A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: -:-___MAKE AN AREA RUG___-:-  (Read 1239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2005 06:51:11 PM »

I wana make an area for my bedroom .. does neone know how I would go about doing this???
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005 07:54:59 AM by Autywon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
chewysmoon

I promise to go wandering

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005 06:56:32 PM »

alot depends on what kind of rug you want to make--I've made a few out of seatbelts-very durable. You could also make a rag rug or reconstruct some old ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go lightly from the ledge babe, go lightly on the ground. I'm not the one you want, babe, I'll only let you down. Go melt back in the night-everything in sight is made of stone. There's nothing in here moving, and anyway I'm not alone.
Shadowhand
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005 01:21:02 AM »

For a really cheap and easy rug, go down to your local carpet salesman and get a book of carpet samples (for free). Arrange them to form a patchwork design of squares, then cut the binding off the internal sides (IMPORTANT: Do not cut the external bindings that will make up the outside edges of the rug - you'll need these to stop the rug from falling apart). Place your design face down and use gaffer to stick the samples together (on the back of the rug). Voila!

If you want to make a rag rug (which I WILL do one of these days Smiley ), check out your local library for inspiration and books on the subject.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005 06:01:38 PM »

oh okay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005 09:26:14 PM »

you can cut carpet samples or remenents (sp?)  for bigger pieces and 'glue' them together with a special tape and iron for carpet seams.  i had to do this once to connect regular carpet invisibly, but you can do it intentionally and make your own patchwork design. cut carpet from the backside with a utility knife. you can rent the iron and buy the tape from the carpet shop and definitely check out remenent pieces, they are way cheaper and often great.  also you can get wool carpet in small pieces for a good price and then you'll minimize the effects of off-gassing from plastic carpets and wool is biodegradable as well. last you will probably want to sew a binding around the outside edge using a heavy cotton tape or ribbon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
messysmess
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005 09:38:59 PM »

So carpet stores really give the sample books away for free?  Has anyone asked for one before?
Because this really sounds like a cool idea which I'd love to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005 09:44:02 PM »

they will generally give away samples for rugs that have been discontinued, so if they don't have any they can give you, ask when you might come back to check again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
kewlchik
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005 02:06:08 PM »

You can paint a painters fabric drop cloth with paint, just make sure it is stapled to an old board or something so when it dries it will dry flat, then you can hand stencil or glue fabric to it  make it look like a pattern on it. Then seal with diamond finish sealant. These are really durable and you can do whatever decor you want with them. They also come in really large sizes as well so if you needed to do a larger room you could.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fl_mariposa
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005 03:46:56 PM »

I've always had to buy samples. They usually cost around $2-3 each, so if you have to buy them, it wouldn't be a very economical rug. Can you latch hook something that big?? You could do a braided rag rug. Take rags, braid, braid, braid, add in new strips as you need them until you have a ginormous braid. The wind it around itself in an oval or circle, and sew together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
ynneg
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005 11:06:33 PM »

My mom and I went to get excess carpet from a store one time and they were charging alot. Instead we ended up getting a ton of free carpet by asking carpeting people who we drove by while they were working at someone's house. I think they usually throw away scraps that arern't "big enough" for them to sell. If you know anyone recarpeting their home or ever happen to drive by it's a good way to get some free carpet. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hush Puppies
How to Make Hot Sauce for Buffalo Wings
How to Make Hot Dogs in a Thermos
How to Make Hot Dog Relish
Homemade Thanksgiving Stuffing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...