A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Materials for Bookbinding  (Read 458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkricepudding

Just breathe it in.

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2011 08:06:47 AM »

Hello everyone,
This past week I've had the flu and have been unable to do most everything.
So in all of my free time, I wrote a collection of original fairy tales for my future children. I want to illustrate them and bind them as a book, but I was wondering what would be the best materials to use?
I was thinking water-color paper because I wanted watercolor illustrations, but aside from that, I am clueless as to what I should use and where I would get the supplies for that matter.
Also, would laminating the pages before binding be a good idea?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyxmalia
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011 10:05:50 AM »

When it comes to laminating...I would, to preserve the pages in the future.  I even use packing tape to laminate! Works like a charm and keeps the pages bendable.

For binding, depending on the size of the pages, I've used everything from ribbons (punching holes and tying the book together) to rings to actual gluing of signatures.  I got a book binder with the combs for Christmas a few years ago, also, and that works well but for a project like yours, I don't feel it'd be as personal. 

There are tons of tutorials online for any kind of binding you want to do.  When I use the ribbons, I actually loop them through all of the holes over a dozen times so it holds it very well.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
twistedbeader
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011 11:29:56 PM »

I have been making a lot of journals lately what I have been doing and since you want to use watercolor paper might be perfect for you. I get a pad of watercolor paper and make sure the back board is a thick hard board. Then I carefully tear out the pages and fold all of them in half. I use the back of the pad ( the hard back part) and cut that in half this is what I use as the cover and decorate how ever I want to . I then sew the pages to the cover using lots of various stitching. Coptic is easy to learn. Or if you want to cut the pages japanese stab binding.

I just find that by doing it that way I don't have to buy separate book board.

I have also bought presentation board which is available at my local craft store. It is with all the art paper (its much thicker then poster board but has no foam in the middle. )

hope that helps Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life with out beads is a sad life indeed
My soap is so awsome I can wash anything! -sung as this book is so awesome from Harry and the Potters

Wist- http://www.wists.com/twistedbeader
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hottest Fur Fashion Trends
4 New Ways to Style Your Favorite Flannels
Eva Longoria Pulls An Angelina Jolie Leg Pose
Dramatic Embellishments Light Up the Golden Globes
Golden Globes Red Carpet Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...