A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize a small craft storage space??  (Read 1831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FishyD
« on: January 07, 2011 06:54:50 PM »

I have searched and searched for craft organizing ideas! Everything I see seems to be for craft rooms or really large spaces, but I won't have that kind of space. See, I'm moving myself and my son (plus a small dog and a cat) over the next few months into my boyfriend's house. He has 2 kids and a small dog. We're moving into his 3 bedroom house, so all the bedrooms are already claimed. There is no basement, and the living room and dining room are already pretty much claimed. (he's lived there 10 yrs, so its pretty much fully furnished, lol).

I'm downsizing from living in my 2 bedroom apartment which was small, but filled with my own stuff, lol. I had my bedroom all to myself (where I craft) with a long closet that went the length of one wall (about 8 ft long) that 1/2 was used for craft storage, plus an old particle board desk, old small dresser, 3 18-gallon plastic tubs and a small bookcase (about 4 ft tall) filled with all my crafty goodiness.

I'm going to need to reduce it to probably 1 small dresser OR bookcase, 1 plastic tub, and my boyfriend is giving up his armoire/wardrobe for my craftiness that's in his bedroom.

I have NO IDEA where to begin! I've joined the destash along and 50 projects in 2011 so I can start to use some stuff up, and I know I'm going to have to get rid of other craft supplies. I haven't gone through what I have for so long that I don't even know what I have anymore, so I know I can get rid of some stuff, but wondering how I can fit the rest into the space available.

Our bedroom that we will share will have 2 dressers, the armoire and my work desk (I work from home) which will double as my crafty space. He has a good sized room, but its a pretty OLD house and the closets are SMALL and he also has a king bed that takes up most of the space.

ANY organizational tips/advice, any pics/inspiration for small organized craft spaces would be awesome! I do all kinds of crafting, learned to knit, learning to sew, scrapbook, and all kinds of odds and ends in between! Smiley

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011 07:04:21 PM by FishyD » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FishyD
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011 07:19:53 PM »

Oh, and I'm trying not to buy anything new until I know for sure there will be room for anything more, as far as storage units/bins/etc. I have quite a few already, and after the boyfriend goes through his own stuff and downsizes to make room for me, and we get everything in, we'll see what we need to get from there but I want to try to keep my crafty supplies limited so as not to take over my poor boyfriend's bedroom, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimmyLynne82
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I enjoy being a dame.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011 11:01:03 AM »

I don't really have any advice, but wanted to wish you luck!!

Sounds like maybe rubbermaid storage containers will be your friend Smiley like those under the bed kind that you can store away when you're not crafting, are clear plastic so you can still see what's in them, etc. I'm looking for ideas myself, so I'm probably not much help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog~Twitter: @ThePeachMartini

I <3 Personal Swaps!
margiej
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011 04:53:54 PM »

You can rent a small storage space for awhile until you decide, as you will probably have furniture to also store.  Or maybe get a back-yard storage shed or one of those fiberglass ones that are like a closet with doors, that snug up against the wall on the patio.  Just don't burn too many bridges right off! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
FishyD
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011 05:45:55 PM »

KimmyLynne82 - I wish you luck, too! My boyfriend was gracious enough to clear out his wardrobe armoire, but I have SO MUCH MORE craft stuff than that, and I hope to not have to get rid of so much that I will be dreading it, lol. I actually JUST measured the boyfriend's bed underneath to see if I could fit an under-the-bed storage. I have one in my apartment that holds gift-wrap, and it is so snug that I at least know I have to look for something a little bit shorter. It fits, barely, but I can get 4 under his king size bed, he has 1 already and its full of his memorabilia stuff, so I can use 3 more, lol. Unfortunately, his bedroom is chock full of furniture already, and we are having clothes storage issues. He and his ex-wife lived in this house, and he had the wardrobe for his closet (old house, small closets) and his ex-wife had the regular closet just for clothes. He said for several years he's had the wardrobe just holding junk, which is why he let me use it for my crafty goodness. Smiley he is sweet because he thought of that for me. I heart him. Smiley

margiej - The boyfriend and I actually are going to rent a storage unit for a while to store furniture of both of ours that wont fit in the house when we combine, some of his stuff, some of mine, mainly the stuff of mine that I dont want to get rid of just yet so if it doesn't work out I won't have to start completely over, lol. So you're right, I will have that space, and will have a little while to really figure out what I use more often. I'm thinking if I do that I will have to make a list of what is in storage so I don't forget what I have and buy duplicates or whatever, lol. That actually makes me feel less stressed about it. I have a few months before we even get to the point of getting a storage unit right now, so I have plenty of time to get stuff organized into what I use more often for now, too. Smiley

Thanks for the ideas! Huge help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic Christmas Pudding Recipe
Cranberry, Chocolate and Pecan Biscotti Recipe
How to Make a Perfect Bruléed Pumpkin Pie for the Holidays
How to Bake a Stress-Free Pie Like the Pros at Magnolia Bakery
How To Make A Lighter Pumpkin Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...