A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Arm Pattern Question  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violetspace
« on: January 08, 2011 01:58:20 PM »

This is probably a really dumb question, but I have searched it up and found nothing. Probably the words aren't specific enough. But my problem is: I have a basic arm pattern that I'm using for a coat, but it doesn't say if it's for the left or the right arm. What side does general basic arm patterns tend to be?

This is what the pattern looks like if that helps. I have outlined the markings in black. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011 08:15:33 PM by Aislynn - Reason: Modified to show image. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011 07:58:04 PM »

I think sleeve patterns aren't usually labeled right and left because, well, you're going to need two anyways. They expect you to cut it out with your fabric folded in half so you end up with two sleeves that are mirror images of each other. Once you have each sleeve put together, you match it up so the deeper curve is in the front when you're putting the sleeve in. In this particular pattern, you also have an elbow dart, which shows you that side is the back of the arm. So by that logic, I guess this would be for the left arm if you cut it with the pattern on top of the right side of the fabric, and for the right arm if you cut it with the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric. I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violetspace
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011 01:07:49 PM »

I think I kind of understand what you mean, but I made the arms already, the pattern is for one whole arm, not two mirrored parts.. :S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011 02:02:27 PM »

yes you're right, it's the pattern for one whole arm, but if you flip it, it becomes the other arm, so it is for two mirrored pieces. Let's see if I can rephrase a little bit... your arms are mirror images of each other, so you use the same pattern piece for both, just flipped over. If you put this pattern piece up to your arm with the marks on the outside, it would cover your left arm but if you put it around your arm with the marks inside (against your skin) then it fits your right arm. If your fabric is folded in half, you'll automatically get two mirror-image sleeves, even though you only have the pattern for one arm. There is no left and right for a sleeve pattern until you have it cut out of fabric - then you have a left and right because the fabric has an outside and inside. I'm not sure how else to explain it  Undecided I hope someone else can help better if it still doesn't make sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011 03:44:03 PM »

Your sleeve has a dart in it. The dart would be on the back. Usually the sleeve will have notches, one notch matches the front, double notch matches the back.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
violetspace
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011 04:35:02 PM »

Ahh yes, I think I get it now^^ I'm never been good at getting sewing explained to me, which is why I find making my own patterns is easier than trying to understand the Burda description they never even have in my own language anyways:p That's off topic, but thank you=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Rate and Sort Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Import Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Use Adobe Lightroom
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Autoflow for Automatic Documents
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Pre-Linking and Adjusting Text Frame Options
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...