A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,191
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: book cover clock  (Read 2974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2004 03:52:33 AM »

I was only told about this, but it did sound really cute. At this adorable gift shop downtown, a lady was telling me about a clock she had seen that was made from the hardcover of an old children's book. I have no idea how you'd finish the previously bound edge, but it sounds like possibly a great baby gift. Can anybody take this one and run with it a little? I'm supposing it would even work for old nancy drew books and things like that. Also, what would you use to punch the hole in the middle of the book? I'm pretty new to hardcore crafting, so I'm not sure of the toolular needs there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
ScrapWench
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004 07:53:07 AM »

I haven't seen one of these either, but it sounds really cute. If it were me, I might leave the binding edge on the book, and remove the back cover and inner pages. It would give the book a 3d look on the wall, but cut down on the weight quite a bit. Maybe use foam core on the back side to brace the spine so it would stay straight? Hopefully that made sense.

As far as the holes go, a drill would work, or one of those japanese drill punch thingamabobs. Depending on the thickness of the cover, even an eyelet hole punch might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alisonwonderland
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004 10:34:33 PM »

that wasn't downtown capitola was it?? we were there the other day and they had clocks exactly like that and they were ADORABLE. If you have access to a drill or something that would probably be the best way to get it through the books.. and I don't know much about inserting clockworks but I assume they're already made and you just.. insert them? assemble them? sorry.. that's all I can tell you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't seem to be the same today as I was yesterday.
craft-matic
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004 08:09:51 AM »

If it were me, I would leave all the pages in, but cut out a well for the clockworks from the inner pages with a utility knife.  I did that once to make a 'secret compartment' book, and it worked fine.  Especially if you paint unbound edges with slightly diluted white glue.  A drill would work to put the hole in the front, though a dremmel tool might be better.  If you leave both covers on and the pages in the middle, esp. if it's thick enough, then the book will be able to stand up on its own on a shelf.  This is an excellent idea.  I think I may try it soon.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
superfem
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004 04:07:39 PM »

craft-matic:
I did that once to make a 'secret compartment' book

Yay!  I just did a search on craftster for 'book and secret' and I found this post.  I was wondering if you have any other info on your secret compartment book?  I am looking to make one for a birthday present but am not quite sure I've got all the right ideas.

I am relieved to hear that a utility knife would seem to be okay for cutting the pages.  Also the tip about the diluted white glue is awesome.  I'll search around some more, but I would love to hear any more of the details of your project.

Did you line the interior compartment with velvet/satin or anything?  Did you start the compartment on the first page or have it open from somewhere in the middle? 

I found a link to such things here:

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/book-safe.shtml

Are there any additional recommendations for making a cool book secret compartment/safe thing?!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004 04:10:38 PM by superfem » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Best Looks from Emmy Night
5 Must-Have Beauty Products For Fall
Beauty Tutorial: How to Create the Veronica Lake Look
How to Remove Gel Nails at Home
Birchbox Must-Haves for September 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...