A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clown (not nude - in underwear) updated WON an AWARD!  (Read 7760 times)
Tags for this thread: painting , clown , underwear , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 09, 2011 07:03:12 PM »

Well, my holiday "down time" was pretty busy just trying to get some work done.  I was able to finish my watercolor commission (sadly, I got them to her before taking any photos)  and finished up one of my paintings for a show we have an opening for in two weeks.  Talk about cutting it close......I STILL have one more to finish!!

The proposal we submitted for the show opening in two weeks sprouted up from a statement one of the instructors mentioned in a discussion we overheard in class.  He said that "It doesn't matter what subject you paint.  If you do quality work there WILL be a market for it.  I don't care if you paint clowns in their underwear......if it's good there will be someone out there that will want to buy it."

Of course, as immature college students (yes, despite the fact that I'm now 41 years old I consider myself to be just that) we immediately thought that clowns in their underwear would be a GREAT subject for a show and set about making it happen.  SO, after a few months of prep we have 12 artists in a show we've called "Clowns Laid Bare".  Everyone seems to have a different take on what the subject matter calls for and so I'm excited to see the show as a whole.  

I wanted to portray everyday people in clown makeup to kind of show the secret lives of people.  My husband was my first model (I tell him that as the spouse of an artist it's his duty to be my model but I think he secretly loves it) and I'm still working on that painting because it's quite large and is a grisaille technique that seems to take FOREVER.  I had a second painting in mind and actually knew exactly who I wanted to paint but I was reluctant to ask her as she's one of our clients at the vet clinic where I work.  

I FINALLY got the nerve to ask.  I explained to her in an email that it involved clown makeup and posing in her underwear and that if she wasn't comfortable with it I understood.  She replied that she would LOVE to do that for me.  I was floored!  

The day of the photoshoot I got there and put on her clown makeup after that she asked what I wanted her to wear!  I stumbled........asked her if she'd actually read my email and she explained she'd only glanced at it.   I told her it was meant to be in her underwear and she said  "Oh, no problem at all".    Whew!  Then I explained that I wanted to show her smoking because I know that she has a secret smoking habit and she was fine with that too.....HUGE sigh of relief!  After the photo shoot she said she had so much fun that if I EVER needed a model again for anything just to let her know!

I think I'm having FAR too much fun with this subject and I think I'd like to do a few more (including a self-portrait).

SO, here is one of my submissions for the show and it is the largest painting I've done to date (30" x 40" gessobord). I've decided to call it "Repose of an Established Habit".  

As always Critiques and Criticism are welcome and encouraged!  I have tough skin so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

detail of face:

entire painting:

detail of dog:

Oh, and the front of our postcards......I found an old clown doll at an antique store.  I made him a pair of underwear from an old handkerchief and because his feet were destroyed by rodents (or maybe an enthusiastic puppy)  I made him a pair of bunny slippers.  I then just photographed him and we used the photograph.  We didn't want one person's artwork on the advertisement and so this was a good compromise:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013 12:01:40 PM by UnRuli - Reason: Edited to repair missing links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011 07:25:24 PM »

Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011 07:38:07 PM »

Um, WOW!! It's amazing!  Shocked WOW!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011 07:38:40 PM by audio » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011 07:49:28 PM »

I LOVE it!!  Grin wonderful work! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011 04:52:53 AM »

I have no critique. This is honestly one of the best things I've ever seen. It's incredibly striking, it just has such... depth, in concept. It sounds so cheap to say "it speaks to me", but it really does.
I love this in a way that few pieces of art has ever captured me. I'd want it, though I of course doubt I would afford it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
FoxyBlue
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011 06:41:20 AM »

Amazing (and creepy!!) as always. Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I looooooove personal swaps! Anyone want to do a wall art swap??
My blog: http://foxybluecreations.blogspot.com/
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deedras-Art/257639572940
UnRuli

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011 10:48:55 AM »

I have no critique. This is honestly one of the best things I've ever seen. It's incredibly striking, it just has such... depth, in concept. It sounds so cheap to say "it speaks to me", but it really does.
I love this in a way that few pieces of art has ever captured me. I'd want it, though I of course doubt I would afford it Cheesy
Oh my gosh, you can't even imagine how wonderful this made me feel.  It gave me goosebumps AND made me want to cry.  THANK YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elecktronne
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011 11:46:10 AM »

your attention to detail is amazing! & good for you for having the courage to ask your client to model, especially if it led to something like this :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DEri6n
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011 11:58:06 AM »

Wow. Her expression, the colours, the angle... it feels perfect. It's so surreally real, which I suppose is well-suited to a painting of a clown in her underwear. Grin
You know those art stores that sell Robert Bateman prints? I'd totally pick this over him if it was an option (and I had money).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ossidrizz
Bomblebeep

Carnage in the Aisles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011 05:21:37 PM »

i can see why you wanted to paint her, she has the perfect face-shape for clown makeup.
beautiful job. i just love this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brighter Than a Brain Pie-
Wistlings
Blargh! A Blog!
littlezilla
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011 07:20:54 PM »

LOVE it!!! You are awesome and I think this is a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hockamama
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011 05:12:03 AM »

I am not an artist, so my grasp of terms isn't correct, I'm sure.  But the shading/highlighting (insert correct grammar here) is phenomenal.  You've given her such depth and realism.  It's such a gorgeous depiction, I love it. 

PS, I'm hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011 06:37:52 AM »

I love the subject matter, and I love what you did with it. You really brought your subject to life; it feels like she is actually "there" in the painting (if that makes any sense!)

Beautiful work, and I love your postcard/ad. It's perfect! I'd probably frame that, if I had one.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
RaeRaggs
RaeRaggs

http://raeraggs.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011 09:00:12 AM »

Amazing.  I'm curious to see what the other submissions look like.  Will it be posted online somewhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC personal swap? I spy quilt square swap?
sploschee

no, I don't have a tash

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011 12:12:46 PM »

at the risk of clogging up the post - The painting is fantastic.

As for there being a market for good work - I think you've just proved it.  I'd buy it

Keep it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennilocker
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011 12:50:03 PM »

The painting itself is wonderful but my favorite thing about it is that she is practically naked yet still anonymous.  Genius.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter_is_good
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011 01:25:30 PM »

haha, considering that I met my partner in crime at a clown convention, I find this all to be too, too hilarious.  Great work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011 01:30:39 PM »

Freakin' incredible. Love the subject, the detail and the execution.

This so rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011 02:22:15 PM »

Incredible! You did such an amazing job with this. Your prof was right, I would TOTALLY buy this.

I think it's also a testament to your talent that you convinced someone to model for this! I wouldn't pose in this way for just anyone but if you ever need another clown/underwear/smoking model you let me know Wink.

I love the way this show came about and I'm sure it's going to produce some incredibly creative artwork. As someone else mentioned, I'd love to see the other works that are presented so if there is a site where we could browse I sure would appreciate seeing it Smiley.

Your postcard is great too! I love the bunny slippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011 03:31:47 PM »

I thoroughly dislike clowns generally, but that painting is just freaking amazing.  Beautiful work, just beautiful.  Congrats on an extremely well-executed piece and for making something cool out of a subject that could easily have been really creepy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

baileemartini
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011 06:49:48 PM »

i never thought i could like a painting of a smoking, semi nude clown, but i love the style of it. its actually really awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011 04:46:43 AM »

WOW! I can see why you chose her as a model, she looks like a happy fun-loving person!

You did an excellent job, so good infact it looks like you did it on an art program and used a special effect! It is so detailed and perfectly executed!

Great job and I'm sure everyone will love it!
Keep it up!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solarray
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011 07:14:46 AM »

alright yes i like the painting, it's creepy in a good way. i'm not sure i could live with it on a 24/7 basis; but then there isn't much that i could (this is why my walls are practiclly bare) it is executed very well, the colors and nuances are just right, and it hints at a much bigger story.

that being said, can i just say; those bunny slippers rock!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011 09:28:32 AM »

The subject matter is odd, yet realistic. I can imagine this woman is a clown, not a client of yours. I imagine she just finished a show and took off her costume but decided to have a quick smoke before removing the make up. It's a very real scene and captured beautifully by your painting. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyNameIsWill
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011 09:51:53 AM »

your work is amazing! i'm taking my first painting class this semester. i hope i can eventually paint as well as you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011 04:27:04 PM »

you amaze me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011 05:33:52 PM »

wow.  That is absolutely awesome.  The face, the breast detail, the feet!  it's so amazing.  And your teacher is right, someone will want to buy it, if not for subject matter, but for the detail of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011 02:54:58 PM »

your work is amazing! i'm taking my first painting class this semester. i hope i can eventually paint as well as you do!
  I'm sure you'll do GREAT!  Wanna know the secret??  It's lots and lots and LOTS of practicing!   I can hardly wait to see what you have to post  I'll be watching for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nedz
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011 05:13:47 PM »

I really like your style. great job
it makes me miss painting with oils terribly  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarComa25
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011 08:25:52 AM »

This is really very beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a woman, I am a force of f*cking nature.
UnRuli

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011 11:09:05 AM »

Wow, I certainly didn't expect to bump THIS thread up, but I just received word......this painting just took Best in Show at a Regional Juried Show! 

I planned on submitting another piece to this show.  I was allowed two entries but the only other painting I had available to use as a second piece was this clown painting.  I didn't think this painting would be anywhere close to what the juror would be looking for since this area is a bit conservative when it comes to art.  I figured it didn't cost me any more to submit a 2nd piece and I had no problem picking it up if it didn't make it in so at the last minute I went ahead and submitted it fully expecting it to be rejected.

I was SHOCKED to get an email today telling me that it took the BIS honors and as a bonus my other piece took one of the Juror Recognition Awards!  This is the second show I've submitted to this year and the second time I've had both of my submitted pieces win awards.  I'm speechless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011 11:14:18 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS! I love this painting, so I'm not surprised at all that it's an award winner.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011 02:45:03 PM »

I'm not surprised that this took BIS. You made her look so approachable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011 01:45:23 PM »

This is incredible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011 01:52:34 PM »

I loved this so much that I had a look through your other posts... you are insanely talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
steph_patt
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011 04:40:59 PM »

I can't tell you how much I love this. It really is incredible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
realityinvazion
Mrs. Nesbitt

I intend to deserve it.

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011 01:23:11 PM »

I would LOVE to see more of these, if you have any to post or link me to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

9 out of 10 British housewives can't tell the difference between my butter and a dead crab.
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011 01:58:41 PM »

Woah, this is really well done. I love the dog! Clowns freak me right out, seeing them in underwear is not helping. It's also a bit startling because I would think of clown underwear as colorful as the outerwear, and these are not that. So it gives me as strange feeling. Creepy! Interesting! It made me think so you know that's good art  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
kilgore_trout
Astro Cartography A Go Go

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011 10:00:39 AM »

You are amazing. Brilliant, perfect, super-hero woman. You are the far-too-rare reason I like human beings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnaAnna
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011 10:51:54 AM »

Congratulations on the award!  Definitely well deserved!  You really do make her look so approachable!  I bet it is hard to not make a clown in the undies look cheesy.  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnRuli

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011 10:49:43 AM »

I would LOVE to see more of these, if you have any to post or link me to?
  I've added a link to my website in my signature......I just never thought about doing that before.

Thank you everyone!  We had the awards ceremony for the show on Sunday and everyone was very kind as to their compliments of my work.  I had the opportunity to speak with the Juror and his comments were very encouraging.  He's an Art History professor and is one of the curators for a VERY large sculpture park in the area so I felt absolutely fantastic about the win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012 11:53:40 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012 11:57:24 AM »

Yippppeeee! So happy to see this artwork recognized. It was definitely on my list of favorites this past year. Congratulations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012 02:04:25 PM »

Congratulations! You deserve your awards (both virtual and real-world) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012 04:42:39 PM »

Congrats! Now you'll have to change your title to "Won TWO awards!"  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
UnRuli

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012 07:59:51 AM »

Oh my!  Thank you!  How funny!  I was just going to get on here to post some of my newest paintings (one is kind of a "companion piece" to this one that also just won first place at a recent juried competition).  I've been absolutely SWAMPED lately between my MFA program and teaching full-time so I don't get the chance to stop by here often.

That said, this painting is probably my favorite thing I've ever painted so far.  It's the only thing of mine I have hanging in my house right now....it's hanging in the bedroom.

Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Almond Yogurt Waffles and Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
How to Make Pork and Black Bean Chili
Red Beans and Rice Recipe
How to Make Fudge: Homemade Holiday Recipe
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...