A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dutch Pancakes!  (Read 4943 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , pancake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theintermission
« on: January 13, 2011 02:16:35 PM »

I just found out about Dutch/oven pancakes!  I can't believe I'd never heard of them!  I hear they're similar to Yorkshire pudding...but better!  They sort of taste like a cream puff....yummmmmm... ..

Ingredients:

3 eggs
2 tbsp melted butter + 1 tbsp for pan
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup millk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp lemon extract
pinch of salt

It's best to use a seasoned cast iron skillet but a cake pan or any 8-10 inch pan will work...as long as it's oven safe up for 425 degrees!

Start by preheating the oven AND the pan, greased with a little oil, to 425 degrees.  While those are heating, beat eggs until light and frothy, add milk, sugar, extract, salt and 2 tbsp butter.  Mix until combined.  Fold in flour.  The mixture will be lumpy.

When the pan is hot, remove it from the oven, melt the remaining 1 tbsp butter in it, swirling to coat the entire bottom.  Then, add batter to pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and puffy.

I have this posted on my blog.  Go there for a pretty version  Smiley
http://theintermissionart.blogspot.com/2011/01/dutch-oven-pancake-recipe.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011 02:30:40 PM by theintermission » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011 03:00:55 PM »

ooooh that looks yummy... I wonder if real lemon juice can be substituted for the extract.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011 06:02:25 PM »

ummmm.....ok....so I saw your post,
my husband and I just finished dinner and he asked me "do we have anything sweet?"
I say "no, but somebody put up a post about a dutch pancake, it looks delicious."
"what's a dutch pancake?"
"something that looks delicious that I have the ingredients for and I can make in 20 minutes."

pause from husband......."how much do you love me?"

me "enough to make you a dutch pancake."

I substituted vanilla for the lemon extract and served it with strawberry jam that I warmed up....
ohhh soooo gooood, thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011 06:29:41 PM »

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm home sick right now and craving something warm, sweet and comforting. I was kinda bummed when I realized my DH had eaten the last cupcake, then I came across your post! It looks sooo good! I just might have to drag myself out of bed to make one now! Bet it goes great with a cup of hot cocoa or tea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
CraftyDiem
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011 06:31:19 PM »

Oh I love these!  My mom used to make them as a special treat with lots of fresh fruit and some powdered sugar.  I've never been able to get it quite the same...  Perhaps I should try this??  Smiley Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
theintermission
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011 07:03:33 PM »

Cool!  I'm so glad you all like it!  You can substitute lemon juice for the extract but since juice isn't as strong, add a little zest (1/4 tsp or less).  You can also substitute vanilla, almond or any other extract or just leave it out.  The lemon extract doesn't really give the pancake a lemon flavor.  It sort of *brightens* the flavor.  Yummm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011 08:37:23 AM »

Ooh, my stepmom used to make these, they're SOOOO good...it's a very unique thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
goldsheepbowl
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011 03:36:29 PM »

this sounds delicious and may infact be my late night snack tonight Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011 03:55:22 PM »

Yum!! These are awesome with sliced apples added when you stick it in the oven. They are also called a "Dutch Baby"! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011 03:55:44 PM »

Cool!  I'm so glad you all like it!  You can substitute lemon juice for the extract but since juice isn't as strong, add a little zest (1/4 tsp or less).  You can also substitute vanilla, almond or any other extract or just leave it out.  The lemon extract doesn't really give the pancake a lemon flavor.  It sort of *brightens* the flavor.  Yummm....

good to know!  I think I'll try this for breaky tomorrow Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lieblings

Fishes Need Kisses!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011 08:44:42 AM »

We have these as special breakfast and my boyfriend refers to it as "breakfast cake".

We usually sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top before baking which gives an awesome crispy sweet cinnamon layer to the top! Served with fresh berries these are to die for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kat_728
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011 03:43:27 PM »

I was helping my daughter earlier today use her easy bake oven for the first time and I kept thinking that I wanted something life size sweet to make(does that make sense?). I gave up on that since I'm super lazy to go to the store but now that I saw this and have all the ingredients, I'm totally making it! Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011 05:18:04 PM »

ooooh Darlin' this is made of win!!! I'm inhaling savouring it right now.   So easy, so quick, so YUM.  Thanks so much for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDiem
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011 06:12:00 PM »

I made it the other night (that you posted) with almond extract.  Oh so good!  I had a 1/4 piece and my husband ate the entire rest of it!  Smiley  Big hit!  My mom made these HUGE for brunches. 

Thanks!  Yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
theintermission
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011 07:46:44 PM »

I made it the other night (that you posted) with almond extract.  Oh so good!  I had a 1/4 piece and my husband ate the entire rest of it!  Smiley  Big hit!  My mom made these HUGE for brunches. 

Thanks!  Yum.

I don't know how you only ate a piece.  When I made it, I ate the whole thing!  Haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcartwright856
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011 08:19:46 AM »

I made one for breakfast this morning for my husband. It was very good! Thanks for the recipe.

I have a few questions. I did bake it in a seasoned cast iron skillet and used vanilla extract instead of lemon. My crust edges didn't curl up nearly as much as yours, and the top of the slices were pretty crunchy. Come to think of it... I think mine turned out darker than yours. Did I overcook it? I left it in for 20 minutes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011 10:21:56 AM »

Looks great, might try it one day..... unfortunately I'm on a diet right now.  Undecided

P.S. Am I the only dutch person who has never ever even heard of such a treat? Most people in Holland don't even have an oven anymore.......... (which seeing this recipe seems to be a big big loss  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
theintermission
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011 12:54:18 PM »

kcartwright856- To get it to really curl up, you might try adding some oil in the pan with the butter.  It's also a good idea to use room temperature ingredients (even though I didn't).  Make sure the pan is preheated and as soon as you pour in the batter, it will start to cook.  Since all ovens are a little different, 20 minutes may be too long.  If you overcooked it, there's a possibility that it rose and then sake, making your edges lower.  Try taking it out at 18 minutes or when the edges are a medium golden brown.  I hope that helps.  Good luck!

abbytail- People is Holland don't have ovens???  How do they live?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwluvervw
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011 02:35:43 PM »

My father used to make us DUTCH BABIES --- which are similar to what you've made.. they're puffy and oh so yummy... we put sryup, cinnamon, butter, or powdered sugar on ours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011 07:55:30 PM »

I did heat the skillet fully in the oven, but I will definitely oil it in addition to the butter next time, as well as bring the ingredients to room temperature.

Perhaps the oven did run a bit hot, so I'll watch it more closely. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeeJayRose
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011 09:36:21 PM »

Yum yum yum! It looks delicious.

But...what if I don't have a skillet to cook it in?? I only have a cheap set of pans right now which cannot be used in the oven.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011 09:17:38 AM »

You can usually find really cheap cookware in thrift stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
theintermission
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011 12:18:50 PM »

Yum yum yum! It looks delicious.

But...what if I don't have a skillet to cook it in?? I only have a cheap set of pans right now which cannot be used in the oven.

You can find some really cheap cast iron pans at Walmart, Target and (my favorite) World Market.  Cast iron really helps the pancake puff and bake nicely but it isn't necessary.  You can use just about any pan in any shape as long as it's about 8-9 inches.  You could probably even use a Bundt/tube pan.  Just make sure you preheat the oven with the pan in it, so the pan gets hot and add butter right before you add the batter.  It should come out fine.

Oh, and one more tip, if your pans are really thin and flimsy, you might want to put a baking sheet (cookie pan) right under (touching) the pan you're cooking the pancake in.  It will help prevent the bottom from burning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanonino
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011 05:21:30 AM »

Haha, i'm dutch and I've never heard of this recipe before but it sure looks good!
We do have something that's called a 'Pannekoek' (which is pancake when you translate it) but that's more of a combination of a french crpe and an american pancake
And we do have ovens, at least everyone I know have one Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avrienne
LeeLoo Multicraft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011 02:40:44 PM »

I remember seeing a Dutch Baby on Good Eats a while back--it sounded fantastic, but at the time, I didn't have a cast iron skillet.  Fortunately for me, I saw your post right after I got one!

Here's my first one, ever so slightly overdone, but delicious nonetheless.  For my next one, I'm going to try the cinnamon sugar top that Lieblings mentioned, it sounds so good!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thrift.make.wear: my frugal fashion and craft blog
theintermission
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011 06:53:45 PM »

Avrienne, that looks so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IdlersDesign

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011 11:18:16 AM »

Haha, i'm dutch and I've never heard of this recipe before but it sure looks good!
We do have something that's called a 'Pannekoek' (which is pancake when you translate it) but that's more of a combination of a french crpe and an american pancake
And we do have ovens, at least everyone I know have one Wink

I'm also Dutch and have never heard of this recipe  Roll Eyes Usually we bake pancakes (indeed more like crepes) in a pan. But..I'll try this one soon as well! In my oven  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011 05:05:27 PM »

I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source, but here's a bit about the name. Food history is fun!  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_baby_pancake
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wool by Hugh Howey Trailer
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare Trailer
Clive Davis Talks About Some of His Favorite Photos
Clive Davis on Whitney Houston and Carlos Santana
Clive Davis on Finding New Talent and Reinvigorating Careers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...