A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does this look too hard for a newb?  (Read 1033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amal Kotay
« on: January 05, 2011 04:02:58 AM »

I've been in love with this design for... Well, some time now. I was wondering if the design would be too hard for someone experienced, because if so, I'll rethink my method. I was planning to hand-embroider the design on a large piece of black cloth. Full scale (or, as close to full-scale as I can estimate - I haven't done the exact computations), it would be about 60 cm. tall. And the cloth would be a lot bigger.

It's only one color, but still. Opinions?

Design in question: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/618/wallxii20.jpg
(just the red part)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starwarspunk
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011 08:44:40 AM »

The project sounds large for a n00b (almost two feet?) and using one color might be boring for some people.  For me, the size might be a bit discouraging, but I think the design is really cool!  Maybe you could make a smaller version first. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011 10:05:56 AM »

I say go for it! It will be time consuming but you can pull it off. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to make the pattern for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amal Kotay
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011 12:45:24 AM »

I say go for it! It will be time consuming but you can pull it off. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to make the pattern for it?

I still haven't done research for it yet, but I'm sure there's a program for patterns. I just wanted opinions for now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011 09:04:12 PM »

It would be time consuming. Depending on what stitch you use it could be alright for a beginner project. Would I recommend it as a first project? No, but I believe that you need to love what you're making otherwise it's no fun at all. If you love this design, and are willing to be challenged and spend lots of time on it, I'd say go for it.

The only thing I would worry about is that if you try to do this design in a stitch other than backstitch or stem stitch, like satin stitch is that you'll get frustrated with how long it takes and therefore abandon embroidery all together. But like I said before, if you love the design, go for it.

For creating the design, there's a few different options. You could print out the design, trace it, then use a copier to enlarge it to the size you want. My preferred method is a little more complicated and requires a software program that can convert bitmap images (ie jpegs) to vector format. Then you can resize the pattern to your hearts content without worrying about pixelization.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011 03:17:18 PM »

I say go for it. Do the outline first, probably in back stitch. You can then decide later if/how to fill it in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anna_lowenstein
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011 12:33:45 AM »

As the others have said, it wouldn't be too hard, but it would take a long time to complete (depending on which stitch you're planning to use). The most demanding part would be at the beginning - copying out the pattern, marking it on the cloth etc. After that it would just be a matter of sitting down and getting on with it! Since it's all one colour, it wouldn't be difficult - you could do it while watching television or chatting with a friend.

Whether you'd finish it depends on your personality. Are you someone who takes things up very enthusiastically and then drops them? In that case, it might be wiser to go for something smaller. Or are you the sort of person who works on to the end? As long as you didn't expect it to be ready in a couple of weeks, this could be very therapeutic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make a Customized Lipstick Palette with Pill Cases
How To Get a Natural Flush
How to Make Your Own Makeup Brush Travel Set
How To Highlight & Contour Your Neck To Appear Younger
Our Favorite Summer Powders
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...