A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PerlerBead Sonic the Hedgehog Box 15 hours of work!  (Read 4550 times)
Tags for this thread: perler_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 06, 2011 02:17:05 PM »

I suppose this will be a great place to post my first thread...I'm crafty to the max. I try and hit as many interesting mediums: painting, drawing, button making, crochet, sew, cross stitch, stitching in general, composite re-purposing of anything...etc...but one of my favorite mediums to work in is Perler Beads. I think my first exposure was in elementary school or girl scouts, but Perler Beads are simple enough to explain...

you know...those melty beads.

A while back I saw a guy on Kickstarter.com who was creating the entire Simpson's town of Springfield in all Perler Beads and I was intrigued. What else could I do with Perler Beads? Well, I started thinking up 8 bit projects I could make and then realized there's a whole community of it! I even met a fellow Perler Bead crafter when I went to San Fran's APE Expo!

I've made many creations, including a huge poster reproduction for Wil Wheaton, Adam Savage and Paul & Storm's "w00tstock'. Original artwork done by rstevens of www.DieselSweeties.com. But this one is by far my personal favorite project.

I couldn't afford a nice birthday gift for my son...his birthday falls on Jan 8th. We're usually tapped out after Christmas, but we make sure to get him something. This year...tapped out to the max. A pipe exploded in the basement, I delayed my car payment for Christmas gifts...so it's all hitting us at the same time. Instead of running out to spend a ton of money on a present (which what he wanted was pricey) I let him know that I was going to be making something a bit more epic than what he wanted. He wanted Chaos Emerald reproductions (basically gigantic glass diamonds in the colors of the Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos Emerald colors). These cost between $10-$20 a piece and there's 7 colors. YOWZAH!

Instead, I made this:

If anything, he can put those Chaos Emeralds IN the box when we can afford them for him. I know him...he's not one of those kids who hates homemade presents...in fact...he's always asking me to make him custom stuff. I crochet him a Sonic Chao Doll for Christmas because I couldn't afford to buy the Japanese one that was rare-hard-to-find. He loved it!

I'm contemplating crocheting him a Doctor Who Raggedy Doctor doll. A simple small one. I can probably whip one up before Saturday. If I can get this damned housecleaning done. Blargh.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011 02:22:40 PM »

Clarification. The Sonic design was from another online perler bead crafter:

All design credit for the Sonic goes to that artist! Credit where credit is due (please don't sell other people's designs without permission...crafter unite!)

I DID however, alter the colors a bit (had no light grey beads) and spiced it up a bit. The box design was my own, including the rainbow background and the Chaos Emeralds on the side.

Thank you!

Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011 02:33:21 PM »

Great job!

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011 02:59:35 PM »

Wow, that looks like a lot of work!  But the result looks top notch!  I was never big on Sonic, but my little bro is, I know he would love that!  Congrats on an awesome first post  Grin
Old Lace
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011 03:12:17 PM »

That's awesome. I'm sure he'll love it (I know I would Wink )
I'm not completely familiar with perler beads since my only contact with them was back in grade school, but I know that you place the beads on a peg borad or something like that and then iron them to make a sheet. Did you use anything as support for the beads once they were fused together like over a cigar box or something? or just glue the sheets together to make a box?
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011 03:20:28 PM »

actually I designed it like this:

See how I made little spaces? You just have to make sure that all you notches have a spot to fit. Make sure your pieces (with the one bead) are warmed up and they are easier to slip into place. Also, DON'T melt your beads at too high a temp or they will end up to wide to fit together and will look weird. I would also recommend a low heat glue gun on the inside joints. Just for stability...but if you construct it right, and apply a little heat at the joints when they are all set, you should be okay.

Old Lace
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011 08:06:23 PM »

That's really...dare I say...crafty of you.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011 06:55:45 AM »

amazing my son loves Sonic how did you make the box part?

Have fun you only live once!!!

Stay in control, and never panic. -Martha Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011 08:10:36 AM »

Love it! Grin

In Martha we trust

I love swapping altered puzzle pieces! PM ME! Smiley
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011 01:22:42 PM »

This is awesome:) My boyfriend is a fully grown man and would STILL be all over this:P:)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Your Date-Night Style Says About You
How to Dress Like a Celebrity
3 Ways to Wear Tartan/Check
The Golden Globes Fashion Review
2015 Red Carpet Award Season Preview
Latest Blog Articles
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers
Spotlight on: Precious Metal Clay

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...