A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anda dress and simple skirt tute.  (Read 10042 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , skirt , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

intotheclear
« on: January 11, 2011 01:29:18 PM »

Downloaded, printed and edited a pattern from Burda Style on line, this dress http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/anda. Im a size 26/28 in most stores, so I needed to add 2 inches to the waist of the dress.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5346547643_b7eee4caf6.jpg
and styled:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5045/5346543651_7fd27ea84a.jpg

Making a basic, gathered, A-line skirt.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5201/5347135198_c6c6d108a3.jpg
Materials: Fabric, thread, elastic, sewing scissors.

Step 1: After you wash your fabric, measure how long youd like your skirt, and add a half an inch at the bottom for finishing, and a full inch on the top to create a channel for the elastic (please note I did NOT follow my own directions with the seam allowances, I used fabric that was already in my moms stock pile, and it was about 3 or 4 inches too short, so I improvised by making them much smaller than usual).  Lay your fabric flat and cut it along the top. You should have two equal rectangles of fabric.

Step 2: Lay your two pieces of fabric together so the print is on the inside. Sew up each short end of your rectangle, a quarter-inch from the edge. Iron your seam flat.

Step 3: Finishing the hem. Fold over fabric a quarter-inch, so the wrong sides (inside) of the fabric are together and iron all the way around. Fold over again and iron all the way around. The straighter your edge is while you iron, the easier it is to finish the bottom straight. Sew the hem towards the top of the fold so that you have a nice finish from the outside.

Step 4: Repeat Step 3 to finish the waist band. How far you fold and iron your fabric depends on the width of your elastic. Since I used fabric that was too short to begin with, I used quarter-inch elastic. Usually, I use 3/4 inch non-roll elastic. Start sewing around the channel for the elastic at a side seam, and towards the bottom of the fold. When you begin, back-stitch a few stitches, go almost all the way around, back stitch a few stitches again leaving a gap big enough for a safety-pin to go through.

Step 5: Measure your elastic, cut to size, attach to safety-pin, string through the channel. Make sure the elastic is flat the whole way around, lay one end over the other and sew. Sew up the channel if you want, I usually leave mine open in case I think I need to shorten the elastic. You are done like a bun! Wear it!!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5346524403_5203cc73c6.jpg

This has been x-posted on fatshionista livejournal
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013 10:48:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calentine
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011 02:06:43 PM »

A few things:

1)You're fabulous
2)I can't WAIT to make this this weekend (erm, ATTEMPT to make this, as my sewing machine and my lack of skills tend to not get along very well).
3)I like your nail polish.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011 02:44:53 PM »

The dress is awesome (esp the farbric) and the skirt is adorable.  You look so prettty.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
hockamama
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011 02:47:59 PM »

I LOVE THAT DRESS!!  You are an inspiration!  I've been so scared to tackle clothes, but I get a little closer to trying every time I see something this fabulous.  And I love the sassiness of the jacket and boots!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011 04:59:17 PM »

I love that dress and the skirt too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheManicCrafter
The name is Christy...Christy Angela

All are architects of fate... Longfellow

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011 05:05:18 PM »

Now that's a dress of awesomeness; love the fabric! You could toss on any number of different belts too, maybe one of those obi's in the green from the shirt?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live Free...Craft Hard
My Pinterest http://pinterest.com/MyCuppaCoffee
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011 05:26:55 PM »

love that dress girlie!! great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011 06:05:33 PM »

Damn.  Love that dress and am wondering if I have the balls to wear zebra stripes like that.  Have you thought of being a stylist?  I'm really digging the combinations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011 06:20:06 PM »

Ooooh, they're both great (I LOVE that dress!  It looks great on you) and you've got me inspired to actually get off my butt and do some sewing like I keep saying I'm going to. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

intotheclear
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011 10:19:15 AM »

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! You'll be seeing a lot more of me (hopefully) because I've convinced my college to let me make up a course on recycled fashions (using thrifted fabric to make clothing, or reconstructing old clothing)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Walter Mosley Talks Adapting Books to Films
That Awkward Moment Junket
The Nut Job
American Hustle Interviews
Zombies Help Kids Learn Movie Making
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...