A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doll House made entirely of cardboard - part 1  (Read 25221 times)
Tags for this thread: dollhouse , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: January 05, 2011 09:49:25 AM »

Not sure this is the right location for this project.  But I had to share what my sweetie made our daughter for Christmas this year.

He hasn't painted it, yet.  He wanted to let my daughter choose the colors and patterns.  He's going to also add some supports to the second floor.

My favorite part of the house is the delicate spiral staircase.

This was created for a challenge he and I set out to accomplish.  We decided that if Santa was buying our daughter store bought toys this year instead of relying on his elves, we were going to make our gifts for to her.  AND...we weren't going to buy any supplies for them.  :O  (I know, you're thinking, "How cheap are you people!", right?)  Well, she loved our gifts.  They were her favorites, even compared with what Santa bought.  Smiley  There are more pics of the mansion on my blog here.  I've posted about mine over in the "Toys, Dolls and Playthings" category here.

Hope your holidays have been the best ever!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011 10:18:33 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011 10:00:03 AM »

Now THAT is amazing!  Such detail!  I can imagine the amount of time (and love) that went into creating this.  *this rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011 10:07:49 AM »

This does rock! Fabulous job and that spiral staircase! I want to live in a pretty house like that.
We too did the Santa store buys and we recycled. My son loved his gifts from us. Just goes to show $ can't buy everything. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011 10:43:18 AM »

Wow, he did an amazing job!
It is so beautiful and has such amazing details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grimnir
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011 10:44:24 AM »

Wow. That is absolutely awesome! Fantastic workmanship there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wassail!
Grim
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011 10:50:45 AM »

ACK! This is great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011 11:34:37 AM »

wow!!  That is amazing!  And you aren't cheap at all, because honestly, most of the store bought items my kids receive end up in the bottom of the toy bin... The homemade ones get the most love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011 11:40:50 AM »

Thanks for commenting!  He should definitely be proud of him self on this one.  I'll pass on the praise to him when he gets home from work.

He put quite a bit of time (and love) in this project.  We started about 2 weeks before Christmas. Shocked  He worked on it on his breaks and into the wee hours at night.  He went through a few Exacto blades.  Good thing I had plenty, and he didn't run out.  Remember, in this challenge we weren't allowed to buy ANYTHING.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paperdollface
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011 11:57:35 AM »

Oh my GOD. This is exactly what I have dreamed about tackling for years and years and I just didn't know if it could be done. You've totally inspired me to make this happen this year! You and your husband are ARTISTS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GYPSiE - Jewelry for Free Spirits & Lost Souls
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011 12:27:56 PM »

Wow, you have totally taken cardboard dollhouses to the next level! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011 12:39:24 PM »

that dollhouse looks better than any storebought dollhouse ive seen-its more special too because it was built just for her and she can customize it!thanks for posting this it is really inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011 01:03:06 PM »

This is outstanding.  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011 01:46:44 PM »

I saw those footings and said, "Okay, either he's an architect or a civil engineer."

Fess up: Which?!

Lovely, by the way. Hope that either your daughter is gentle or your sweetie has nerves of steel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
amymarie78

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011 03:11:45 PM »

Holy Smokes is that fantastic!  Your hubby did an amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mouseatethekitty
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011 09:03:20 PM »

Oh my goodness gracious! I always thought that if I have a kid I wouldn't ever buy them any kind of cheap plastic toy (I'd leave it to the grandparents, they love that garbage) And you are making me realize how possible this actually is! Thank you so much! This is wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rice_girl
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011 09:09:08 PM »

this is freaking AMAZING!!! i'm in the process of making my own cardboard doll house (just for kicks) and mine is COMPLETELY paled in comparison to yours. you and your husband did a great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011 09:20:29 PM »

I once had a Barbie house that opened up like that; but nothing compares to this! I want one too!  Wish I knew a little girl I could make it for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011 12:36:43 AM »

What a great house.  I look forward to seeing photos when it is finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
mieljolie
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011 08:19:10 AM »

paperdollface, definitely try it.  There doesn't seem to be anything that compares to creating things out of what is considered nothing.  I think just about anything can be done, if we want to bad enough.

graced, LOL!!  Yes, he is indeed an architecture graduate!  Guess we stick with what we know, huh.  He hasn't designed much since school about 10 years ago.  Sad  I think his model building skills were aching to get out.  And, yes, our 8 year old daughter is surprisingly gentle with her toys.  More so than I ever was or am.  Smiley  Great part is the repair man is on call and not far away.  Wink  I like that since he built the house, he can add on or change things.  We need to make some matching furniture.  I asked him if she could be signed up for a furniture of the month club.  You know, a new piece every month.  Maybe when his hand and eyes recover from the house.  Wink

KLKing, I think there is a little girl in all of us that dreams of owning her own dollhouse.  You can make me one!  Hehe  Wink

Glad we could inspire others!  Thanks, again for all the kind words.  Though he pretends like it's no big deal, I think all of you have secretly made his day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011 08:34:11 AM »

Amazing!!!! You guys are AWESOME. I set out to make my granddaughter a kitchen out of cardboard but was discouraged, so I ended finding one that I liked for a good price made out of wood. This has truly inspired me to go ahead and make her a fridge, as well as a cabinet to match the store bought kitchen.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
imera
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011 03:10:58 PM »

it's so sad that I have a boy, would have loved to make a doll house.

It's amazing the house, you two should be sooooo proud, I remember when I was young I made myself doll houses, none were even close to this since I was extremely young, but I'm sure you feel the same way as I did, and what a lucky daughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011 05:13:36 PM »

It's gorgeous, and so much better than the ones I made as a child from cardboard boxes with cutouts from the JC Penny catalog your daughter is a lucky girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grave_13
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011 05:53:52 PM »

That's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011 07:28:56 PM »

WOW that is amazing (actually both gifts are) She is a very lucky girl, when we asked our dad for a doll house he brought home refrigerator box and told us to make ourselves (this is way better)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011 06:56:13 AM »

I knew it! My DD is itching to be an architect and her dad is an engineer...the concrete pad our house sits on (we live in swampland!) could launch the space shuttle because it's so sturdy and has so many footing! Cheesy

And this:
I asked him if she could be signed up for a furniture of the month club.  You know, a new piece every month. 

is an AMAZING idea!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
appledainty
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011 08:26:07 AM »

That is just incredible! Kudos to you and your husband! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://appledainty.com - My blog/art/shop site. Cheesy
diyday
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011 01:07:28 PM »

This gives me some ideas on how to create a cardboard castle that I was planning on building...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dnelsong
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011 02:25:22 PM »

This is a masterpiece!  Are there photos available of it decorated with your daughter's choices?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011 06:45:01 PM »

polkadotts, don't get discouraged.  With any new adventures, it usually takes lots of patience, practice, and planning.  Smiley

craftewoman , you just brought back some fond memories for me!  I used to make those shoe box houses with the catalog images.  So much fun peeping thru the hole in the box to see the rooms.  Cheesy  Guess, that wouldn't rate with today's technology age.

Rosie1981, that's better than what my dad would have told us.  He'd of said it was a waste of time and energy.  We'd be better off playing ball outside.  Sad  He so wished he'd had a boy.  Wink 

graced, he's still adding to the house before we can start the furniture and painting.  Just put in the supports between the floor and is wanting to add MORE windows to the attic floor.  Guess he wants her to be able to get good lighting in there.  That's good, I suppose.  Most of the dollhouses I've seen are pretty dark inside.

diyday, Oooo... a castle!  That sounds like a challenge and a half!  I really want a replica of Hogwart's.  So, my mom, daughter and I are attempting a custom one out of legos.  Just a gazillion pieces left to go!  We'd get a lot farther if we'd stop tearing things down to build other things.  Cheesy

dnelsong, sorry, no photos of decor yet.  Still can't get the exacto and glue outa daddy's hand long enough for us to get in there to paint.  Smiley But, daughter said she wants the whole thing gold and silver sparkles.   Roll Eyes  We may need to do some negotiating.  Smiley

Thanks, again to everyone for all the comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011 07:44:06 AM »

I'm not so sure you should paint it. How about trying to cover it with scrapbook paper and other materials? Paint will make the cardboard get all mucky. My thought is that if you use scrapbooking or wrapping paper with SPRAY ADHEASIVE, the cardboard will not get too much moisture absorbed.
You could always give it a light coat of spray paint to do the cut edges, and smaller places, that would be hard to cover with paper.
BUT... definitely an out-doors application!
  Then you could even use mettalic papers, ribbons, and glitterry papers. Not to mention sequin trims and stuff.
 What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011 08:14:52 AM »

KLKing, you bring up a good point.  I've been pondering this.  We were planning to spray paint the whole thing before applying any other paint.  That should seal it, hopefully.  But, that won't happen until our weather clears up over here.  I'd considered wrapping paper or shelf paper.  Maybe some fabric scraps for carpet.  We'll see.  I'll probably do some tests before I apply anything.  I don't want to mees up all his hard work.  I'll post my test results on my blog when I get around to trying it, if you're curious.

Thanks for the suggestions.  If all else fails we have lots of glitter here to cover up any mistakes.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011 04:14:03 PM »

I look forward to seeing it! A very thin coat of spray paint would be a brilliant idea!  ( I still hope you try some paper. You can cut out windows and stuff from the JC Pnny's decorating catalogs. They're free! Plus lot's of textures.
  Just trying to throw out some ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011 05:50:18 PM »

KLKing, magazines are a great idea!  I've got some old Design Toscano catalogs with medieval style replica furniture in them.  May have some good images for pictures.  Thanks, again.  I appreciate any and all ideas! 

The daughter talked us into attempting some house plants and furniture out of her Model Magic that she got from Santa this weekend.  That is some strange substance.  Kinda foamy, spongy clay.  Didn't work all that well for what we tried.  Dried really fast.  Might make really nice furniture cushions, though.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011 12:39:07 AM »

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I may have to build a doll house and figure out how to ship it to my friend's daughter! It would have to be easy to compact. I think yours folds up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011 09:53:15 AM »

...I think yours folds up?

Well, it folds in, not "up".  Smiley  But, I'm sure you could design one that would pack away easier with a removable porch.  That wouldn't be a bad idea for storage.  Wish we'd thought of that.  Smiley  Ours folds in to a dimension of 23.5"Hx14.5"Wx14.5"D (with about a 4"D porch/balcony on front).  When it's open, it's 28.5"W.  That's pretty big.  He sized it to a table she has in her room.

I posted pics of the plants we made on my blog.  Don't recommend the clay we used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012 11:56:45 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2011 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
mssjss
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012 12:54:34 PM »

That's amazing!!!!! What a great job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012 05:31:01 PM »

Intense and awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
d-craft
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012 06:17:04 AM »

Wow, that's very impressive !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012 12:10:01 PM »

I am really thinking of making a MINI version. It has to be tiny, or there will be no place to keep it in here! I am thinking to cover the cardboard with paper as I go, since it would be hard if it was tiny.
  This project is very inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012 01:43:15 PM »

I can't remember if I've commented on this already or not.... but even if I have it totally deserves a second comment. It's totally fabulous!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012 01:43:34 PM by Knickertwist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

badwithscissors
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012 06:49:40 AM »

This house is perfect. I want one like that when I'm grown up. And it still gets painted, right? Would be great so see the final final product  Grin You know, move in a few chairs, have a nice kitchen and comfy  beds, maybe a nice settee...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 04:06:12 AM by badwithscissors » THIS ROCKS   Logged
heavenlyharpstrings
Dana Rhea

Photography,Crafts, Music, Gardening,Baking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012 10:59:11 AM »

Cheesy  I lOVE the doll house ! Very Cool !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012 12:37:48 AM »

You know, I like to keep this post saved in my list, because one day I'm going to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chyn
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013 09:02:04 AM »

woooow  nice, how much time did you spend on it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013 10:46:26 AM »

Daddy spent a few hours every night for just about two weeks.  I'm guess it was well over 30 hours.  He's added a few details since. 

He added the monagrammed arches and supports.  But, we still haven't been able to paint it.  Daughter refuses to take her furniture out of it.  :/  Guess she likes it as it is.

Oh, but she did move the critter families out.  They've down sized to a smaller house.  Now, the mini lalaloopsy are occupying the mansion.  Smiley  Daughter has built them some new furniture out of pop caps, little boxes, toothpicks and assorted other found doodads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunty.hela

Would love to do personal swaps?!?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2013 08:32:48 PM »

wow, this is so awesome... my niece would so love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wulfae
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013 02:38:04 PM »

Oh my goodness! When I was little, we used to make doll houses out of cereal boxes, and I loved them so much. They certainly never looked this cool, though!

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013 04:42:36 AM »

Wow! I am totally blown away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Simple Ways to Spring Clean Your Skin
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
4 Contouring Mistakes to Avoid
My Transformation From A Brunette To A Blond
Camo Confessions Reveal The True Beauty Beyond Cosmetics
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...