A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A gingerbread house of (my) firsts (with lots of pics)  (Read 5350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DawnsTrees
« on: January 07, 2011 02:12:39 AM »

I think that we discovered a new holiday tradition this year - making gingerbread houses!

I had never made a gingerbread house. I am sure that at one point back in elementary school I had popped some graham crackers together and slathered icing on them, but I had never made a true gingerbread house (even one from one of those packets). I think my husband was a bit appalled, and he was determined that this year we would make gingerbread houses. From scratch.

We went a bit overboard. I still have large bags of candy left over (what were we thinking? That we needed to fill the INSIDE of the houses with candycorn, gum drops, and cinnamon dots?) They certainly did not turn out perfectly (did you know that if you use marshmallow cream to decorate a roof, it will very s l o w l y drip off, taking all of your decorations with it?), but we had fun! We started a couple of days before Christmas, designing our houses and making the dough. My daughters and I each made a house, decorating them throughout Christmas day. My husband did the hard prep work of kneading the dough and rolling it out, as well as making various colored icing for us to use. He also kept us full of warm cider and a variety of non-sweet items, since we were eating as much candy as we were using.

So, on to my pictures!

I forgot to put a light inside the structure to show off the melted candy windows, so we put a light behind the house to try to get some light coming through the windows. The odd pole-like thing on the left is supposed to be a lamp post. Next to it is one of my favorite parts - a little round snowman that just did not want to stand up (like my real life snowmen...) but trust me, he was really cute. I also like the way the tree turned out. Originally I made two trees, but one kept breaking...

This is the other side of the house, again with a light coming through from behind the house. The snowman on this side is more of a traditional gingerbread snowman.

The "front" of the house, with an open door:

The "back" of the house. The little door is a miniature chocolate candy bar.

And the whole happy little village:

Overall, I was pleased with my first attempt at a gingerbread house. I promised my family that I would post its pictures in my first craft challenge, because, well, it was FUN!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011 04:40:35 AM »

This is really cute.  I especially like the circular windows with the piping around them. It looks like you did have a lot of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bluebeccah
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011 07:22:43 AM »

I Love that whimsical tree!  Your windows look especially awesome when they're lighted up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011 07:35:00 AM »

I think its lovely!  The windows are totally awesome!  That tree is super cute.  I love that your whole family was involved in gingerbread house fun.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrskristina
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011 07:38:59 AM »

This is fabulous! I love the nice glow that the light puts off, very warm and welcoming.

(I also like the Santa hat on your Christmas tree, that's cute! Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoCraftyTal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011 10:52:16 AM »

This came out great! From your photos, at first glance, I thought the House was the size of your real Christmas tree... didn't realize it was on a table! HAHA!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
DawnsTrees
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011 04:34:30 PM »

Thanks everyone!

mrskristina - we have been using the Santa hat as our tree topper for the last few years, not sure how it came about, but we think its fun!

SoCraftyTal - that is hysterical! A life size gingerbread house - at least the house would always smell good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011 11:12:42 AM »

In the thumbnail I thought this G-bread house was big enough to walk in!  Turned out nice, even if it is too little to wait for Santa in.  I love the candy windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011 01:05:58 PM »

This is lovely. It looks traditional, but still unique! The height of the windows and building almost makes it look cathedral-esque. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashionjewelryforeveryone
Fashion Jewelry For Everyone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011 10:30:37 AM »

Very inspirational. I am sure you are a very patient person to have this complete project done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cachelady
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011 06:51:53 PM »

Wow this is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Tips to Taking Successful Selfies
Steve McCurry: The Sartorialist for AOL On
Humans Of New York
9 Tips for Taking Better Photos
Man Creates Stunningly Realistic Diorama Of His 1950s-Era Home Town
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...