A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork Sampler Blanket/Pillow Knitalong!  (Read 31158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011 12:30:39 PM »

Thanks for posting those I'll have to try the triangle one out. I am trying out Bamboo right now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011 06:53:15 PM »

I really wanted to get started on this right away, but after an honest evaluation (and subsequent culling) of Yarn Mountain, I realized I don't really have any yarns I want to use on this. I'd prefer to use wool blends, so I'm going to hold off until pay day when I can go buy some more yarns.

I'm super bummed. I want to start right now!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011 07:27:17 PM »

I went shopping yesterday, and bought a pair of needles, but no yarn. I forgot to take my color swatcher, and got too confused at the store, without it. After looking at the color selection, it appears I may end up using acrylics after all. YUK! But it will NOT be Red Hearts cheap yarn.
I think between the Vanna and Loops and threads, I'll get the right colors. They are both on sale!!!
  As for the borders, I am going to do 4 rows of garter stitch between the
vertical pieces, and crochet the strips together. That's how we did it before. My girlfriend was getting real specific on what she wanted her blanket to look like. If I hadn't asked, it would probably end up in a closet!
  Part of that has to do with her disability.... she needs EVERYTHING to feel organized. Glad I asked! But, there's no constraint on what stitches I do.
If I do get her to help, I will plan out her strips, with beginners patterns.
We haven't had that conversation yet!
  Coming soon.... A yarn pile photo!
Thanks for the stitches,Yofi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflags
Right behind you.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011 07:53:19 PM »

KLKing, the Vanna's Choice yarns are really soft, and I love the color selection. But there's enough good acrylic brands that you shouldn't have much of a problem finding all the colors you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
yofi
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011 11:16:56 AM »

Wow, redflags -- you culled?  I'm in awe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redflags
Right behind you.

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011 12:22:04 PM »

Do you really want to know, yofi? I don't want to give anyone nightmares  Cheesy

Yes, I culled about 75% of my stash. I still can't believe it and I did it myself. A good portion of it went to my partner in the fill-a-box swap, still got a good amount sitting around waiting to go to a good home. Will probably unload it on the next supply swap.

The bright side is that now I get to go out and buy yarn I actually love/want, instead of just filling up with what's on sale. Which is what got me into the first mess  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011 10:46:13 PM »

As much as I wanted to use wool blends,  I ended up with the acrylic. I think Valerie cares more about the softness of the yarn. And the colors!
So, I went shopping tonight! I bought everything!!! It was really hard not getting every color there was, but I managed to have some self control, and kept the selection to the chart. Except for a couple colors I bought just because I liked them! (But not for her)So, I am going to put a chart together as to how I'm planning the colors, so they get mixed nicely.
Since this is being knit in long strips. I'm going to let the stitches come to me randomly!
  I'm anxious to try your triangle stitch, Yofi!
Since I've never bought this much yarn at one time in my life, I'm amazed at how hard it was to limit myself to the 20 skeins I just bought!

EDIT: OOPS!!!! The instructions in this particular book called for a single crocheted edge around each finished block. That means they are not made in long strips. I was just assuming it was done in strips because that's how we did the first one. Sorry!
  Actually, that's better, for three reasons: 1) not so bulky to carry around
2) you can work on whatever color your in the mood for at the time, and 3)I don't have to plot out all the color placement ahead of time!
That works for me!
  This particular pattern uses an average of 40 stitches, give or take a few, to create a block. With an average of 60 rows.
  I just cast on in a nice medium green tonight. I decided to start with a simple basket-weave stitch to get started. I've been doing cables on the last project, and just wanted to do some straight knitting tonight.
  I'll take some pics in the daylight.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011 01:45:44 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011 12:36:32 PM »

Here's my yarn pile, and the first block I started. I'll dive into some more challenging ones soon! I still need to give my friend a chance to eliminate a color or two.
The colors came out a bit darker than real life.
This is 85.5 ounces of yarn! It is enough to make two medium sized afghans.(Sofa sized, Approx. 4x6 feet)

This is my first block, a simple basket-weave. There is a little more to it than it looks at first.
Here's the pattern: You can change the stitch count if you want.
BASKETWEAVE #1
Used size 9 needles, makes a large 8"-8.5" block
CO 40 stitches
Rows 1 and 5- wrong side- K1, P38, K1
Rows 2 and 4- K1, P2, *k2, p6; repeat from *,end last repeat, k3
Row 3- K3, * p2, k6; repeat from *, end last repeat, k3
Row 6- K1, * p6,k2; repeat from*, end last repeat, k1
Row 7- K7, * p2, k6; repeat from*,end last repeat, k7
Row 8- same as row 6.
Repeat these 8 rows for pattern, until 61 rows; about 8 inches from beginning.
End on wrong side with pattern row 5. Bind off in pattern.

Now, if there's anyone who understand the Dip Stitch, could you please explain exactly what you are supposed to do? I'm not sure if I'm picking up the 2 stitches correctly. (Photo please?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011 02:17:35 PM »

Beautiful assortment of colors -- and such a bounty of yarn!

I'm afraid I don't know the dip stitch; I did a quick search and all I grasped was that you pick up a stitch from an earlier row -- like you do when you increase a stitch.  Without needles and yarn in my hands, I'm afraid I can't quite grasp how you "knit as usual, then drop the picked up stitch to create a run".

I'll check in with my sister -- she's my go-to knit guru.

But, a great start, and thanks for the basketweave stitch breakdown!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
redflags
Right behind you.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011 02:30:21 PM »

I love the colors you have there! Basketweave is one of my favorite patterns, and it's so, so easy (depending on which variation you use). On my enormous purple basketweave scarf (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=369562.msg4343936#msg4343936), I used a 4x4 pattern:

Worked in multiples of 4
Row 1-4: *k4, p4  repeat from * to the end
Row 5-8: *p4, k4  repeat from * to the end
Repeat as desired

3x3 basketweave seems to be the most popular, but I like the larger squares myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hair Cutting Tools
Learn About Hair Drying Tools
How to Care for Relaxed Hair
How to Pick a Good Curling Iron or Flat Iron
How to Create a Fancy Side Pony Tail
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...