A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: remembrance Christmas ornaments  (Read 803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandys_momma
« on: September 08, 2011 03:37:25 AM »

I'm not sure what to call the items I want to make. But here's my idea:

My father-in-law recently passed away.
I want to make family members a Christmas tree ornament out of his worn flannel shirts.

Now for the questions:

What shape would you think appropriate? Heart? Diamond? Star? Or something else?

How about some type of little saying on the back, like "In our hearts forever" with his date of birth and death? Or something more involved? (Remember I'll have to embroider this, so the fewer the words, the better.)

I'd like to print out a tag of some sort to attach to it. What would I say on the tag?

Any and all ideas/comments welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

acorn86
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011 05:41:38 AM »

I think that this is a great idea and that your family will appreciate this gift. The first Christmas after a loss is so hard. It feels like everyone just wants you to move on and forget and you feel guilty for the few moments of happiness that you can steal.

Anyway, I think that any shape you choose would be appropriate. Personally, I think that a heart or star would be nice. Also I was wondering if there would be anyway to print a small picture of your father-in-law on fabric to make the front of the ornaments? I know that there is some way to do this/ a business somewhere that can do this, but I'm not really sure how/ where.

I think that the saying on the back would be nice or even just his name and birth/ death dates. Or, if you were feeling really adventurous, you could e embroider a short Bible verse, line from a poem or song, etc on the back of the ornament. These could even be tailored to each recipient. (I know that would take a LOT of work!)  Whatever you decide to do, you want to make it really special. Your family will treasure these for a long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lionne
brain and food color eating were-zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011 03:36:59 PM »

I would make it star shaped.
I don't know if I or my parents made it up. I didn't believe it was true, but is was a good comforter. When my grandpa passed away I said he  became a star. Still now I sometimes look into the night sky, look for the brightest star and know that it's him. My first dog is up there, too.
Sorry for this nearly off topic story, I just felt I had to share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/lionne

I'm interested in personal swaps.
For a project I'm in need of Christmas countdown inchies! If you're interested and/or want more information feel free to pm me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Right Way To Tease Your Hair: Hair Tips
Party Hair for Every Length
Short Hair Trend Taking Over Hollywood
How To Clip In Hair Extensions And Curl For Big Volume
Exclusive: How to Add Instant Bangs With Clip-In Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...