A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-Fake Swapping Craft-along (ongoing)  (Read 130918 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #640 on: March 26, 2011 04:54:29 PM »

I'm sure a science/geek swap will come along eventually!

I think you can fake-join closed swaps. I saw a few science-y swaps-

Science Geek OTT

She Blinded Me With Science

Science IS an Art

Thanks! I do have a few other fake swaps to clear from the queue, so I'll check them out (although I was a participant in the Science is Art Swap, I think).

But, along the lines of some science geekery... here's my Diptych Hoopla! I had originally planned on attempting something like this for my fake Star Swap, but didn't have everything I needed (or the time to make it). Since I still wanted to do it, the Diptych Hoopla swap was the perfect reason!

They represent the constellations Orion (The Hunter) and Scorpius (The Scorpion). According to the Greek myth, Artemis created the Scorpion to sting Orion for his arrogance. The 2 constellations are never "up" at the same time (some say Orion is hiding from its sting, others say Orion is on the hunt for the scorpion).

They also represent a couple of things to me:
-Orion was the first constellation I ever learned when I went to pick my sister and her boyfriend up at the train station at 2 am one Thanksgiving break. On the way back, when we were swapping drivers (it was a few hours to drive), my sister's boyfriend pointed out Orion in the sky.

- A couple of summers ago, I had an awesome astronomy experience at the University of Arizona and Kitt Peak Observatory. We had a chance to head to the Sonoran Desert Museum and wander around as it got dark. Because it was summer, and because we were far enough south, we could see the entire constellation of Scorpius in the sky above the desert. And, thanks to the cute little kids running around with their portable blacklights, we were able to see all of the scorpions on the stone walls that we had been resting on not long before (scorpions glow under blacklight).

So, the 2 constellations belong together for 2 different reasons!

And, that embroidery hoop stand that I bought earlier today came in VERY handy, as it turned out. I had to learn how to do French knots (I used Jenny Hart's tutorial on the Sublime Stitching blog) and couldn't manage it unless the hoop was held by the frame. I only suffered one injury (perfect stab under the thumbnail... but it only bled a smidgen)!

I used glow-in-the-dark floss and they glow faintly against the black fabric. I left the backs unfinished (my partner hasn't decided yet if she's going to leave the hoops natural or paint them black).

So, now I can add another fake swap to my list! But, I should probably wait until my red feedback turns to green Wink
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 04:55:48 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2011 05:07:02 PM »

audio, you are on fire! I love the apothecary jars!
Cheesy Thaks!

Nicely done, audio! I really like the apothecary jar and the patchwork bag, and the "handmade" pendant is clever. Your element sign inspired me to go and take a peek at the Periodic Table to see if I could spell my name. I knew I could use Carbon, Iodine, Nitrogen and Yttrium, but was stuck for a "D." Then, I realized that there was Dysprosium (Dy), so I could eliminate Ytrrium! Sweet!

ETA: And, I just have to thread the needle and I can begin my embroidery!

Ah, I really wish I could do my name! I love the constellations you stitched up! I really really want to do something like that!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #642 on: March 26, 2011 05:41:26 PM »

Those are so cool, craftADDchick! Love constellations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #643 on: March 26, 2011 06:12:49 PM »

The constellations weren't hard, but my French knots definitely need some work! I was thinking that it'd be cool to do all of the Northern Hemisphere constellations and arrange them on the wall according to where they are located in the sky. But, I definitely don't have time for that right now!

I just got "convinced" to organize a swap for real (Granny's Daughters R7), but I'm still going to be fake swapping as well. I'll be working on my items for the Reading Swap tomorrow and then I'm thinking about the following swaps:
-Clock Swap (I picked up a clock at IKEA and it's just waiting for me to have a go at it... I have an idea, nothing exciting, but it has a definite purpose!)
-Character Dotee Swap (I have to find a particular style of fabric, and then I am totally making one! I'm going to swing by Jo-ann Fabrics on my way home on Monday. I also need to locate my supply of shrink plastic.)
OTHPT Swap (Send-outs are Thursday, so I may wait for the next HP swap, instead. However, I could join the Mini M & M's Tube swap and put my HP item in there, along with a couple of other tiny HP things.)
Skirt Swap (but I don't usually wear them, so I'm not sure about this)

And, somewhere on the new swap idea board, someone mentioned a pillowcase swap (as in throw pillows, I think) and if that pops up as an actual swap, I'm in for that!

For right now, I need to read a book that I may use as a supply item for the Reading Swap. I haven't read it yet, and it isn't very long, so I may as well start it before bed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How Lovely
« Reply #644 on: March 26, 2011 06:32:31 PM »

My partner somehow managed to convince the postoffice to open on a sunday and to do a special express delivery!!! First, credit where credit is due Smiley My partner got the idea for the OTTMiyazaki swap item from Ethertree in the "All things Miyazaki Swap" you can see a picture of her's here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;params=YWR2YW5jZWR8J3wwfCJ8dG9waWN8J3wzNTAzNzZ8InxzaG93X2NvbXBsZXRlfCd8MXwifGJyZHwnfDg0fCJ8c3ViamVjdF9vbmx5fCd8fCJ8c29ydF9kaXJ8J3xkZXNjfCJ8c29ydHwnfElEX01TR3wifHNlYXJjaHwnfGltZw==;start=30
Now for Mine! Smiley I fixed up the messy sharpie as best I could, but you can still see the shadows of it Sad

They didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped but I still like them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
plaidpineapple
« Reply #645 on: March 26, 2011 07:16:14 PM »

My name is Plaid Pineapple
I am joining the     
Frugal Living 4: Frugal is the NEW BLACK!
it is due May 1st  I will make 2 meds and 1 small
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #646 on: March 26, 2011 07:55:16 PM »

Ooh, new stuff! Loving the science-y Periodic Tabel & constellations stuff. The science swaps are ones that I've always been interested in, but never actually have done. Perhaps a future fake swap for me? (If I can ever finish the one I'm in. Bah!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #647 on: March 26, 2011 10:23:38 PM »

The apothecary jar is beautiful!  I'll have to make one someday if I ever get my own place.  And the constellations are great!  I LOVE that they glow in the dark!

I just spent pretty much 12 hours straight making jewelry, but nothing came close to the Tudor style.  But I'm going to a bead show tomorrow, so maybe something will inspire me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #648 on: March 26, 2011 10:40:18 PM »

Audio- Beautiful and perfect as always!

How Lovely- I don't know much about Totoro, but the nesting dolls are great!

craftADD- Love the simplicity of the hoops, and great stories

Still sick, but hoping to snap pics of my BritishComedy goodies.  Although one has gone into hiding somewhere and I might have to question the men-folk large and small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #649 on: March 27, 2011 07:59:47 AM »

Love the Tortoro nesting dolls! And, HowLovely, you did a great job fixing up the Sharpie mishap- I can't even tell! What are their ears made of? And are they just glued on? Do they get squashed when they nest, or is there enough clearance (it looks like there might be)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Tyson Granger
How to Draw Tony Chopper
How to Draw Tomoki Sakurai
How to Draw Tinkerbell
How to Draw Thrasher
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...