A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polar Fleece Socks--have you ever made them? Should I try it?  (Read 4321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaughingLark
« on: December 31, 2008 01:38:37 PM »

Hi there. I hope this is the right spot to ask. I've been thinking about making some polarfleece socks for a while now, and I just saw this Jali video that makes it look like an easy instant-gratification project, but leaves me with some questions.
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/jalie-sewing-patterns-how-to-make-stretch-fleece-socks/3178379492/?icid=VIDURVHOV10

At first, I thought I'd need to use my serger to make them, but I'm thinking that the seam might be irritating, especially for little kids. I thought I'd make some for extra warmth inside snow boots, and to wear in the house on cold mornings. In the Jali video, a regular machine is used with a zig-zag stitch on the very edge. That looks like it would lay flat and eliminate the bumpy seams, but how durable would it be?

Anyone make these? Are they comfy? They look like a great gift idea for next Christmas. Yeah, I'm thinking that far ahead. Do you have a favorite pattern, or know where I can download one?

My kids are always losing their slippers, etc, so it would be nice to crank out extra ones as needed.

I love the New Year's smileys! Happy New Year! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueberry_fox
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009 03:23:20 AM »

Hmm I think they would be snuggly for wearing around the house like slippers but i don't think they would be nice for real socks. Especialy in snow shoes. Polarflease is compleatly synthetic and would not absorb any sweat so it would be kind of like wearing plastic bags for socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009 06:44:11 AM »

Hi Blueberry_fox! I was thinking of using them like an extra layer on top of absorbent socks, for extra insulation inside boots, maybe. When we get snow here, it is very heavy wet stuff, and the kiddoes need to change into dry socks each time they come in (they always manage to get snow down the top of their boots). Thought it would be handy to have some of these for that, and to warm their feet in the house.  Smiley

I'm in southern Missouri, and our winters are more sloppy than cold. Because of this, I also think if these are comfy to wear, it'd be handy to have some to give to my oldest boy and his freinds when they come over in a snowstorm wearing canvas Chuck Taylors. If they are cheap and easy to make, I can just give them away so these kids can get warm feet while their Chucks dry.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amcgec
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009 07:51:07 AM »

Have you had any luck finding a good pattern??  I have one from Timberlane Press called "Bonza Booties" (and like it's name, it's more like a bootie)...the trick is to use stretchy polar fleece or the cuff is too tight to get on your feet...but they are nice for slippers/around the house!  Also just got a pattern from Green Peppers that is more like a sock...running out of February vacation time to try it but I'll keep you posted...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisticsue
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009 08:55:38 AM »

I've used the Green Pepper pattern #504 - Polar Socks.  I found the pattern at my local Joann's.  Here is a link for the Green Pepper site:
http://thegreenpepper.com/packs.html
I found the pattern easy to sew and have made tons of these socks.  They are great for wearing around the house.  I used a serger and eliminated the ribbed top.  I just serged around the top for a clean finish.  I got the idea after someone gave me a pair of polar socks for Christmas one year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plaidpineapple
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011 07:01:37 PM »

I LOVE the green pepper polar socks.  They are snug enough to wear in snow boots, too bulky for sneakers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011 05:22:14 AM »

I have some polar socks which my parents bought for me (despite being an adult, they are still convinced that I don't dress warm enough), and I wear them all the time!  Mine are a bit loose on me, but still very warm inside boots.  I find them useful for around the house, since I like to put a blanket around me and tuck my feet inside.

The pattern appears to be similar to the Green Pepper one linked here - the seams are stitched flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011 04:51:11 AM »

I made pairs for friends before with a freehand pattern I made and they are super warm so great if you are working outdoors. The seam isn't too bothersome but they will make feet sweat. I liked them overall though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southern Cornbread with Sage Casserole Recipe
Crock Pot Eye of Round Roast Recipe
Beautiful Buttery Brown Noodles Recipe
Creamy Cream Cheese Corn Recipe
Beef Stew from Leftovers and Gravy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...