A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gnocchi - a bit of a recipe and some questions  (Read 1890 times)
Tags for this thread: gnocchi , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

korok

Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2011 09:51:21 AM »

I made some gnocchi today!  I based my "recipe" on my prior gnocchi making experiences with my mom, and some internet recipes.  Instead of using ricotta though, I thought I'd try cottage cheese - I often use it instead of ricotta in manicotti and lasagna, so why not?  It's cheaper too!

Here's my somewhat recipe:  (sorry it's not more precise)
2 containers of cottage cheese (total of 1 kg - approx. 1 pound?)
2 eggs
1/4 cup parmesean cheese - the cheap stuff, not the freshly grated stuff
at least 4 cups of flour, likely more (sorry for this approximate measurement)

Mix in a bowl, knead on a floured surface, adding more flour until not too sticky.  Cut off sections about the size of your fist.  Roll sections into a snake about 3/4 - 1 inch thick.  Cut into uniform pieces - mine were a bit longer than 1 inch.  For decoration I lightly pressed a fork onto the top (mostly to get my toddler involved).  My mom always makes a little finger press in them so they look like pillows.

After making a few, I boiled some up, put butter and salt on them and they tasted pretty good.  The internet recipes I looked at used the words "melt-in-your-mouth."  Mine didn't really melt... I've eaten bad gnocchi, and mine are decent, but how melty can gnocchi be?  It's pasta! 

So my questions:  Can gnocchi be "melt-in-your-mouth"?  Is it not possible with cottage cheese, only with ricotta cheese gnocchi?  Is it possible to add too much flour?  My dough was still a bit sticky - should I have added more flour?  Added water to the recipe? The taste was good, but now I'm hoping for the best texture possible!  Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011 10:04:06 AM »

Ooh! Sounds like cavatelli!  A familly friend taught me to make cavatelli last year.  Yum yum.

Gnocchi, as I understand, is usually made with potato instead of cheese.  I haven't made potato gnocchi successfully yet...  My mother in law says that you have to bake the potatoes rather than boil them like I had.  I'll have to try again.

The "melt in your mouth" bit doesn't really mean that it will liquify instantly, more that they are soft and come apart without being too chewy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011 10:15:03 AM »

I've never heard of Cavatelli.  I'll have to look into it.  I've had potato and ricotta gnocchi, so that's why I tried cottage cheese.

I didn't really expect it to liquefy in my mouth.  I know gnocchi will be somewhat chewy. I guess I need to eat more types/versions of gnocchi so I can develop my own measure of chewiness.  Ricotta vs. potato vs. cottage cheese!  A wonderful challenge awaits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011 10:38:13 AM »

We were just about to make some tonight for dinner!   I usually make it with potatoe, not flour, but it sounds like your recipe is kinda a different thing.  It looks interesting, I'll have to try it sometime. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011 11:07:52 AM »

Hey! I just made sweet potato gnocchi yesterday! I've never made it with cheese before... I've never even heard of doing it that way.

I boil my potatoes with the skin on and remove the skin and push them through a ricer while they are still hot. I have found that if I make the gnocchi rather small and don't over-do the flour that they turn out much nicer and 'fluffier'.

I've tried freezing them but they just end up as globs, I've also added too much flour and ended up with hardish knobs of boiled dough... neither of those was very nice.

Yesterday they were delish  Cheesy

These aren't from yesterday but...

Mmmm. I also roll mine differently than yours too...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011 11:11:30 AM by Knickertwist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

korok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011 02:55:11 PM »

Okay, after a full plate of my experimental gnocchi, I realize they are quite heavy and a bit chewy, due no doubt to the rubberiness of cottage cheese.  Not gluey like some gnocchi I've had, which was what I was really hoping to avoid, so, score on that front! Tasty and edible, but I don't think I'll make this again.

Next time I'll do potato.  And sweet potato sounds really yummy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011 01:34:07 PM »

I have never made gnocchi - I have always been a bit intimidated by the whole thing, even though I love to eat it.

The sweet potato gnocchi sounds amazing, may be one day soon I'll be brave enough to try!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Haloofsoil
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011 12:13:56 PM »

I know this is a couple months late, but I love gnocchi!!

I've only ever made it with potato; I push the stuff through a sieve... It nearly kills me, but it's so worth it.

I have a recipe for spinach gnocchi too; you can't really taste the spinach much, but it looks nice and it makes me feel less guilty about eating them :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardyjenni
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011 06:53:58 AM »

this is the ricotta gnocchi I use.  it's a little hard to keep them from sticking because there's not much flour, but that leaves them nice and soft.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kathleen-daelemans/ricotta-gnocchi-recipe/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011 06:58:06 AM »

I tried making gnocci out of bread once, but ended up with a sloppy, milky mess. I should try it again 'cuz I've got a real craving now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetarian Kuay Diu Soup Part 1/2
How to Make Vegetarian Kuay Diu Soup Part 2/2
How to Make a Bean Sprout Stir Fry
How to Make a Traditional Curry
Hand Roll Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...