A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork Sampler Blanket/Pillow Knitalong!  (Read 32112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yofi
« on: January 10, 2011 10:07:04 AM »

Ive been having a lot of fun knitting patchwork quilts, using up scraps of yarn and learning new stitches, and think it would make a fun knit-along.  The premise is simple; you knit and bind off a block, then pick up stitches along one edge with a new yarn, and knit another block using a different stitch.
   If youve ever wanted to make a blanket or pillow top, but find yourself getting bored or losing steam halfway thru, this is a great way to hold your interest.  You can make the squares as big or small as you like, and even the most deliberate knitter can easily finish a square in a weekend.  You get the satisfaction of completing something in very rewardingly short intervals.

If youve ever spent time page thru a stitch pattern book, or been intimidated by the Barbara Walker Treasuries this is a great way to get in some practice before you commit to doing a huge expanse of dragon scale or pinecone eyelet.  Dont like the way a square is shaping up? Its easy as pie to rip it out and try another.  (Im a nervous Nellie about frogging back a few rows!)  If you hate to sew up seams, this has the advantage of breaking that process down into manageable pieces; you simply sew up one side of the square as you go.  If I had to sew long strips of seams, stuff would stay in my knitting box for a long time, but even I can manage to sew up 6-7 inches at a time.

Plus its a great way to use up all those small balls of yarn we all seem to accumulate.  As with traditional patchwork, its fun to look back over the finished project and see the yarn you used in your first scarf, or the cool hat you made for your brother in law.

You can commit to any size project you want, from pillow top to blanket or just knit as long as you want.  (My first scrappy project was a crib quilt with some crazy angles.  My latest was a 72x56 blanket for my niece.) You can buy a few color-coordinated skeins to start, or simply use up what you have on hand.
If people are interested in knitting along, I can post a few stitches of varying complexities on a regular basis one stitch a week?  Three stitches every fortnight? and we can work on them together.  Or other people can post their new favorite stitches.  The more the merrier, and theres a whole world of cool stitches out there!
I have some birthday projects to wrap up this week, but Im looking forward to starting some pillow shams  soon. Let me know if youre interested in making this a knit-along itd be great to have some virtual knitting buddies!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
utopiaballroom
Crafty McCrafterson

Switch to a garlic shampoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011 11:23:10 AM »

I would absolutely love to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011 12:21:43 PM »

I am absolutely up for this! My husband just ordered Barbara Walker's first treasury for me, so that's perfect. I'm eager to get started  Smiley

I think for mine I'd prefer to knit up the squares and then sew them together. I really don't mind it at all, and I'd like to be able to lay the squares out and piece them together however I want.

Would this work with yarns of different weight, or is this something I'll want to use similar weights for? Not sure if my dk will play nice with the super bulky  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
yofi
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011 12:44:48 PM »

I would think that if you're doing the squares separately, you ccould mix and match.  For people picking up stitches I'd recommend similar weight -- altho' I had a couple of squares that were double-stranded sock yarn.

A bigger issue would be making sure that, if it's a project that will be washed, like a blanket or pillow, that the yarns all have the same care instructions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
redflags
Right behind you.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011 02:30:45 PM »

I've thought about that myself. I figured I'd stick to either all acrylic or an easy-care wool blend (like Woo-Ease). Either that or treat it as if the whole thing was made of wool.

You know, this might get more attention if it was in the Craftalongs section.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 02:31:32 PM by redflags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011 07:58:54 PM »

I am totally up for this! Maybe it should be in the regular craft-along section.
  Since I have been using a nice wool yarn lately, I am going to go ahead and buy a few skeins of co-ordinating colors.
I have a booklet to use, and other references as well. I'm totally willing to share!
  Later, I'll post a color swatch I made for my girlfriend. I made her go thru my embroidery floss, and choose her colors. We did this sitting in a parking lot prior to a decorating shopping trip. I am thinking of using her colors, and making it for her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011 06:37:27 AM »

That's a pretty clever way of selecting colors -- I'll have to remember that!

I'm definintely up for cross-posting this; when you say "the regular craft-along section" do oyu mean the craft-along in Miscellaneous?

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know my Crafster geography very well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011 09:06:34 AM »

Yep! Except, I was reading the info in that section, and the moderator, using the knitting board as an an example; said to stay in that sections craftalong board, as long as there was one representing that board. So I think we need to stay here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011 02:47:16 PM »

I'll be away from the computer this weekend, but I'll be ready to start Monday.  I'll post my yarn (I'm going with a blue and cream color scheme, for the "Scandinavian" bedroom) and a couple of the stitches I really got to like with Scrappy.

Just another hour of knitting and I'm done with tomorrow's birthday present -- time for another project to start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redflags
Right behind you.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011 07:20:16 PM »

I'm hoping to cast on for this tonight. I've got a couple different yarns set aside to choose from and Barbara Walker's first Treasury of Knitting Patterns that my most awesome husband surprised me with. Not sure which pattern I want to start with, though. There's just so many, and there's still three more books in the set!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brow Makeover With Kelley Baker: Growing Out Your Brows
Beauty Expert Shares Surprising Summer Factors That Can Cause Wrinkles
Could Potato Skins Get Rid of Your Gray Hair?
Tips for Hiding Your Varicose Veins This Summer
How to Protect Your Hair From Sweat This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...