A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: new bookshelf for jack, thanks to my dad  (Read 1568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jlh326
« on: January 04, 2011 01:29:10 PM »

i saw this bookshelf online at target.
http://www.target.com/Kidkraft-KidKraft-Sling-Bookshelf/dp/B0018MCVH4/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton
but, after reading the reviews, i changed my mind. there were quite a few comments about the quality of fabric. so, i emailed a pic to my dad. together, we decided to use the rails from my sons old crib, and he would cut the sides, bottom, and back. my mom gave me some muslin she had left over from a project. i sewed pockets to slide the rails through. this is the outcome. very sturdy, and holds a lot of books. debating on dying the muslin.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011 01:42:33 PM »

very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011 07:09:44 AM »

Yours is much better than the one in the store!!! Looks much roomier also. Genius!!! I would dye the muslin to match the decor in the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
ewright607
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011 08:38:08 PM »

How were the sides made? Are they a sheet of plywood cut into the general shape and then notched to hold the rails? Very unique storage solution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leigh7911
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011 09:57:06 PM »

Really well done! I was debating making one of these until I found one (not this big though!) at a thrift store for like 7 bucks. Your son will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jlh326
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011 08:15:35 AM »

How were the sides made? Are they a sheet of plywood cut into the general shape and then notched to hold the rails? Very unique storage solution!
yes, he used plywood, maybe 3/4" thick, cut into a triangle. he notched circles on one side, and on the other, he notched all the way out to the edge. so it allows the rails to be taken out if needed. i sewed pockets in a long length of fabric, maybe 2 yds. i doubled it, just to make sure the weight of the books did not rip it. i think i will have him make a bigger one. too many books on there now!! it works like a charm. my son loves it. it makes his books very accessible.

if you are going to make one, i would suggest notching the wood out to the top edge. on a few rails, he had the notch out to the front. so, we have to be careful not to pull it forward, because it slips out a little bit. and make sure there is enough space between the rails to allow books to fit. the bottom is a bit snug. i put shorter, smaller books in there.

thanks for the compliments everyone!! pretty proud of my dad! we work pretty good together!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DEmiurgic
Little O'l Me

Art & Dancing, my two passions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011 08:11:27 AM »

Such a good idea to keep the crib and make something new, thanks for sharing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. --Theodore Roosevelt
ewright607
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011 07:52:24 PM »

Awesome, thank you! Maybe if you cut the sides in a stairstep pattern it would be easier to cut the notches out the top rather than the sides so you wouldn't have the slipping problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set for Museum Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Landscape Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Fireworks Scene
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...