A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jacket resize HELP NEEDED!!!!!  (Read 1653 times)
Tags for this thread: resize , help , punk , jacket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

badgerbear
« on: January 14, 2011 03:36:20 AM »

Lips sealed
So I found this really cute jacket in my local charity shop for 4 and it was waay too small but 4!  Cheesy so I decided to resize it. I was doing okay, I added in a corduroy front and did my very first zip! But I realised after just blundering on in there It was VERY wonky. I added length as well using a scarf and THAT came out wonky too!  Angry

So here are some pics and details about it

you can see pretty clearly just how wonky I went! I thought perhaps I might find a plain fabric and cover the top part of the wonk quite easily but I really dont know what to do about the bottom

As you can see the bottom is a real mess. I considered adding ribbon along the seam but its stretchy and ribbon is not. any suggestions would be welcome

side view actually looks not too bad!

(sorry about the quality of this pic!) You can see here just how bad I did!

I really like this jacket and I want to make it real good and something I can be proud of. At the moment though I am all stressed out by it so Im reaching out to the craftster community for HELP!!!!! I would really appreciate it!
Thanks for looking! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

to craft is to live!
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011 05:31:49 AM »

The best thing to do at this point is see if  you can correct the zipper installation. take one side off and realign it to match the top and bottom and pin at both. Pin at the center of the zipper and at the center of the cord panel and when you go to sew it back in just ease it between the pins. Sometimes, actually most of the time, a zipper can get distorted in a jacket when you don't pin to match it up. Also interfacing the fabric along a zipper edge helps keep the fabric from pulling unevenly but the pinning really helps a lot.

I have done a lot of zipper replacing alterations and that's the only real secret: pin the top, bottom and center. Just because the panel, or jacket is even doesn't mean that little booger is going to sew in evenly.  When you have a zipper hoodie with a pocket, pin the top, bottom and match up the pocket so when you sew the zipper in it's not skewed.

I hope that helps with the zipper! On a side note...if you have more cord, I think doing the bottom strip in cord and putting new ribbing on it would look cute. It would look really coordinated Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
badgerbear
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011 06:21:23 AM »

Thank you!  Smiley Zippers are slightly beyond me so its really helpful to get some tips- most of what I am doing at the moment is trying to self teach but some things you just need help with! It was strange I lined up the zipper but I guess the cord must have slipped during construction, most annoying!
Thats a really good idea for the bottom section, I don't have any more of that particular cord- someone just gave it to me for my scrap fabric pile! I think the only problem with cord is that its not stretchy, so while it would look coordinated it might not be so comfy when I wear it. I definitely like the idea though, I will start on the zipper issue first and ponder on the fabric to use  for the bottom!
Thanks again for your advice! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to craft is to live!
CraftyMcCrafterson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011 07:08:53 AM »

Is the body fabric stretchy? If not you can add a band and then put ribbing like the original jacket had on it. The brown strip is ribbing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsunderground
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011 09:53:22 AM »

Your instincts were good in adding the panel to the front, but I don't think the scarf at the bottom in working, so I suggest you remove it. Try attaching some fabric that is more similar to the texture and body of the jacket fabric behind the ribbing and letting it hang down below the bottom of the jacket). It would look like you are wearing a longer jacket under the plaid jacket. You could try more of the corduroy you used in the front panel, but it would need to be lined or interfaced for body. Or, try something more wool-looking and possibly something with red in it. I would like to see what you finally come up with. It was a bold undertaking. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
catastrophe
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011 07:53:16 PM »

I wonder how one could fix a jacket similar to this, only being too small in the armpit/ribcage and shoulder area... this reminds me I have a jacket  made of wool, I wish I could fix  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Li Is a Dram, From Which W First Must Wak Bor W May Dram Again
badgerbear
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011 03:59:52 AM »

Is the body fabric stretchy? If not you can add a band and then put ribbing like the original jacket had on it. The brown strip is ribbing.
Aah gotcha! That would actually make the most sense, the body is stiff  not stretchy. So in theory if I remove the brown ribbing and add a panel I could then just reattach the brown ribbing under that. (assuming it matches the fabric I add!) I think that is definitely the best course of action Cheesy

Your instincts were good in adding the panel to the front, but I don't think the scarf at the bottom in working, so I suggest you remove it. Try attaching some fabric that is more similar to the texture and body of the jacket fabric behind the ribbing and letting it hang down below the bottom of the jacket). It would look like you are wearing a longer jacket under the plaid jacket. You could try more of the corduroy you used in the front panel, but it would need to be lined or interfaced for body. Or, try something more wool-looking and possibly something with red in it. I would like to see what you finally come up with. It was a bold undertaking. Good luck.

I agree the scarf doesnt work, its such a shame I don't have any more of the grey corduroy it would be perfect. So I am going to take CraftyMcCraftersons advice and remove the ribbing and add in some fabric then reattach the ribbing. However there is no reason not to attach something under the ribbing- What I do like about this jacket at the moment is that when its on it kind of looks lie a skirt or something underneath and I like that look! I love the idea of something woollen! I am going to spend some time making sure I find the right fabric- I have a real bad habit of just grabbing the nearest thing and running with it, only to fall flat on my face so this time Im going to be methodical! As you say its quit a bold undertaking! I hope when I am done I can do it justice!

I wonder how one could fix a jacket similar to this, only being too small in the armpit/ribcage and shoulder area... this reminds me I have a jacket  made of wool, I wish I could fix  Sad
This jacket is slightly too tight under the arms for me as well. what I am thinking (and I'll let you know if it works!) Is to cut the lining slightly and see how that goes. If the lining doesnt make a difference what I am thinking is to very carefully separate the seam under the armpit going down the line of the body and adding a small triangle of fabric to widen it.. I have done this on dresses before but never on things with sleeves! I will let you now whether its worth doing. Thats the trouble with things you really love though isnt it you just don't want to ruin it, but think like this you can either attempt to fix it and succeed or you can attempt to fix it and fail. But if you do neither then you just have a nice jacket you ever wear taking up space in your closet!

Thanks for the responses guys! I have quite a task ahead of me and I will keep you posted on developments and no doubt will need some fab advice again al0ng the way!
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to craft is to live!
CraftyMcCrafterson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011 08:44:58 PM »

Aah gotcha! That would actually make the most sense, the body is stiff  not stretchy. So in theory if I remove the brown ribbing and add a panel I could then just reattach the brown ribbing under that. (assuming it matches the fabric I add!) I think that is definitely the best course of action Cheesy

Exactly! Also, they do have ribbing available at JoAnn's for very little $ if you want to change the color or if it gets damaged when you remove it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badgerbear
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011 02:44:46 AM »

Thanks!
But I do live in England and we don't have joAnns here! I am pretty certain that its probably like our Fabric Land though (a treasure trove fr sure!) I am going to do a bit of fabric hunting today and will post some pics if I dont totally destroy it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to craft is to live!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watermarking Your Photos Using Lightroom and Photoshop
Getting Your Lightroom Presets in to Camera Raw
Bruce Blausen on Animating Medical Conditions
Saving Print Layouts in Lightroom
5 Random Little Things in Lightroom That Throw People Off
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...