A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flash's Gingerbread House  (Read 2684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tropicbird
« on: January 08, 2011 11:09:11 PM »

In December, when I began this year's gingerbread house, the farthest thing from my mind was entering a competition, but someone suggested this contest after seeing a picture I'd posted on Facebook.

Since I'm a novice to these forums, I couldn't figure out how to post the photos here, but I've uploaded 11 photos of the project to Craftster's Member Gallery under "Flash's Gingerbread House 2010".

So now I'm wishing that I'd cleaned up all those messy Royal Icing splatters, drips and clumps

and taken more close-ups of key architectural features. ;-]  

My inspiration for cookie houses began in 1974 with a mass-produced one that my then-little sons received as a gift. Before it was torn apart and eaten I traced the basic cottage design, and the next Christmas, with the help of a delicious gingerbread recipe, the tradition began.

The boys grew into adolescence and lost interest, of course, but decades later, with grandchildren entering the picture, the tradition is back. Each year begs for a new design, and since the grandchildren recently moved into a new house, it seemed perfectly logical to present my rendition of their two-story colonial in cookie form.

The back of the house has a deck, like their real house does, but when my grandson pointed out that there really aren't shutters on all four sides, I had to explain artistic license and that all my gingerbread houses have shuttered windows and window boxes. I also pointed out that cookie houses differ from real homes in other ways as well, such as not having a bathroom!

One touch of realism, however, was having a gingerbread version of their Labrador Retriever, Flash, looking out the front window as he does on a regular basis. The gallery shows the real Flash (in the flesh) looking out the window while our attention was on the freshly-standing and unadorned four walls of the cookie house

It also includes a view of Flash-the-cookie on the inside of the gingerbread house before I put the roof on

And there's a photo of the cookie version of Flash as seen from the outside of the gingerbread house as well

Besides Flash, there were other fun things inside to draw interest: a round, red licorice rug; a fireplace with stockings; a tree; some presents; gingerbread boys; dolphin-shaped cookies and hearts, etc. on the walls. So peeking inside with flashlights was part of the fun.

My basic expectations for a cookie house is that it has to be 100% edible and 100% delicious. Help from little hands is encouraged as much as attention spans last, and nibbling on candies, and "gingerbread-mistakes" during the construction and decorating phases is part of the tradition.

I just want to thank Craftster for this competition which provides an opportunity to share these unique and clever creations, and to say good luck to all the other gingerbread-bakers who have presented some strong competition. I admire all their efforts and am taking notes for next year's design!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 08:23:07 AM by Tropicbird - Reason: To remove links and add photos from gallery » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011 01:02:40 PM »

I love this! I especially love the interior details such as Flash and the licorice rug! This ROCKS!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
queenarmadillo
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011 12:15:56 PM »

I love the idea of doing a gingerbread version of your  own house! I also think putting Flash inside is awesome, although do wonder whether anyone managed to bring themselves to eat him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tropicbird
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011 06:09:04 PM »

That's so funny! But I must admit that the recipe is so good that nothing, not even Flash, is spared. Thanks for enjoying Flash's house and for your comment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Items for Awesome Lighted Photos
Home Photography Tips
Child Modeling
Tips to Shorten Camera Shutter Lags
Family Portrait Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...