A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap Fabric Shops in Melbourne  (Read 5253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jadepearl
« on: January 05, 2011 03:35:48 AM »

Hello there!!!

I am wondering if there's any cheap fabric shops in Melbourne.  I managed to get a printed Dora and Ben10 fabric for nearly $8 per meter and a stripe cotton fabric at $2 per meter (Xmas sales) at Spotlight.  I am very new in sewing and so far, I only managed to sew a simple dress and a simple pants for my kids.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Happy New Year 2011!!!

Cheers,
jp Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyphunk
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011 06:55:00 PM »

Hi jp!

Welcome to the world of sewing Smiley

I'm not too sure where abouts your from in Melbourne, but there are afew places/suggestions.

Firstly, as your new to sewing I'd pick up a 10metre roll of calico from Lincraft for $30. This is a cheap fabric you can use to "test" your patterns, e.g make a sample out of the calico first, then out of your good fabric. I swear by this stuff. For some reason spotlight doesnt always have it, and they charge up to $12 per metre for calico, so its best to buy the roll.

Secondly, one of my favourite places to go to fabrics is:
GJs Discount Fabrics, they are in Carlton on Nicholson St. They have a customer car park behind their store, and have 3 levels, with piles of "scrap fabrics". I bought cottons and lycras for afew dollars a piece, when they are normally 10-30 bucks per metre.
Op Shops - not all the op shops have a "crafty/fabric/etc" section, but some of them do, and you can pick up metres of metres of fabrics for perhaps $5-$15 dollars. Ofcourse, give them a good inspection to make sure they have no stains/weird odours, and give them a very good wash or two, followed by an iron and its pretty cheap.
Some of my favourite fabrics have come from op shops.
Spotlight - you have mentioned this one, i'd suggest getting one of those VIP cards (they cost nothing) and when theres a sale, sometimes they will send you a $10 gift voucher, or discount on special fabrics, usually theres a regular price and a 'vip price'.
Its only happened afew times, but sometimes i get the email from a friend who gets emails from spotlight, and i get the "spend $100, and save $40", so basically i get $100 worth of stuff, for $60.
Other then that, have a look at etsy supplies/ebay de-stashes/garage sales.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackabbey
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011 04:34:25 AM »

Hi
There is a cheap fabric shop in Dandenong. I do not know where you are in Melbourne, but there is a direct train line from the CBD to Dandenong, and the shop is about 10 minutes walk from there. The shop is called Clayton fabrics, and is on Walker St. It is a small shop, so always has different stock. No trims, decorations or accessories, just material. I have not found anything there above $9 per metre, and most stuff is 3-4 dollars a metre. I love this place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011 02:32:18 PM »

Spotlight & Lincraft are good with their sales. Spotlight has last season's printed cotton material for $5-8 a metre on sale at our local store. I second the op-shops. Also keep an eye out for when Kmart, Big W or Target have their sheets on clearance. You can pick up sheet sets for less than $10 & that gives you plenty of material to work with
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
Apulia
Wannabe professional

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011 08:03:20 PM »

Try Rathdowne Remnants in Victoria St North Carlton (just off Lygon) too.  Excellent range of natural fibre materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time and tide and newly dyed fleece wait for no-one.
nachturnal
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012 04:17:41 AM »

I'm riiiiiight in the CBD.  There's a crafts pop-up type store that shows up every six months or so next to Queen Vic Market (on Franklin St, you have to look for a sign outside a little alley and go through to find a loft space), and sometimes the craftsters there are done with their fabric and sell it for really cheap.  I managed to pick up seven rolls of fabric for like $12 last time, and it's all stuff that costs about that much per METRE at Clegs and the like!

Seconding Lincraft, but if you're just after small amounts of fabric and can get into the city, Clegs on Elizabeth St (between Collins and Flinders) has excellent remnants sales.  I just picked up 3 metres of heavy fabric (I think it's cotton, but I'm not sure) for about $10, which is well down from their usually high prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012 03:41:56 PM »

I wish they would advertise the one near the market. We're just over an hour out of the city so we don't go in very often
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
3 Reasons Why Pencil Skirts Are the New Mini
Need to Know: Oversized Sweaters, Google Flight Finder, and Fab Slippers
Cara Delevingne and Taylor Swift Rock Runway Show
Isabel Marant Collection Hits H&M
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...