit produce number that starts with an "8").

What's left?  Organic (a 5 digit produce number that starts with a "9") and fresh.  Some will inevitably be hybrids.  Apples are ALWAYS hybrids.  You can't grow regular supermarket apples from seed at all - they will be very small, and probably not so tasty, like crabapples.  Other than that try anything you want.  I've got potatoes going right now.  Just cut them into chunks and plant.  (Make sure that your soil doesn't have lead in it - so you don't poison yourself!  If in doubt, test it. The lead could come from gasoline spills or from old house paint.)

Tomatoes often work very well.  As do peppers. Berries don't, as they take forever to grow from seed usually.  Pumpkins, cukes, and others in the squash family are really fun, but be prepared to let them take over a HUGE area!  Well, the cukes just need to climb a bit. Try bulbs like onions, whole scallions, garlic, etc. - they have pretty flowers that taste like the bulbs, and they grow very easily, even in shade.

Cats, even ones named "Vegetables" probably won't grow much if you plant them.  But they are cute, and they like to nibble on oatgrass.

Let us know if you try anything!

-Turtle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LucyLu
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005 03:56:38 AM »

Aren't seeds (in packets) pretty cheap?  Like 25 cents a packet or something.  I would go to Lowes or Walmart and check them out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005 06:10:31 AM »

Potatoes are neat because they make big vines inside.  Have you ever grown a carrot from just the top?  Once you cut off the top part that you wouldn't eat, put it in a shallow dish of water and the top will grow green again, it's very pretty.  You can also grow a cabbage again with the bottom core of a cabbage (again in a dish of water).  None of these will really grow worth eating, but they are pretty and unique. 
You can grow citrus from seeds through a complicated process of drying and chilling seeds in your fridge before planting, I know there is info about this on the internet... but again, you will end up with a variety unlike that yummy orange you ate.
you can grow poppies from those seeds if they haven't been heated or something weird, I'd just try it if you have some around, but poppies hate to be transplanted so they may die easilly once they have out grown their pot, which can be tricky because the seeds are so small to start with.
have you ever grown sprouts?  That is really fun and you can eat the result.  You can use beans of any kind in a jar (check the 'whole foods' thread on here) or you can buy alfalfa or radish seeds (much smaller and yummy raw).  You can also sprout grains or if you just want to grow grass you can use any whole grain like whole wheat, millet, rice, buckwheat, etc.  they make nice grass and if you have any cats or dogs they can eat the grass when their tummies hurt.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
melosond
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005 06:21:47 AM »

It's won't bear fruit for a few years, but it's neat anyway: you can cut the top off a pineapple and plant it. There are directions for that here: http://www.yougrowgirl.com/grow/save_pineapple.php

The yougrowgirl.com website is very helpful, too. It's like a small craftster for gardening.

Good luck!
Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005 03:53:59 PM »

you generally need to let tomato seeds ferment before drying and planting them.  it is a stinky process, but if you just do a few then it won't be too bad!  If you use an heirloom variety tomato, you will get that tomato. like brandywine or yellow pear, likely ones you could find at a farmer's market rather than the grocery store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
Trip_and_fall
conure slave

Take yo' meds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006 05:43:31 PM »

well, Ive got lots of advice for you, forst, If need seeds, I will gladly send you what you want in time for planting season. I have somewhat of a large garden (5-6 acres of garden) and alot of seeds get left over or reused. With tomatos, I frequently buy heirloom tomatos (as before said It is VERY important to buy organic) and use the seeds and plant them. flesh out the seeds with the pulp, and put them in a bll mason jar for a couple hours to separate them, its ok if they dont totally. Then, spred them out on a paper towel (you are going to save this towel) and let them dry. ther's your ready to plant tomato seeds! and with the pinapple, it takes a long time for them to produce fruit. I've had mine (made in the same way) over two years, and still no fruit. oranges grow, but fruit wont grow for a few years. remember, I will GIVE these seeds to you, just give me a list of what to send (message them to me) and I'll send what I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Greetings, I am POOP from outer space
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Moisturizing Hair Conditioner
How to Texture Hair
Short Hairstyles for Women
African American Hairstyles Tips
How to Create Long Hair Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...