A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-Fake Swapping Craft-along (ongoing)  (Read 133631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #620 on: March 24, 2011 09:29:27 PM »

do like I did--get an angel! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
How Lovely
« Reply #621 on: March 25, 2011 04:43:35 AM »

An hour ago I was ready to get on here and congratulate my partner on her amazing time managment skills, of managing to do two assignments and a trip to Sydney and still managing to get her One Tiny Thing Miyazaki Fake swap done... that was an hour ago though... Just before she was going to post her OTTM she thought "hey! Maybe I'll varnish it so it is all pretty and shiny"... turns out varnish and sharpies are not friends  Cry So now that hour has been spent with a number of swear words and serious consideration of throwing the hours of OTTM in the bin, but my lovely, calm bf convinced me, I mean, my partner, that it could be fixed. My partner is now trying to fix what was before so perfect and will be about a day late posting Sad Why can't spray on varnish and sharpies just be friends??? I'm sure the world would be a better place for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #622 on: March 25, 2011 07:24:17 AM »

oh no--yep--varnishes contain chemicals that will definitely interact and destroy some paints and inks...I normally spray Scotchguard on my purses, but the last one I did had fabric paint and sharpies and I was afraid it would eat it away...oh no...hope you can fix it...or else, reschedule a mail out with your partner! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
flutterby14
« Reply #623 on: March 25, 2011 09:28:24 AM »

Are Newbies allowed to Fake Swap?

This sounds like a fun idea to try "swapping" out since I am a fairly new crafter. That way I'll know if I have items suitable for sending should I decide to join a regular swap when I'm eligible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #624 on: March 25, 2011 09:35:08 AM »

definitely!!!! We would love to see what you make for your "partner" Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: March 25, 2011 11:56:41 AM »

An hour ago I was ready to get on here and congratulate my partner on her amazing time managment skills, of managing to do two assignments and a trip to Sydney and still managing to get her One Tiny Thing Miyazaki Fake swap done... that was an hour ago though... Just before she was going to post her OTTM she thought "hey! Maybe I'll varnish it so it is all pretty and shiny"... turns out varnish and sharpies are not friends  Cry So now that hour has been spent with a number of swear words and serious consideration of throwing the hours of OTTM in the bin, but my lovely, calm bf convinced me, I mean, my partner, that it could be fixed. My partner is now trying to fix what was before so perfect and will be about a day late posting Sad Why can't spray on varnish and sharpies just be friends??? I'm sure the world would be a better place for it!

Sad sad day! I'm so sorry to hear that! In high school, I used to create HUGE pieces of art with sharpies. My teacher sprayed varnish over one, one weekend..it was a sad day when I got back on Monday...

Sharpies are permanent, even on fabric. All you have to do is make sure you wash the fabric BEFORE you put the sharpie on. Over time (and lots of washes) the sharpie will start to fade. But minimize the number of washes and you're good to go. In terms of making it shiny...I know of nothing. I've done experiments with a few varnishes and glue washes but nothing gives the desired affect and/or destroys it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: March 25, 2011 01:22:10 PM »

hmm, I'm not sure if this works with all sorts of sharpies/ varnishes/ hairsprays, but a friend of mine first seals her sharpie art with a hairspray before applying varnish. I've never tried it myself though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #627 on: March 25, 2011 03:53:04 PM »

thank goodness the organizer is tired and is not paying a whole lot of attention to all of the LATE senders Cheesy

hey, let's face it, we are slackers to ourselves...tsk tsk

LOL! But, truth be told, this fake swapping is helping me to be LESS of a slacker when it comes to completing a bunch of random "I'll make these when I have time" items.

And, I need some tracing paper, which I can't find, and I'm too lazy to head back out to the store (I left school, made it halfway home and realized I forgot the bin of papers I need to grade this weekend, so I had to turn around... and add another half hour onto my drive home Tongue ). So, tomorrow morning, after waking to the sound of no alarm clock, I will head to the bank and then zip into the nearby craft store to pick some up. I should be working on my hoops by lunchtime! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #628 on: March 25, 2011 04:48:19 PM »

On the subject of Sharpies and fabric.  You can do a neet-O thing with them.  Draw your design on the fabric, stretch it over something (bowl, jar..other things one might stretch things over...Grin), then drip rubbing alcohol over your Sharpie art.  The colors will bleed into the fabric, giving a lovely blended look.  Once the alcohol drys, it is as permanent as Sharpie is normally.  So, conversely, you don't want anything with alcohol in it if you don't want the Sharpie art to bleed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #629 on: March 25, 2011 06:06:19 PM »

do like I did--get an angel! Wink

My package from psyche got lost in the mail, but she's being nice enough to send a replacement package. Thanks psyche!

Are Newbies allowed to Fake Swap?

This sounds like a fun idea to try "swapping" out since I am a fairly new crafter. That way I'll know if I have items suitable for sending should I decide to join a regular swap when I'm eligible.

What a perfect opportunity for a newbie to Craftster to get their ears wet (is that the right phrase? I feel like that sounds odd...). Welcome to the land of disjointed personalities. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Success of Chef David Chang
Pork Estofado with Plantains and Pearl Onions Recipe
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...