A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric wall decal mural *pic heavy*  (Read 1484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheerupem0kidx0x
« on: January 08, 2011 10:05:56 AM »

We cant paint cause we are renting but I was dying to do something to my daughters walls besides hanging pictures. I heard from another craftster about doing diy wall decals with contact paper. While searching that online, I found links to show how to do wall decals with fabric instead. I have TONS of fabric Ive been picking up from the remanants at Joanns that I figured Id find some way to use eventually, and I thought this would be the perfect use for it. It turned out to be a super fun project, and easy!
There are different ways of adhering the fabric to the wall...I started out using two sided fusible interfacing. You iron it to the fabric first, then peel off the paper on the other side and stick it where you want it on the wall. Once you have it in place, you iron it to the wall to bond it. It really does come off without peeling the paint too, I tested! But considering how big of a project I had planned, it would be too expensive to buy that much interfacing. So after using up the pack I had already bought, I switched to using corn starch and water (1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold water, then add 4 cups boiling water...makes a lot!). You paint a little on the wall with a brush, stick the fabric up, then paint over the fabric with more starch and let it dry. This works just as good though it is a lot messier. I also noticed there is some excess starch residue I will wipe off once I have totally finished.
Most of the stuff I freehanded it onto the fabric then cut it, or I googled whatever shape I was looking for and the pieced it together looking at the pictures I liked. The deer and squirrel I looked for silhouettes online to use as a guide and the owl I did applique on my sewing machine before putting it up. This isnt finished yet, I plan on adding some flowers, more animals, maybe a sun and clouds, mushrooms, a gnome, etc...But it is finished enough to start posting pics I thought Smiley I also need to trim up the tree and some of the edges of the fabric that frayed, then wipe off the excess starch but like I said, might as well wait til its done...Ill add more pics as I get it finished, its going to go a lot slower now though since I start school back on Monday blah  Undecided

what it looks like as of last night

the beginning, ironing the tree stump to the wall

you can see how the top looks darker cause I had switched to starch, but it all dried the same color.

all of the tree up, plus the birdhouse

birdhouse

applique owl in the hole, the body is light pink it was wet still when I took this pic so it looks a little different

top of the tree

bird with birdhouse, thinking about adding a baby bird or birds egg in the birdhouse maybe

another bird

squirrel

my favorite so far, the deer. this was done in 4 pieces-the body, the head, and each ear

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizafer

Glitter is herpes of the crafting world.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011 10:27:45 AM »

That is a great idea and so cute to. I am sure your daughter is just thrilled!

I too am renting and I had always loved the wall decals I saw in the stores but nothing that would go with me or my style. But thanks to you and my loads of extra fabric I can create my own and have a cheap way of getting them up! Thanks again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011 01:46:00 PM »

What a cute idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Custom Menus in Adobe Encore Lesson 2
How to Design Custom Menus in Adobe Encore Lesson 4
How to Get Started in Adobe Flash Lesson 3
How to Get Started in Adobe Flash Lesson 1
How to Get Started in Adobe Flash Lesson 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...