A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pirate burlesque costumes  (Read 832 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate , burlesque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherry_Phosphate
« on: January 06, 2011 11:31:08 AM »

heya -
These are over a year old now, but since i took influence HEAVILY from so many posts here i thought i really should post my own project. i haven't posted enough do inline pictures yet. so clicky to flickr to see some pictures.

The back story is that we were making costumes for a pirate themed, group burlesque number. We needed two 'gangs' of pirates. 6 girls with very different body types have to be able to dance in them. oh yeah, they must be removable for the hot burlesque action. AND the choreographer really wanted one team to be 'spun out' of their skirts. meaning one person holds on to the skirt, the other one spins away and is suddenly undressed.

For the Spinning Gang would get 3 matching "pirate wench wrap skirts".

(in progress shot)

to do this i bought 4 or 5 thrift store skirts that looked vaguely piratey or like a riffled peasant skirt. i cut each of them into 3 panels. then i sewed them back together, frankenstein style making 3 skirts with 5 matching panels each. Then i took some black&white striped fabric (bought at fabric store) and made a long waistband for the whole thing. each one was long enough to go at least 1.5 times around the wearers waist. we put in snaps so that they could be quickly removed

my 'trusty assistant' and Snap Pounding Queen:

For the Other Gang:
While we were cruising the thrift store for ideas, we noticed they happen to have 3 large matching red bridesmaid dresses. we came up with really glam pirate bustles. for each dress i separated the bust from the rest of the dress. then i cut the skirt open in the front. and gathered it to make the 'back' of the bustle. (more like from hip bone to hip bone for each gal.) we used a flat piece from the bodice to make a very short front. it was sewn on one side and had hidden snaps on the other, so that it could be easily removed while dancing. i made some improvised bustle tucks and used the crinoline from each dress, folded up, to give fullness under the bustle.

back:

front:

sadly, i don't have any good photos of the whole gang in costume or during the performance. the finish products were a big success and it was a really fun project to make.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 05:27:32 AM by photojenn - Reason: fixed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Tofu is Made
How Chinese Vinegar is Brewed
What is the Origin of Vinegar
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Spicy Tofu Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...