We cant paint cause we are renting but I was dying to do something to my daughters walls besides hanging pictures. I heard from another craftster about doing diy wall decals with contact paper. While searching that online, I found links to show how to do wall decals with fabric instead. I have TONS of fabric Ive been picking up from the remanants at Joanns that I figured Id find some way to use eventually, and I thought this would be the perfect use for it. It turned out to be a super fun project, and easy!
There are different ways of adhering the fabric to the wall...I started out using two sided fusible interfacing. You iron it to the fabric first, then peel off the paper on the other side and stick it where you want it on the wall. Once you have it in place, you iron it to the wall to bond it. It really does come off without peeling the paint too, I tested! But considering how big of a project I had planned, it would be too expensive to buy that much interfacing. So after using up the pack I had already bought, I switched to using corn starch and water (1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold water, then add 4 cups boiling water...makes a lot!). You paint a little on the wall with a brush, stick the fabric up, then paint over the fabric with more starch and let it dry. This works just as good though it is a lot messier. I also noticed there is some excess starch residue I will wipe off once I have totally finished.
Most of the stuff I freehanded it onto the fabric then cut it, or I googled whatever shape I was looking for and the pieced it together looking at the pictures I liked. The deer and squirrel I looked for silhouettes online to use as a guide and the owl I did applique on my sewing machine before putting it up. This isnt finished yet, I plan on adding some flowers, more animals, maybe a sun and clouds, mushrooms, a gnome, etc...But it is finished enough to start posting pics I thought
I also need to trim up the tree and some of the edges of the fabric that frayed, then wipe off the excess starch but like I said, might as well wait til its done...Ill add more pics as I get it finished, its going to go a lot slower now though since I start school back on Monday blah
what it looks like as of last night
the beginning, ironing the tree stump to the wall
you can see how the top looks darker cause I had switched to starch, but it all dried the same color.
all of the tree up, plus the birdhouse
applique owl in the hole, the body is light pink it was wet still when I took this pic so it looks a little different
top of the tree
bird with birdhouse, thinking about adding a baby bird or birds egg in the birdhouse maybe
my favorite so far, the deer. this was done in 4 pieces-the body, the head, and each ear