A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: What is your favorite entry in Craft Challenge #59, Super Ugly to Super Awesome?  (Voting closed: February 17, 2011 06:49:01 AM)
"Dressed in my finest polyester..." - 2 (0.8%)
"I never wanted to be a shirt, make me into a purse!" - 3 (1.1%)
"Imma grape" Dress suit to epic-ness (picture overload) - 56 (21.1%)
1940's lame lamp to steampunk stylin' source of light - 4 (1.5%)
barely un-bear-able - 0 (0%)
Cute Black and White Dress for My Valentine's Day Dinner. - 2 (0.8%)
Dilapidated medicine cabinet to sweet new message center - 10 (3.8%)
Fairyland Theatre (too many pics) - 42 (15.8%)
From drab to fab - dull duvet to great gijinka (seriously image heavy!) - 2 (0.8%)
Golden dragon of doom - 3 (1.1%)
Granny afghan you will be Exterminated! - 2 (0.8%)
lamp attacked with glue gun! - 2 (0.8%)
Lil Boy Grows Up! Into a Sexy Girl?!?! - 2 (0.8%)
Motorcycle Pants into Lovely Leather Handbag- Packed w/ Pics - 28 (10.6%)
Music Man mini-drawers - 6 (2.3%)
Nasty A*$ Shirts and child's boa, to pretty little Angel - 1 (0.4%)
Nigerian Dress skirt to cutesy Sun dress - 15 (5.7%)
Old clock and snack plate...into new moon clock... - 8 (3%)
Outdated Dress into Fun Headband - 1 (0.4%)
Outdated Frilly Shirt into Birthday Bowling Button Up! - 2 (0.8%)
paisley horror sack to slinky dress of joy! - 2 (0.8%)
Revamped cabnet for glasses - 3 (1.1%)
Rooster Breadbox to Pimpin' Purple Message Center! - 2 (0.8%)
Super Crusty Curtains(&shirt)into Super Cushty Cross Stitch Wrap gift for mum - 8 (3%)
Sweater Love (huge sweater to cute dress) - 11 (4.2%)
Tea Time for a dinosaur! - 4 (1.5%)
Trippy skirt into cute mini dress! - 3 (1.1%)
ugly art-> awesome art! - 7 (2.6%)
Ugly old men's sweater.. New Owl pillow for the couch - 10 (3.8%)
ugly seagull shadowbox to artsy memorial shadowbox - 4 (1.5%)
Ugly Wool Sweaters to Toasty-oasty Scarf - 1 (0.4%)
Ugly Yellow Director's Chair into Pretty Primary Patchwork- chair - 3 (1.1%)
Unloved Nekked Dolls Into My Little Wild Child Fasion Doll-photo phat - 16 (6%)
Yucky Silk Dress Re-do With Matching Headband Smiley - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 265

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [FINISHED] Craft Challenge #59 - Super Ugly to Super Awesome Round 3 - Due Feb 1  (Read 49789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissThing
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011 02:53:40 AM »

i really wanna have a go at this one it looks like loads of fun. but an strugglin to find the truly ugly. have found plenty or naff/ tacky/dull / and dirty lol and a lovely wooden sewin box 4 me but no ugly lol.

does anyone know what $20 is in £stirling?? hope i can get somethin bought and made as there's not much time left x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful; or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

http://pinterest.com/icanhasdreamz/
http://www.wists.com/ICanHasDreamz
badgerbear
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011 04:51:03 AM »

$20 is about £12.50. Check out the salvation army they are super cheap and have loads of really horrible stuff! I couldn't find anything really ugly in the one near me so I asked one of the ladies and she brought some hideous GEMS up from the stock room for me to look at. I got a proper rank thing that way!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to craft is to live!
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011 04:22:19 PM »

I shopped early whilst the ugly was still hot, fresh and bountiful!! I can just picture it now all across the world people are scoring fantastic stuff because we've bought up the ugly so the real treasures are uncovered!!

Incidentally I am half way through my entry (why does that sound so wrong?!  Tongue) and I'm so excited to post it, I have to physically stop myself from finishing it in case I accidentally post it on here early or blog about it!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011 04:23:54 PM by mink_bikini » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissThing
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011 05:26:07 AM »

lol. at above.

thanks i never thought of "askin" for the really ugly stuff. the stuff that was so ugly that they have to keep it out the back cos its too ugly to be seen by the general public.
i went to some different shops and deadline looming i found a collection of "Ew gross...that's nasty". as opposed to one big super ugly. now i just have to see what i can turn it into and work bloomin fast to make the deadline . am well excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful; or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

SkyyAngel
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011 09:33:46 AM »

I don't know if GoodWill has any more of these stores but in my area (Austin) they have a "Blue Hanger Store" which is essentially just a large warehouse and parking lot for all of their empty donations trucks? In the warehouse though, they have rows and rows of bins that are brought in and cycled out all day long full of the stuff that didn't sell in the stores, so it's brought there and HEAVILY discounted. It's kind've gross (I always wear gloves because if not, your hands are so grimy after digging through everything) but I think it's fun... lol. You can find some really awesome stuff and get it for cheap or free. I was looking for empty game boxes and got like 6 of them for free because to them at that point, it's just trash.

But anyway... among all the buried "diamonds" is LOADS of ugly. It's like the Island of Misfit Toys for GoodWill Junk and it's awesome. If you're looking for ugly, or even just like the idea of digging through a bunch of junk like I do, it's worth seeing if there are any in your areas. Smiley I go there once every few months and spend about $20-30 for an entire cart LOADED to overflowing with things I've found. I sometimes score fabric and yarn this way too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissThing
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011 12:44:49 PM »

indeed i went in one charity shop  the other day (as i saw a marvelous wooden cantilever sewing box in the window for £3 Shocked  Grin ) the shop stank so bad of stale urine  i had to hold my breath, i was so grossed out i was too scared to touch anything (gloves would have been very handy) and i just grabbed my bargain sewing box left without without hunting for my ugly...i'm sure there would have be loads of ugly in the store but the stench was so strong it made my eyes water.

as far as i am aware though in my area of the uk we dont have anything like that but it does sound like loads of fun i bed i could find loads of recyclable craftables in one of those shops. it would be dangerouse my family already refer to me as the one with the hoarding problem  Roll Eyes lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badgerbear
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011 02:41:44 AM »

I don't know where you are in the uk but here in Bristol there is a place called the scrap store- its AMAZING you can fill a trolley for £5 Grin  there is everything crafty and things you never even considered for crafts as well! Ooh and we have a free shop! also amazing but things definetly need washing that you get there! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to craft is to live!
dogl0v3r
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011 08:04:30 AM »

I went in today and everything was actually nice and pretty. I did score some *other* things I won't be using for this Challenge though. I did manage to find one thing I'm really excited about altering into something awesome but it's not truly ugly to begin with (just boring) so I'm wondering if I should bother entering it. Assuming I can get it done in time for that matter... lol. I'll be posting it when I finish it regardless. Tongue

Everyone has a different idea of what is ugly. A lot of the current clothes that most people consider fashionable I think look awful Tongue Maybe I'm just spoilt because I can make whatever I like and cater to my own tastes. I certainly hope you do get your entry done in time - I too found something boring and unloved, and have almost finished transforming it into something that's not only cute but something I can use Cheesy Although the thing I bought was more super dull than super ugly, I'll be posting it - whether or not it counts - because it felt good buying from a charity shop and making something epic out of what I purchased ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
SkyyAngel
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011 11:17:37 AM »

That is true. Smiley I went to another store and managed to find something "very used and out-dated" so perhaps I will enter that project instead. Still need to visit Home Depot for supplies though.... Heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audio
Nobody could do that much découpage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011 06:35:51 PM »

I got something at the thrift store today. Now I'm all like >.< because I have no idea what to do with it now. I've search the internets for at least an hour trying to get an idea! Silly me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watercolor Painting Basics
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Blacks
How to Paint Flowers with Watercolors
How to Paint with Watercolors
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Round Objects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...