A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,538
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first sewing projects--a couple of aprons. EDITED: Added third apron!  (Read 4287 times)
Tags for this thread: apron  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tickertape
« on: January 04, 2011 01:03:53 PM »

Hi all!  My wonderful husband surprised me with a sewing machine for Christmas (with an adorable sewing table--that man knows my taste!)  So, I've been on a bit of a sewing frenzy.  A week ago I'd never made a stitch, but I'm happy with what I've done so far.  

I'd eventually love to make my own clothes (I have major fitting issues with store-bought clothes--it's very frustrating).  Until I reach that point, I immediately thought of aprons!  I absolutely love aprons and have too many already, but they are a great way to practice.  

I drafted both of these myself.  I find half-aprons much more comfortable than full ones, so that's what I made!

Excuse the derriere

Besides a few pillows and a simple totebag, this is the first thing I sewed.  I didn't plan well and decided to cover up my messy seam with rickrack (which works for me because I love rickrack anyway).

Enjoying it very much!  It's so rewarding to have something come out looking EXACTLY like you wanted--that's one reason I love crafts.

This is the fabric that I used as the band on the above apron.  I have to say I prefer it that way--I don't like it as much as the dominant fabric.  This one definitely has a different shape than the first, which is something I wanted to experiment with.  I also think I over-starched the fabric

Now I'm trying to keep myself away from the fabric store because I really do not need any more aprons!

I'm a novice, so if you have any advice or recommendations (regarding anything!), I'd love to hear it Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 12:59:51 PM by tickertape » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My lifestyle, food, fashion, and craft blog - http://inthewabe.wordpress.com/
Ravelry - http://www.ravelry.com/people/tickertape
Bohemian.Blitzkrieg
Rollergirl

Fine Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011 01:10:26 PM »

I really like them, they have such a simple and sweet sense about them.
Like you'd wear them while making cupcakes or something.
I really love the long bow in the back that ties it together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like: Reading, good literature, old movies, sci fi, steampunk, Burton, Roller Derby, Owls, corsets, tattoos, Post Punk music, 1920s-30s,  etc.

I play Roller Derby. 03/02/2010-present

Roller Derby Swap Round 3: Crafting ideas!
OrangeKnickers
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011 01:11:24 PM »

Those are really cute, especially the first one.  I love that brown fabric.  The photos are also very well done.  What kind camera did you use?  Is your husband a professional photographer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Will do private swaps for keys, cogs, and steampunk goodness.
tickertape
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011 01:18:22 PM »

Thank you for the compliments!

Those are really cute, especially the first one.  I love that brown fabric.  The photos are also very well done.  What kind camera did you use?  Is your husband a professional photographer?
ha, no my husband is definitely not a photographer!  Besides the (blurry) photo of me with the stand mixer, I took these all myself.  I use a Canon Digital Rebel XTi with a 50mm f/1.4 lens--and lots of help from a tripod and a remote control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeleyes2009
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011 02:24:22 PM »

You did a great job! I can't believe that you just started sewing. My advice to you is take your time (this is the hardest thing to learn at least it was for me ) also if you are going to get into garment making make a ham and a seam roll for pressing your garment while sewing. A iron that has a steam setting works great. Pressing while you sew make the garment or item you are sewing look so much more finish. Take the time to iron. Use good quality thread for projects you sew especially gathers (I learnt this one the hard way). Don't be discouraged if something doesn't turn out the way that you wanted just learn from it and just do it a different way the next time. Also stock posts for new ideas and techniques you will learn a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickertape
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011 02:50:23 PM »

You did a great job! I can't believe that you just started sewing. My advice to you is take your time (this is the hardest thing to learn at least it was for me ) also if you are going to get into garment making make a ham and a seam roll for pressing your garment while sewing. A iron that has a steam setting works great. Pressing while you sew make the garment or item you are sewing look so much more finish. Take the time to iron. Use good quality thread for projects you sew especially gathers (I learnt this one the hard way). Don't be discouraged if something doesn't turn out the way that you wanted just learn from it and just do it a different way the next time. Also stock posts for new ideas and techniques you will learn a lot!

Thanks so much for all the advice!  I haven't bought any sewing books or anything so am basically just playing around for now.  Definitely keeping note of everything you said!  I am very diligent with an iron before sewing anything, and I'll look into getting/making a ham and seam.

Now you have me second-guessing my thread!  I just bought the only kind they had at Hobby Lobby the day I got the machine
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011 03:46:44 PM »

Those are gorgeous!! Wonderful work, I can't believe you just started sewing! The colors and patterns go so well together and I love the additions of pockets and rickrack. I also love your pretty blue stand mixer Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011 08:27:50 PM »

You did such a good job on them!

The one thing I noticed is that the thread line around the bottom hem of the green one, where the ruffles are attached, is rather... wavy. It comes with practice, but slow down a little bit and guide your fabric through the machine so that the edge always stays the same distance from the foot of the machine (the little thing that lifts and lowers to keep the fabric in place and help feed it through, in case you didn't know Smiley ). It will help keep everything neat and tidy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tickertape
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011 08:45:57 PM »

You did such a good job on them!

The one thing I noticed is that the thread line around the bottom hem of the green one, where the ruffles are attached, is rather... wavy. It comes with practice, but slow down a little bit and guide your fabric through the machine so that the edge always stays the same distance from the foot of the machine (the little thing that lifts and lowers to keep the fabric in place and help feed it through, in case you didn't know Smiley ). It will help keep everything neat and tidy.

haha yes, there is definitely a swerve at the one side of that fabric!  I was going to say something about it but didn't want to draw attention.  I've found keeping straight lines to be my main problem but have been practicing by drawing straight lines on a piece of paper and following them (without the thread--just making holes).  For that reason I don't feel I can give these aprons as a gift or anything quite yet! I've approved a lot so far--I was definitely much more unsteady at first.  I go pretty slow but have found once I get out of line it takes a while to get it back straight (and it can't be fixed without doing it all over!  I will probably rip that hem out and redo it all eventually.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011 09:11:50 AM »

Nicely  done! Love the colors and a simple way to start your lifelong journey of sewing!

As you make more things, your stitching will become straighter, so practice practice practice!

I am also a big fan of using trim to accentuate the garment (and, cover up mistakes that we all still make! Cheesy)...

I have just one little suggestion for next time, since you asked:  Whenever you have a seam that is centered like the waistband of your apron, it is nice to try to match the pattern or center the pattern...it is such a focal point of the garment that you want it to look its best.

And a tip: You can use a chopstick to make perfect little points in your apron strings!

I love both of them and hope to see many more sewing projects in 2011!

PS I would not redo what you have done...just learn and move on!  I personally have baskets of unfinished projects that I was going to redo because they were not "perfect"...if I had to do it all over again, I would have just accepted them as they were and moved on! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011 09:12:27 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Linda Ronstadt Talks About Her Career and New Memoir
Dwayne Ballen: What Are You Reading?
Author Nicholas Sparks LIVE
Psychiatrist Pens Psychological Thriller Romance Novel
Carolyn Dalgliesh Talks About the Sensory Child Gets Organized
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...