Allrighty, so I made this outfit for a thing called fanexpo in Toronto, it was in the summer but I am just getting into posting stuff on here, so it's getting here now! I also had pretty much NO money when I did this, so I only used fabric that I had purchased for other things that I already had. I think I spent about 25 buckaroos in total and that was for the doo-dads that went on stuff.
I wanted to make a steampunk outfit and I know how to sew pretty well, so i made the skirt and bustle first really easily. To make the skirt I just multiplied my waist size by three and cheated. I pleated the waist so that it sat flush to me at the front and was gather and pleated on the sides. To make the bustle I cut out three layers of fabric in a large half moon shape then I measured lines about 8 inches apart and sewed channels to feed an elastic through. I then put the elastic in, ruched the fabric ( gathered it together by tightening the elastic) and I had my shape. I was going to add an actual wire bustle but I figured my booty was large enough I didn't need to add anymore inches to it. I made a simple waistband and because I didn't want to fiddle with a zipper I just made it tie together at the back. I also attached the bustle piece with snaps. It worked really well. I also made a bunch of this trim by doing some box pleating every two inches. It took the longest, but I really like how in ended up looking.
I then started on the jacket. I kind of cheated with this in that I used a pattern for a jacket that I already had. I modified quite a bit of it. I took the sleeve pattern and widened it at the part where it attaches to the arms to that it would have a higher ruffled shoulder. I cut a new collar piece that sat high, so that I had that high necked look of the period. I shortened it so it sat perfectly where the skirt waistband was and I added a little tail at the back. I also pulled the collar over more than it was made to go originally so that I could have the open jacket with the chain across it. Then for the details : Out of that paper like kid's foam that you can buy at the dollar store all of these different shaped gears. I then painted them to look kind of metallic but a bit covered in rust and lime as well.
I made the hat out of a pop bottle, covered in fabric. I added bits from a cheap watch I got from a used store and voila! my ensemble was finished!
It was a lot of fun to wear it and to act like a silly victorian lady, I think i would like to push myself more with the steampunk ensembles, it's so fun to wear clothes from another period!