A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Cicada Plush  (Read 1912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tylon

Graphic Designer & Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2011 08:44:18 AM »

Not sure of the actual critters full name (I know theres many types of cicada...) but google green cicada, and you get these adorable lime green little critters.

So... since I love cicadas (Animal crossing got me hooked!) I wanted to make one. So last night, I put this little guy together.

My hands are throbbing from the legs... took me HOURS to get them all out. If anybody has any suggestions on a better way to do this, feel free to tell me. My wooden stick snapped so I used a screwdriver. HAH. And also the wings... I stitched them on underneath, so the stitching doesn't really show... but still... always open to ideas. Cheesy

Thanks so much for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a graphic designer. I am an illustrator. I am a photographer. I am a writer. I am a crafter. I am an artist. I am a creator.
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011 11:04:10 AM »

Awesome. Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011 11:25:58 AM »

who woulda though a little green bug could be so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011 01:54:46 PM »

I like him!  I have some extra stuffing sticks if you're interested.  Let me know. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tylon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011 03:29:50 PM »

Stuffing sticks- the wooden ones, right? They come with the stuffing? I have 2, one just broke... >_< So I use a tweezer and screw driver sometimes to push it out. Just the legs on the bugs are a PAIN. Unless there are other sticks out there, I have no idea. Hah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a graphic designer. I am an illustrator. I am a photographer. I am a writer. I am a crafter. I am an artist. I am a creator.
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011 04:10:10 PM »

Stuffing sticks- the wooden ones, right? They come with the stuffing? I have 2, one just broke... >_< So I use a tweezer and screw driver sometimes to push it out. Just the legs on the bugs are a PAIN. Unless there are other sticks out there, I have no idea. Hah.

Yeah, just the wooden stuffing sticks that come w/stuffing.  I've got a ton of them lately.  Been buying stuffing like crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PawPrints
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011 04:26:39 PM »

I use turning tubes when I have to turn skinny things like those legs...it's a tube and a stick together, and you use the stick to push the fabric through the tube, and it makes turning SO much faster and easier!!!  I used to lose my mind turning things before I got my turning tubes.  I'm sure you can get them at any craft store.

Very cute by the way!  I normally don't like any kind of bugs, but yours is adorable Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting hopes and dreams out of stitches and seams

My sewing adventures: www.bellstitches.com
Tylon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011 05:02:30 PM »

Turning tubes? Where can I purchase those? I don't really have craft stores near me, theres walmart... I have been ordering all online. Cheesy Thanks so much for the info, I will have to look into one!

I spent like a couple hours sewing this (with breaks) and like... seriously 4-6 hours trying to turn the legs, my hands were in so much pain. So I have been trying to avoid it hahaha.

and thank you so much for all the wonderful compliments! Hah I think it's the eyes that make them a bit more cute. I'm a huge bug fan, and I always feel like they arn't ever appreciated so... I try to appreciate them hah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PawPrints
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011 08:09:55 PM »

Turning tubes? Where can I purchase those? I don't really have craft stores near me, theres walmart... I have been ordering all online. Cheesy Thanks so much for the info, I will have to look into one!

I spent like a couple hours sewing this (with breaks) and like... seriously 4-6 hours trying to turn the legs, my hands were in so much pain. So I have been trying to avoid it hahaha.

and thank you so much for all the wonderful compliments! Hah I think it's the eyes that make them a bit more cute. I'm a huge bug fan, and I always feel like they arn't ever appreciated so... I try to appreciate them hah.

Try JoAnn Fabrics website, I'm sure they have them!  I'll try to explain in a little more detail how they work:  You push the plastic tube inside of the fabric tube you're trying to turn, all the way to the end.  Then, you take the stick, and start pushing the end of the fabric tube inside of the plastic tube.  Keep pushing, and it will turn your fabric tube inside-out for you with minimal pain and frustration.  They come in several different diameters too.  I totally know what you're talking about, I remember trying to turn stuffed animal tails before I got my turning tools.  I think I probably threw them across the room more than once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting hopes and dreams out of stitches and seams

My sewing adventures: www.bellstitches.com
Tylon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011 09:59:15 PM »

I was looking and I couldn't find it on the website. I know my friend sent me a website in japanese (have no idea what it says/ how to order hah). I have everyone in my family on a lookout. I also need to somehow find a place around here that sells stuffing, since I just found out that our walmart did away with everything fabric, thread, sewing stuff and stuffing. :/ and I just bought some as of 2 weeks ago!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Part 5 - How to Make Tempura Noodles
7 Steps to Eating Healthy at Chinese Restaurants
Thai Foodcast: Green Curry Chicken
How to Make a Curry to go with your Beer
Thai Foodcast: Thai Basil Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...