A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork Sampler Blanket/Pillow Knitalong!  (Read 32299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011 08:27:51 PM »

Go for it, redflags! I look forward to seeing your first piece!

I'm going to spend some of this week's paycheck on yarn. One book I have is a 1968 knitting pamphlet, with several afghans, and 100 stitches. It is Vol.34,Bear Brand.Botany. knitting primer .The cover (Shown in 2 colors of gold with black)design uses 63 blocks, and are done evenly.
Here's the breakdown of this afghan:
That means 7rows across,x 9 blocks in length; at 8.5 inches square, with borders.
It uses sizes 8 and 9 needles. The needle change helps control the block size. I am going to follow this book.
 I do have some other books to work with, if I find a stitch not included, that I must use.
 ***The original pattern used only 2 main colors, plus a border between each block. 22 Oz. of light gold, 28 Oz. dark Gold, and 6 Oz. of black.The yarn quantities are a total of 52 ounces, worsted.
SO>>>>>
At 3.5 OZ's, I could use 2 skeins, each of 7 colors. That gives me 9 blocks of each color. Using .76 ounce per block. Plus yarn for a border color, 6 ounces. I'll allow 2 skeins, totalling at 7 ounces. This leaves little yarn waste.
Somehow, that doesn't seem like enough colors.
Or, I could use 1 skein each, of 16 colors.(4 blocks per skein) Plus a border color. Total 18@ 3.5 oz.  That leaves a little under 1/2 oz. leftover yarn in each color.   good for needlefelting?
Let's see if my girlfriend will help pay for yarn!
I don't have any leftovers to use for this project.

I am going to use the Paton's Classic Wool, or it's equivelent; since I saw another brand with beautiful colors. It was an alpaca blend, and in the same weight.
I estimate this afghan to cost me about $75.00, unless I buy all my yarn on sale! With Michael's coupons, I expect to save a bit of it.
I haven't decided how many colors I'm going to use yet. It depends on how the store's offerings match up to Valerie's colors. I probably won't be out shopping until Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011 09:35:26 PM by KLKing - Reason: Mathematical errors » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011 08:00:08 AM »

I think I am going to give this a go. I have been meaning to start learning other stitches (only know knit and purl right now) and this will help since it's only one square at a time. I have a few books full of stitches and one calendar type for one a day. I was going to start last night but got distracted looking up patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011 09:17:25 AM »

KLKing, I think this is the perfect excuse to go buy more yarn! Not that I need any more excuses  Cheesy

I'm going to pick up more yarn here soon myself. I think I'm going to do this in all acrylic, or wool/acrylic blend. I plan on it getting a lot of use so I want it to be easy to wash. I co last night in a subtle variegated yarn on the embossed bell motif pattern to test it out, and it's gorgeous and a lot easier than it looks. However, I think I'd like a solid color for that pattern, so I'm going to do imitation lattice with the variegated and maybe robin's egg blue for the bells.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011 09:38:57 AM »

redflags; actually the wool-ease is a wool/acrylic blend. it feels just like the Paton's, but is probably not going to shrink. I may end up using this myself. it really depends on the colors i can match up to my friend's
embroidery floss swatcher we made.
  I was going to scan it, but i'm having some problems with the scanner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011 11:14:05 AM »

I was going to suggest the Wool-Ease -- just because you don't have to worry about shrinkage.  (Especially if you're giving it to someone else!)

My experience with the first scrappy quilt I did was that I needed at least 6 colors for a random arrangement.  Of course, I also realized that picking colors wasn't my forte!  I think I used Red Heart yarn (and was releived to find it got softer after washing.)  I picked two varigated yarns that both had the same green streak, then picked solids of four other colors that were in the varigation.

Looking forward to seeing people's progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redflags
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011 11:27:10 AM »

I thought of using Wool-Ease alone, but I want to have a lot of color options. I'll be doing my monthly Hobby Lobby spree soon, so I'll take a look and see what blends/colors they have available. I'm just so impatient to get started now!  Cheesy

vampedangel, this is a great project for experimenting with stitches and techniques. I haven't cabled successfully yet (although I haven't given it much effort), and I've never done any color changes. This is the perfect opportunity for trying those because the squares aren't anything major, so if you mess up it's no big deal.

ETA: yofi, if you need color combo ideas and inspiration, there really isn't a better site than this: http://www.colourlovers.com/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011 11:28:51 AM by redflags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterests
Etsy

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011 01:34:50 PM »

Scanner settings corrected!!!! Here's the book I'm using.
(One of them)
I hope it's OK to show the cover, it's from 1968  I am seeing my friend tonight. I'm going to ask her if she prefers the random, or evenly shaped blocks.

Here's the color swatcher I made her. It makes shopping a lot easier!I cut a strip of vertical blinds and punched holes in it. One of the many uses for old vertical blinds!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011 01:48:00 PM by KLKing - Reason: Added photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011 07:28:57 PM »

Update: My friend said her tastes definitely lean to the evenly shaped blocks. So, that question is answered! She might even help pay for yarn,
and likes the idea of a blended fiber content. She doesn't want it to feel rough.
Now, if I can get her to knit some of it with me..... this way I can help her with her knitting skills! She doesn't know it yet! If I can get one or two strips out of her, I'll be thrilled! That's how Mom and I did the one we made together, when I was a kid.
I just got paid, so I'm hitting the craft store after work tomorrow. (Sunday)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011 07:30:05 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yofi
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011 12:09:12 PM »

Love your cat, vampedangel -- and welcome!
Thanks for the color site, redflags; I've definitely got that bookmarked.  I find my personal likes are so wildly across the board that I'm never sure the palletes *I* like will appeal to anyone else, so I tend to limit myself pretty severely.

Good luck getting your friend to knit with you, karen -- that would be a wonderful experience.  I've got a few friends I knit with every other week or so, and it's a wonderful hour or two of hanging out, drinking, catching up -- oh, and knitting, too!

I really like the way you used the blind to organize the colors -- I'm going to keep kicking that around in my head as a way to create a "page" or a "crib sheet" for other kinds of projects as well!

That blanket is beautiful -- how are the black borders around each square handled?  When I made this blanket  http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/73411_01Feb10_big_blanket_big.jpg for my sister, I knit the blanket in strips --- then picked up all the stitches on the side and knit them together.  I liked the frame effect, but the work!  It's why I turned to this method of picking up and sewing in each ssquare individually!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011 12:27:57 PM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011 12:24:04 PM »

*corrected line 17 o the Flying Triangles pattern*

Okay, I'm almost ready to go -- picking up a few skeins of yarn tonight on my way home.  ("Cuz, you know, I don't have enough at home!)

I'm going to work on two pillow fronts and a throw for my guest room.  Shades of blue and cream, with maybe a little red touch here and there.  I'm going to go for regular squares, but because of the way I start each new square on a previous one, I'll end up knitting two different directions.

Because I want to keep the squares more or less the same size, I'll shoot for a repeat of about 30 stitches.  I found with the previous quilts that the number of stitches per square is a kinda fungible number.  (That's what I love about knitting -- fungability!)  Since the pillows will only be seen on one side, I'm going to try a little fairisle and intarrsia, which I've only dabbled with.  Should be fun!

Some basic things I discovered doing these quilts (which you probably already know!)
-- Binding off a square from the front, in knit, gives you a nice smooth edge.
-- Picking up stitches from the front gives you a less noticeable edge; picking up stitches from the back gives you a dotted line on the front, which looks a bit like a big running stitch – emphasizes the sort of rustic, patchwork quilt effect if you want.
-- Look to see which side a pattern begins on.  Since I like to pick up stitches on the front, the first row I knit is on the back of the patch.  With pattern directions that start on the right side, I usually start with the last row of the repeat --- then knit the first row (the front side) when I’m knitting the front.  Hope that made sense.

Obviously, there's always room for straight up knit and purl, garter stitch and stockinette -- in fact, stockinette is a nice way to showcase really pretty varigated yarn.  But here's some of the other stittches I'm going to incorporate:

Deep Chevron
Multiple of 16 stitches plus 1

Row 1: (right side)  [K2, p2] twice; k1, p2, k2, p2, * K3, p2, k2, p2, k1, p2, k2, p2 * -- repeat ** across to the last 2 stitches; k2.
Row 2: P1,  * K2, p2, k2, p3, k2, p2, k2, p1 * -- repeat ** to the end
Row 3: K1, * P1, k2, p2, k5, p2, k2, p1, k1 * -- repeat ** to the end
Row 4:  P3, k2, p2, k1, p1, k1, p2, k2, * P5, k2, p2, k1, p1, k1, p2, k2 * -- repeat *** across to the last 3 stitches; p3
Repeat these four rows for the pattern.

*corrected!*
Knit and Purl Triangles (a friend calls these “Flying Triangles”)  
Don’t be intimidated by the number of rows – you can stop anywhere you want.

Multiple of 14 stitches plus 1

Row 1: (right side) K7, p1,  * K13, p1 * -- repeat ** across to the last 7 stitches; k7
Row 2 and all even number rows: Purl across
Row 3: K6, p3 * K11, p3 * -- repeat ** across to the last 6 stitches, k6
Row 5 K5, p5 * K9, p5 * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches; k5
Row 7: K4, p7 * K7, p7 * -- repeat ** across to the last 4 stitches; k4
Row 9: K3, p9  * K5, p9 * -- repeat ** across to the last 3 stitches; k3
Row 11: K2, p11  *K3, p11 * -- repeat ** across to the last 2 stitches; k2
Row 13: K1 * P13, k1 * -- repeat ** to the end
Row 15: P1, * k13, p1 * -- repeat ** to the end
Row 17: P2, k11 * P3, k11 * -- repeat ** across to the last 2 stitches; p2
Row 19: P3, k9 *P5, k9 * -- repeat ** across to the last 3 stitches; p3
Row 21: P4, k7, *P7, k7 * -- repeat ** across to the last 4 stitches; p4
Row 23: P5, k5 * P9, k5 * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches; p5
Row 25: P6, k3  * P11, k3 * -- repeat ** across to the last 6 stitches; p6
Row 27: P7, k1,  * P13, k1 * -- repeat ** across to the last 7 stitches; p7
Row 28: Purl across

Boxes and Bells cable
This was one of my favorites on my last project – I had to be careful not to overuse it. It’s a really easy cable.  Looks good in either a solid yarn or a self-striping yarn with a fairly long run; I think you would lose the pattern with either a short run, variegated yarn or a really dark color.

Multiple of 8 stitches plus 6
 [C4F – Cable 4 Front – uses next 4 stitches.  Slip next two stitches onto cable needle and hold to the front of the work.  K2 from the left needle, then K2 from the cable needle.]

Row 1: (Right side) K5, P4  * K4, P4 * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches, K5.
Row 2: P5, K4,  * P4, K4 * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches, P5
Row 3 and 4: Repeat rows 1 and 2
Row 5: K1, C4F,  * K4, C4F) – repeat ** across to the last stitch; K1
Row 6: K5, P4  * K4, P4 * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches; K5.
Row 7: P5, K4  * P4, K4 * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches; P5
Row 8: K5, P4  * K4, P4 * -- repeat ** across tto the last 5 stitches; K5
Rows 9 and 10: Repeat rows 7 and 8
Row 11: K5, C4F  * K4, C4F * -- repeat ** across to the last 5 stitches; K5
Row 12: P5, K4  *P4, K4 * -- repeat a** across to the last 5 stitches; P5

..... And away we go!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011 09:57:20 AM by yofi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Magazine Front Cover in Photoshop
How to Make a Realistic Planet in Photoshop
How to Make a Bold Simple Website Template Page in Photoshop
How to Make a Custom Twitter Layout in Photoshop
How to Make Call Of Duty Style Modern Warfare Text in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...