A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
839 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt/Coverlet ideas  (Read 2154 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anwa
« on: February 19, 2004 01:36:20 PM »

I'm currently making a yo-yo quilt. I love how easy and portable this quilt is and want to find other innovative ways to make a quilt similar to this. Anyone have any ideas?

When I search online I really only see different color schemes and the tradtional quilt block styles. I have two nieces and a new one on the way and I'd love to make each a quilt.

My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of asking for a sewing machine Tongue Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004 07:01:14 AM »

anwa, I have a yo-yo quilt that my grandmother made (we also call it a rosebud quilt)- it is made in 8 inch blocks, with approx. 3" borders inbetween the blocks. It also has a type of pillow sham - the kind you just lay across your bed pillows. The only material she purchased for it was for the borders - everything else was made from scraps. She could look at it and tell you that this fabric was from a dress she made for my cousin's wedding, this piece was from an old apron, etc. It's a wonderful memory quilt for me!

In terms of being portable, you could make a crazy quilt in blocks - also, maybe make a quilt from pieces of your nieces and nephews baby clothes as they outgrow them. I have clothes from my mom and kids that I will (someday!) make into baby quilts for my future grandchildren!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
anwa
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004 10:02:33 AM »

The scraps of outgrown clothes is a good idea... I also have some clothes I bought for them which were the wrong size! I could use them..

Hmm.. I did get a fat quarter book the other day and it had some really cute quilts.. Maybe I will have to get that sewing machine Wink

I simply can't wait to finish my first one which is blues and yellows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
knittykat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004 12:10:13 PM »

Making quilts from scraps is both frugal (and it cleans out your stash!) and wonderful in terms of memories and love.

I made a baby quilt (I don't have a baby, but I expect I will someday).  It has white fabric and 4 different colors of prints.  2 fabrics are from my grandmother's attic (I made my first apron and one of my first few dresses from the rest of the fabric), 1 is from the first dress I ever made, and 1 is from the apron I made for my best friend.  It is the first quilt I made and although it is not perfect you can tell it was quilted with love.

I love to look at my quilts and go "Oh, that was from my first quilt, that was from the living room curtains, that was from a dress, that was from a purse...."

Cheers,
Kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah Dixon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004 09:12:21 AM »

Hi, I 've done a quilt using large squares which I then sewed on cartoon characters (it was for my sons room).  Each of the squares could be carried around with me really easily.  I used felt for the characters.  When the 4 rectangles were finished I then sewed them together, and made them into a quilt wallhanging.

http://www.ddixon.force9.co.uk/pooh%20wallhanging%20small.jpg

It works best for childrens quilts

sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
William Hitchcock Talks About The Bitter Road to Freedom
Michael Bobelian Talks About Children of Armenia
M.T. Anderson Reveals
Stacy Johnson Talks About Life or Debt 2010
Erin Downing Wishes She Had This Talent
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...