A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sanity saving lap quilt. Made in a day with 9 Fat quarters,  (Read 3041 times)
Tags for this thread: lap_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 12, 2011 07:03:14 AM »

I have signed up to the 11 quilts in 2011 craftalong on the misc board. And was totally inspired by all the productivity of the other craftalong-ers..(or is that overachievingness)

anyway I decided that I wanted to start something new and found these great instructions online, to make a quilt from 9 Fat quarters. I have some nice FQ that I had got in the ongoing wishswap and from other swappers over the last while..plus a very cute (Very expensive FQ that I got in Galway last weekend)

I had just decided to piece the top, but it went so fast...would have been about an hour and a half. If I didn't have to rethread my machine about 10 times, not sure why..crappy thread perhaps...and if I hadn't got impatient about one mistake and instead of using a seam ripper...ripped it by hand..and yes, ripped the block, so had to resew the whole thing....

so it took about an 1 3/4 hours. Having more time in hand..and only sunday night, back to work tomorrow, blues to look forward to. I thought I would emulate the overachieverness of the craftalong and see if I could finish it..

and I did!! I used an thrifted wollen blanket for batting, and even pieced a strip for the back and put a label on it, using the embroidery function on my machine..the whole thing took about 4-5 hours I'd say, allowing for mistakes. it is far from perfect, I did mostly quilt-in-the ditch on my regular machine, so there are some puckers, and the corners are awful..but it is a finished quilt, rather than adding to my many WIPs

...I was so proud and it saved my sanity, from sunday blues. Mega sunday blues at that from weeks of holidays..

it is rather smack you in the eyes colour/pattern wise, but I love all of these fabrics and love the busy-ness of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011 07:08:39 AM »

ooh, it turned out great edel! I love the colors, I think they balance nicely. Which one is the expensive one you got in Galway?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011 07:12:11 AM »

its the little one with rabbits and houses, a japanese import..I will take a pic, hang on a mo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011 07:18:53 AM »

this is it

it cost the equivalent of about $7 for the FQ *gulp* hardly seems worth it when I look at it in the quilt, it is very cute, but it doesn't stand out amongst all the rest, which of course is not what you really want any one fabric to do...still it has alpacas on it, so it has to be good.

Ironically its not my favourite fabric. that is the one in the lower right hand corner of the quilt in the top pic. Circles of colour, its like stained glass, it was from a swap and I absolutely adore the fabric, sadly only have a tiny strip left!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011 07:23:51 AM »

It's a very cute pattern though Smiley  Have to splurge sometimes Smiley

I LOVE the quilt!  The colors and design are awesome!  Would you be willing to share a link to the instructions?  I'm facing my third day of being out for snow and ice and am about to go stir crazy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011 07:26:37 AM »

thanks Rockdragon...here is the link for the instructions, not mine at all...make sure you let us see if you make one!

I understand stir crazy. personally I am loving a day at home, crafting orgy for me, so far I have finished an overnight bag, made a fabric journal cover, made myself a necklace, updated my blog..and ordered more stuff online...OK maybe I should have stayed in my craft room before the last one..lol..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011 07:28:53 AM »

Aw, it's sweet! Yikes, that is kinda spendy lol I think my fave is the blue and green one smack dab in the middle of the first pic. It looks like Amy Butler maybe?

I'm stir crazy too, been sick for several days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011 07:33:03 AM »

I think it might be, apart from the expensive one and the fabric for the back (from wales) all of the rest came in swap packages...this is why I loooooove swapping...

sorry you have been sick sweetie, seems like everyone is down with some bug or other at the moment..personally I think that is the universe's way of keeping us at home crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011 07:51:53 AM »

The link is hiding from me Sad  And I will totally share, this sounds like the perfect project to work on today Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011 07:53:36 AM »

Oh, Edel, It's beautiful! Love it. I wish I was a better seamstress, I would be making quilts all the time. But I can't seem to get those little squares of fabric to line up and it drives me crazy!
Your colors are delicious. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Chili Honey Short Ribs
Homemade Chili Recipe
Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe
How to make Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...