A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 303,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: '69 Chevelle for my brother in law  (Read 2713 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery , car  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 09, 2011 07:59:37 AM »

My sister's... whatever he is (I call him my brother in law, even if it is legally incorrect) is one of the hardest people to shop for. And, I recently learned, one of the hardest people to get to know. He is a mechanic, super smart guy. He rebuilt his first transmission when he was 11. Yeah. He lives on 5 acres of cars. Yeah. I decided back in like June what I wanted to make for him for Christmas and since, like I said, he is hard to buy/make for I decided to run with it. I called my sister to ask his favorite colors/car/car colors... No help at all. I called a couple months later to see if she had managed to ask him... still no help. So in November I finally just called him. My original idea was to embroider a car with "my sister" laying on the hood in like a bikini or something. Talk about difficult! Here's how the convo went, vaguely (I am "J" he is "A"):

J: Hey, Allen, what's your favorite color for a car?
A: Oh, well I like reds or oranges. Or sometimes I like blues. Or on some cars...
J: OK, let me rephrase that. What's you're favorite car?
A: HA! You know I can't just pick a favorite car! My favorite car I own is my 240 Z. Or maybe it's the Roadrunner...
J: Let's try another approach. Let's get an ideal picture in your head. Close your eyes and imagine [my sister] laying on the hood of a car. What kind of car is it? What color is the car? and What color is she wearing?
A: Yeah, Jes, I'm not your typical motor-head. When I picture [your sister] and a car, I either see her driving it or in the passenger seat or handing me tools... I don't like the whole skimpy girls and cars things.
J: Well, I guess that's good, seeing as you're with my sister and all. Hmm....
A: How about this, my top 3 cars that I have a favorite color for are as follows: '68 Charger in black, '69 Chevelle in red with black stripes, or black with red stripes whichever, they're both awesome, and '70 Chevelle in blue with white stripes.
J: Really? a '69 AND '70 Chevelle?

See why I said he's difficult? Well, I researched (read: Google image searched) the Chevelles he loves and at first, I'll admit it, they looked exactly the same, but after staring at this screen for a few minutes I realized yeah, they are pretty different. I can see why he would specify between them. So I decided to do one of each for him for Christmas and frame them in the hoops so they would be facing each other. Well, I only got the one done, but it's OK because he wasn't there for Christmas anyway. He is a little anti-social and I think the idea of 20+ people in my mom's living room kind of freaked him out. As always. So he will get the '70 next year for Christmas.

So I guess I rambled enough. Here are the pics of the '69 Chevelle. I like taking pics after each color or milestone.

Yup, there's spot of black paint that got on it. I told him he can just call it an oil spot. Adds authenticity, right?

My sister called me a few days later and told me he really liked it. He liked how I stitched it to give the body curve and the metallic floss... it wouldn't have been right at all without the metallic "thread" as he called it. I hate metallic thread! But I did it for him. He's my favorite in-law, even if he doesn't come to Christmas (what's that say about the rest of my in-laws?). Also, it's good that I didn't get the second one finished because now I have next year's present for him! But man, that took a long time. Also, I learned from doing this one a couple things to consider about the next one. Like the side body, I shouldn't do it all in one long satin stitch, I should break it down into section like the car.

I don't know how long it took me, but it was a long time. I think it's in an 8" hoop for size reference. Mostly satin stitch.

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011 08:36:35 AM »

that is pretty sweet! i have been checking out a bunch of hoops but i have never tried one... i would love to make an impala for my daddy... maybe one day  Cheesy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011 08:47:12 AM »

Sweet! This makes me want to do my 79 Camaro... but I need more practice first lol. great job!

If it's Nerdy, I'll make it.

Don't make me use my wand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011 10:42:39 AM »

Gorgeous. Cheesy

One trick I've used on the ones that I did/have to do, that long satin stitch on. I'll take a single strand and in a place i know I have to put a detail over it I'll secure the treads in sections of 3-5 to piece.

It's hard to put into words I guess. I'll just take short perpendicular stitches where I know I'll be able to hide them. Sometimes you need that long stitch to make it look right.

Nice work. I can't wait to see the one for next year. As a "car guy" I get the it's impossible to pick a favorite, I'm glad you were able to find out some of his favorites.

NDBex Creations

Happiest when creating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011 02:57:28 PM »

Wow this is really rad!  I love it!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright, 1876-1944

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011 06:29:41 PM »

That's gorgeous! So work-intensive! My sis would love one.

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

**Craft your life**

Live long, and prosper

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011 06:51:49 PM »

This is seriously cool!  Something inherently feminine but made for a man!  I can't wait to see next years gift!

I continue to be on the hunt for Tula Pink Nightshade fabric, with the Coven cameos in any colorway. To buy, swap, or otherwise obtain. Name your price, me hearty!
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011 08:03:25 AM »

This totally rocks!  Wink

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011 08:27:05 AM »

Thanks everyone! I think this is the most replies I've ever had for a post!

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011 12:34:07 PM »

Yep.  This definitely rocks. So amazing, so thoughtful, so crazy. I just love it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sushi and Sashimi Condiments
How to Prepare a California Roll
What is Shiso
How to Prepare Futomaki
Food Truck Favorite: Hapa SF
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...