These are over a year old now, but since i took influence HEAVILY from so many posts here i thought i really should post my own project. i haven't posted enough do inline pictures yet. so clicky to flickr to see some pictures.
The back story is that we were making costumes for a pirate themed, group burlesque number. We needed two 'gangs' of pirates. 6 girls with very different body types have to be able to dance in them. oh yeah, they must be removable for the hot burlesque action. AND the choreographer really wanted one team to be 'spun out' of their skirts. meaning one person holds on to the skirt, the other one spins away and is suddenly undressed.
For the Spinning Gang would get 3 matching "pirate wench wrap skirts".
(in progress shot)
to do this i bought 4 or 5 thrift store skirts that looked vaguely piratey or like a riffled peasant skirt. i cut each of them into 3 panels. then i sewed them back together, frankenstein style making 3 skirts with 5 matching panels each. Then i took some black&white striped fabric (bought at fabric store) and made a long waistband for the whole thing. each one was long enough to go at least 1.5 times around the wearers waist. we put in snaps so that they could be quickly removed
my 'trusty assistant' and Snap Pounding Queen:
For the Other Gang:
While we were cruising the thrift store for ideas, we noticed they happen to have 3 large matching red bridesmaid dresses. we came up with really glam pirate bustles. for each dress i separated the bust from the rest of the dress. then i cut the skirt open in the front. and gathered it to make the 'back' of the bustle. (more like from hip bone to hip bone for each gal.) we used a flat piece from the bodice to make a very short front. it was sewn on one side and had hidden snaps on the other, so that it could be easily removed while dancing. i made some improvised bustle tucks and used the crinoline from each dress, folded up, to give fullness under the bustle.
sadly, i don't have any good photos of the whole gang in costume or during the performance. the finish products were a big success and it was a really fun project to make.