A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: polymer clay reverse stocking stitch Tutorial  (Read 15736 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , polymer_clay , knitting  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2011 10:14:58 PM »

i hope the photos make this easier to follow.

step one: extrude strands of the desired thickness in your chosen colour and cut lengths of about 2.5 cm with a craft knife or a tissue blade.

step 2: take one of the cut lengths and push the ends together to form a loop. repeat.
           group the loops together as shown.

step 3: take a length of extruded clay and lay it across the group of loops as shown.

step 4: using the back of the blade deeply indent the clay making sure the indents are aligned with the centre of the loop.

step 5: i flatten the tails of the loops with a cocktail stick. this ensures each line of loops will lie reasonably flat. if you are making long lines you will need to do
           this bit at a time. be carfull you dont mark the 'stitches' with your fingers/nails as you roll the cocktail stick.  

repeat steps 1 to 5

step 6: place one line of stitches overlapping the flattened tails of the loops.        

you can use this effect on its own or experiment with knitted cables, plaits etc.

if you have any questions or anything seems unclear please dont hesitate to ask me. for some reason the photos have come out smaller on this site than others Undecided
there is a larger version of this on my deviant art site ( http://originalbunny.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d36x1wf  ) or email/pm and i'l send you a larger version Smiley

love2knit heart brooch (wip)

knitted cuff bracelet

more an experimental piece than anything else. im not entirely happy with it. i wanted give the cuff a curved shape but it was hard to achieve without squashing and distorting the 'stitches'
im think next time it would be easier to create an armature and layer the stitching as i go rather than create a sheet to cover the armature with. i think this would reduce the distortion.
i kept the colour a light cream both the keep the emphasis on the texture of the bangle and to mimic the colour of undyed wool.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 11:00:44 PM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011 10:37:57 PM »

That is really cool, I'm impressed with that effect!  I don't follow some of the pictures, but the end results are fab., and I would like to try this sometime.  So, the tut is highly appreciated...  The cuff bracelet doesn't look distorted at all to me, but I can imagine it was hard not to distort it!  I think I am just going to have to get the old extruder out sometime soon and see what I can come up with.  I love love love the cuff, but I think I'll stick with just trying to make the pattern for the time being.  The colors just really make it mimic actual knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011 10:45:41 PM »

I really like this! The bangle is great - I am a sucker for good textures, and this is a very warm, happy texture! Thanks for the tutorial - I am going to bookmark this!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
roniwink
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011 10:57:36 PM »

Do you bake your clay in the oven or use a heat gun.  I just received a heat gun for my birthday and I'm excited to see if it makes much of a difference.  I love the bangle bracelet, gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011 11:07:01 PM »

Do you bake your clay in the oven or use a heat gun.  I just received a heat gun for my birthday and I'm excited to see if it makes much of a difference.  I love the bangle bracelet, gorgeous!

thank you Smiley
i confess i've never used a heat gun Embarrassed i've only ever used the oven.

...'Insert Quote
That is really cool, I'm impressed with that effect!  I don't follow some of the pictures'....

edited first post to include a link. for some reason craftster shrunk my pic.  hopefully the larger version will be more helpful Undecided if you are still unsure please ask Smiley
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 11:07:24 PM by maxxev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollowayhandbag
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011 02:51:42 AM »

Smiley these are real works of art well done and easy to follow tutorial thankyou so much for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

big love always marc
laur328
Blood, Sweat and Crafts.

Let's get high on art supplies and hibernate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011 05:45:15 AM »

oh wow that seriously looks really awesome. good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rooftopstudio
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011 07:05:37 AM »

Whoa!  That is fantastic!  I am on love with that cuff. It's totally going on my wists!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjr107
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011 08:04:08 AM »

Amazing!  I've been claying for years and I'm still impressed on how much new stuff comes out of everyone Smiley  This is incredible; I can see this as faux purse or box too.

Tootles
PJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aveykin
Perpetually in the Clouds

Environmental Science Major~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011 09:02:32 AM »

I totally understand how you feel not quite 100% about the bracelet, but in my eyes, it looks absolutely awesome. I'd wear it with pride.
It would be interesting to with a metallic colour and then age...knitted metal would be pretty intense I would think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap(s):
Surprise Ball Swap-Sent
Matchbox Swap-Sent
Warcraft Swap- Crafting

"Accuse not Nature, she hath done her part; Do thou but thine."
-John Milton

http://wists.com/Aveykin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Wearing Tight Ponytails Is Harmful to Your Hair
How to Wear a Drag Queen Wig
How to Maintain a Wig
How to Wear a Wig
How to Get the Best Hairdressing Products
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...