A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Horse/Unicorn Hats!  (Read 1366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErintheRed02
« on: January 07, 2011 09:00:02 PM »

Hey guys!

Eventually I'd love to make up my own patterns so I can sell them or items I've made from them.  As a first step towards this direction, I decided I want to come up with a number of animal-related hats.  Hats are simple enough to make and functional, plus they can be really really cute too if you do it right!  Also, it's a great way for me to combine my favorite hobby (crochet) and my passion in life (animals--I'm a zoology major  Smiley ).

For my first endeavor towards this goal, I figured I'd come up with a pattern that could be used to make a horse hat or unicorn hat depending on the addition or subtraction of a couple of elements and the colors you choose to use.  There is a world of color combinations to explore, but this is what I came up with (pics are clickable thumbnails):

As you can see, I really need one of those head mannequin thingies so I don't have to subject my poor flamingo to anymore hats on his hind-end, haha.  The pictures aren't the best either (especially of the unicorn hat), but I couldn't wait any longer to post them so you hopefully get the idea  Undecided

I tried designing them so the earflaps look like the rings on the sides of a bridle and the braids would then be the reins (you may notice that the unicorn hat isn't technically finished since it doesn't have braids yet, but I wanted them to be pink and don't have any pink yarn yet), but I'm not sure that came across well?  Oh well, I like it at least Smiley

I didn't put any ears on the unicorn hat because I thought it would be a bit excessive with the horn and all.  However, my mom insists that the hat needs the ears, so I wanted to know what you guys thought!  I might stick some on there if everyone thinks it needs it  Cheesy

Also, I have a question to anybody reading this; would you or anybody you know be willing to wear something like this?  I know one person that went crazy when she saw the horse hat but she is a little bit crazy herself (in the best way possible of course!)

I'm going to hoard the pattern I used to make these seeing as I would eventually hope to sell them, but I would like some other people to work through it to see how the sizing works out for them (and to make sure the pattern makes sense to somebody that's not me).  I figure the best way to do this is to offer to email it to the first three or so people that express interest?  If you are interested, you can PM me saying so and include an email address where I can email you a pdf file of the pattern.  Hopefully I am allowed to do this; I promise I won't give your email out to anybody or send you vicious emails or anything like that! In return, all I ask is that you keep the pattern to yourself  Wink

Anyways, I appreciate everyone that took the time to look at my post, especially those that take the time to give me input!  Comments are always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafting Blog!
http://nerdyhooker.blogspot.com/

My Pinterest (that I actually use)!
http://pinterest.com/erinthered02/

My wist (always forget to use it but am working on it!):
http://www.wists.com/ErintheRed
wawamommy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011 07:19:04 AM »

As a crazy hat creator and wearer, I totally adore these hats!  I agree with your mom, your unicorn hat needs ears.  I'd wear the unicorn hat, absolutely!  The foam heads are available on Ebay for a relatively low cost. Good luck on your endeavors!  Great job on the hats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greatthursday
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011 08:34:17 PM »

I LOVE crazy hats. I have a Koala hat and a rainbow hat and a huge brim sunhat and and and lots of hats. Smiley

And I LOVE these. How freaking adorable! Are they lined? If not, have you considered lining them with fleece or something? That would be a lovely, lovely addition (yarn gets itchy on my poor head, from experience!).

They are so cute, though. I think they could use ears, I imagine if you knit (or crochet?) an oval shape and curl it around and then attach it it would be a passable horse ear, if you get what I'm saying. I think your mom is right though. It wouldn't be excessive with the horn, though!

I really like your bridle earflap idea, though I don't know that it necessarily comes across. The design is great as-is, but I don't know that "bridle" was the first thing I thought when I saw it. Don't change the design, though. It looks fantastic.

If you are planning on selling though, a mannequin is a must-have for presentation. These are unique, so I'm sure you will find a welcoming niche, but a mannequin would really finish it off!

Best of luck! These are rockin'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Promises Book Trailer
Shoptimism Book Trailer
Return to Beauty Book Trailer
Bestselling Author Stephen King Talks About Under the Dome
Alisa Malek Talks About A Country Called Amreeka
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...